Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 12:41 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Im speaking about Suboxone.

After this drug literally saved my life, myself, family and friends thought this drug should be given out for free, (without a prescription), in fact, they should be handing it out on street corners!

I have never understood why this drug is so tightly controlled, as the title of this thread is...what sense does it make to restrict a drug that keeps people OFF Heroin, ( a much more dangerous drug)?

Thankfully Ive been seeing more and more calls for it to be available without a prescription, I guess it just took some time for people to come to their senses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 01:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
It should be used as part of a total rehab program. You cannot just pop a pill and call it a day.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/325827

"Yes, Suboxone is a controlled substance. It’s classified as a schedule three (III) prescription drug. This means that it has an accepted medical use, but it may cause physical or psychological dependence and may be abused.

The government has created special rules for how schedule III drugs can be prescribed by a doctor and dispensed by a pharmacist. Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you more.

Doctors can only prescribe this drug for opioid dependence after receiving special training and certification through the U.S. federal government."

Old 03-06-2021, 03:57 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
you know it's also a drug of abuse, right? while it may keep people off heroin it's also bought and sold on the streets for recreational use.

Old 03-06-2021, 04:18 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
As a pharmacist that refused to stock Suboxone, I can tell you why.

Every addict that we dispensed Suboxone (or Methadone) to (before I refused to stock because we lost more from shoplifting than we ever made by dispensing) only used it long enough to reduce their heroin needs. Then they went back on H

The Drs in our area (and from the journals, all over the country) are mostly pill mills

Old 03-07-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
As a pharmacist that refused to stock Suboxone, I can tell you why.

Every addict that we dispensed Suboxone (or Methadone) to (before I refused to stock because we lost more from shoplifting than we ever made by dispensing) only used it long enough to reduce their heroin needs. Then they went back on H

The Drs in our area (and from the journals, all over the country) are mostly pill mills
My doctors opinion on this is, its totally fine if a person needs to be on Suboxone the rest of their lives...if it prevents them from using a much more dangerous drug, what is the harm?

More and more doctors are starting to see it this way, addiction will always be something the addict struggles with, taking Suboxone is like 'maintenance'.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
you know it's also a drug of abuse, right? while it may keep people off heroin it's also bought and sold on the streets for recreational use.
Suboxone does not really produce a 'high' like Heroin does, its no surprise its bought and sold on the street, lots of people use it to stay off Heroin, (thats a good thing imo).

Old 03-07-2021, 01:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Suboxone does not really produce a 'high' like Heroin does, its no surprise its bought and sold on the street, lots of people use it to stay off Heroin, (thats a good thing imo).
I do agree with this. The moralists believe you're of bad character if you can't 100% kick any use of ANYTHING. So what if you are vaping or using a nicotine patch to quite smoking? Sure, your risk isn't zero but it's orders of magnitude less than before. BUT - according to many you're still a dirty addict - weak and low moral character. Of course this is only magnified when you start talking about things like coke and heroin. I think that however you can lower your risk, DO IT...and keep trying to do all that you can. But something is better than nothing. The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Suboxone is morphine based. There are babies being born addicted to it. Morphine is an opioid, just like Heroin is. That is why it is regulated like it is. If someone on Suboxone breaks their leg and goes to an ER, the only thing that can be given to the patient for pain is Fentanyl.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:52 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a friend who snorts methadone. Before meeting this person, I never assumed that either methadone or Suboxone were drugs that people took/would take recreationally.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:33 AM

524 posts, read 152,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do agree with this. The moralists believe you're of bad character if you can't 100% kick any use of ANYTHING. So what if you are vaping or using a nicotine patch to quite smoking? Sure, your risk isn't zero but it's orders of magnitude less than before. BUT - according to many you're still a dirty addict - weak and low moral character. Of course this is only magnified when you start talking about things like coke and heroin. I think that however you can lower your risk, DO IT...and keep trying to do all that you can. But something is better than nothing. The perfect is the enemy of the good.
The objections to the use of this drug are not solely morals-based, (though there is nothing wrong with bringing up moral questions).

As the pharmacist upthread says, addicts bring a slew of other problems with them wherever they go. For storeowners it's shoplifting and robbery, and in general making the place unattractive and even scary to other customers. The environs of any urban methadone clinic are unattractive, with characters nodding out on the sidewalk, in doorways, urinating in the open, leaving garbage, soliciting, and more.

The moral side of it can't be ignored, however, as it is a spiritual battle as well as a physical one. If you don't believe in God, you can call it an emotional/psychological battle. However you define it, no one is getting clean and sober simply by substituting one substance for another. I want less, not more government regulation in most things, but simply to let this stuff be sold OTC would be highly irresponsible and lead to a worse situation than the one we have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness