Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times

Advertisements

My apologies if there is a different thread about it. I did not see it when I looked quickly.

I thought this was very interesting and possibly hopeful.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2773108

and another more colloquial article, with some background:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fluvoxa...es-2021-03-07/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 08:39 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
My apologies if there is a different thread about it. I did not see it when I looked quickly.

I thought this was very interesting and possibly hopeful.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2773108

and another more colloquial article, with some background:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fluvoxa...es-2021-03-07/
Yep. 60 Minutes just did a story on it.

--

Old 03-09-2021, 11:40 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Potential users better consider the advantages/disadvantages. Once you start an SSRI, it's exceedingly difficult to stop.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
IMO one of the most important drugs being examined is an oral antiviral pill, Molnupiravir. It has proven effective in Phase 2 clinical trials, and is being prepared for Phase 3 Clinical Trial. It uses a 5 day at home pill regimen, similar to Tamiflu.

This would be a game changer to have a prescription pill that can be taken at home. The problem with the current treatments is the need for infusion, which requires going to a medical center and can be impacted by capacity challenges.

I will be closely watch this. The SSRI in this thread would be a nice additional treatment in the armamentarium, but to have a target antiviral for COVID would be a game changer.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 999,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Potential users better consider the advantages/disadvantages. Once you start an SSRI, it's exceedingly difficult to stop.
Considering I'm in a high risk category, and the advantage could be saving my life (or potentially THOUSANDS of $ in hospital bills), that's one disadvantage I'll risk.

And a quick check shows that the people who have real problems stopping have been on them for a long time. This would likely be a 14 day course.

--

Old 03-09-2021, 03:38 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Considering I'm in a high risk category, and the advantage could be saving my life (or potentially THOUSANDS of $ in hospital bills), that's one disadvantage I'll risk.
You're making an informed decision, kudos. But there are more disadvantages than the one mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
And a quick check shows that the people who have real problems stopping have been on them for a long time. This would likely be a 14 day course.
True, but a layman (and even some prescribers) might start using higher doses, and/or for a longer term, thinking that would count as prophylaxis.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:54 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I fully agree with this. I am internal medicine trained, and didn't prescribe this much during my residency; obviously Psych would prescribe most of these, but SSRI's aren't known to commonly cause addiction/dependence. And if they are being prescribed for short-term use, which presumably they would for an acute COVID infection, I don't think that would be a huge concern.

The bigger concern when these are being prescribed over a longer course is if a patient suddenly stops taking them. When you first start taking them they can be difficult for some patients too because they can cause pretty bad nausea and diarrheal/stomach issues in people (in addition to other general discomfort symptoms). These usually wane after a few days of getting used to them, and would be well worth it to treat COVID, but it is something to be aware of. When people abruptly stop taking SSRI, people can get the similar withdrawal symptoms that may intensify, so they are usually waned off of them. If there are any Psychiatrists on this board, they would likely be able to better speak to these impacts.

Again, assuming this SSRI would be taking over a short duration, I don't see much problem (in terms of any addiction).

Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I'm not sure I fully agree with this. I am internal medicine trained, and didn't prescribe this much during my residency; obviously Psych would prescribe most of these, but SSRI's aren't known to commonly cause addiction/dependence. And if they are being prescribed for short-term use, which presumably they would for an acute COVID infection, I don't think that would be a huge concern.

The bigger concern when these are being prescribed over a longer course is if a patient suddenly stops taking them. When you first start taking them they can be difficult for some patients too because they can cause pretty bad nausea and diarrheal/stomach issues in people (in addition to other general discomfort symptoms). These usually wane after a few days of getting used to them, and would be well worth it to treat COVID, but it is something to be aware of. When people abruptly stop taking SSRI, people can get the similar withdrawal symptoms that may intensify, so they are usually waned off of them. If there are any Psychiatrists on this board, they would likely be able to better speak to these impacts.

Again, assuming this SSRI would be taking over a short duration, I don't see much problem (in terms of any addiction).
According to the OP's link, the dosage during that trial was 100 mg 3 times a day for 15 days. Short duration, very high. Though it certainly varies, a maintenance dose of fluvoxamine to treat depression can start as low as 20 mg daily up to a maximum of 80 mg. According to drug info, taking it for more than 6 weeks raises the likelihood for withdrawal, but that's at much lower dosages.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:23 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Not necessarily true. I was on Luvox, the subject of this thread, for seven years. Weaned myself off over a period of months, twelve years ago. It wasn't difficult.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Antidepressant drugs suppress the inflammatory response from the immune system (and works like a corticosteroid in that regard)

Antidepressants and the immune system

It's not clear that it prevents infections from spreading, merely buys time for the body to fight the virus without a cytokine storm. It would require an antiviral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness