Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 05:11 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Yeah, working out is important to burn up that alcohol. I ride the stationary bike and do weights.

What do you drink? I drink wine and whiskey but leaning towards whiskey. I enjoy my drinks and don't drink to either drown my sorrows or to deal with stress.
Mostly whiskey here as well. To be specific, bourbon and whiskey. I go through cycles. I feel a scotch kick coming on soon.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 07:55 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Well my father died at 48 from alcohol and cigarette abuse. He was drunk every weekend and a couple of days during the week. He would drink several beers a day.

I had a good friend that disappeared into the bottle and died just days after her 59th birthday. She would drink a bottle of wine a day. She did that for the ten years that I knew her.

I lost another friend almost two years ago at 63. He drank every day, quit for a few years, and started drinking again months before he died. He was also a smoker. He had a massive heart attack in the car on the way to the hospital.

Everybody is different but all three of them died way too soon.

Old 03-12-2021, 08:09 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Quote:
Would you say that I am high risk just having a double whiskey when I get home from work after five, have a double whiskey at dinner, and just one more double whiskey after dinner with a good cigar?
Yes you are, you just don’t know it yet.

An acquaintance- large extra tall man was drinking 4-5 drinks equivalent all his life daily- after work only, never in the mornings. Mostly wine in his later years - before it was more of hard liquor )
1 drink=1.5 oz of hard liquor or 4 oz of wine. It does not look like much, especially with dinner, etc

Took him 40 years or so to all of a sudden develop serious cravings, shaky hands and being unable to function unless he had a drink
He shared that he was “amazed” and “shocked” by the power of alcohol cravings which only abated after a drink.

He nearly lost his family ( the wife noticed the change in him she did not like, attributed it to alcohol, but have not realized that he was dependent until he “fessed up”) and he even briefly thought of suicide- he felt absolutely helpless. Still very functioning at his high level job.
He did have a good support system and was very intelligent.

He tried moderation, did not work: he had to quit completely- and luckily was able to do that- in order to have his life back.
Actually, I think he was not a full blown alcoholic yet- as he was not in denial as alcoholics usually are

The lesson for me was seeing how awed and mesmerized he was when the alcohol finally took over his physical body, his feelings and his thoughts.

It scared the h*** out of me...

People now are acutely aware of a smoking harm. In the past- not so much, you can find the vintage ads where doctors promote smoking
The same marketing machinery is promoting alcohol now.
There lies the danger. Some genetically pre-disposed to alcoholism sooner rather than later; but all are at risk.
Even if a person is not an alcoholic yet- the damage to the body is substantial- heart disease, cancer, strokes, liver, etc.

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-12-2021 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-12-2021, 10:07 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Everyone here seems to be focusing on the affects of alcohol on the liver. But alcohol affects much more than the liver. It contributes to heart disease, several kinds of cancer, and neurological issues. Just because it's not noticeably affecting someone now, doesn't mean it won't down the line. I also think people underestimate what is considered heavy drinking. The CDC defines it as 15 or more drinks per week for men. That's only about 2 drinks a day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3908707/

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm...e%20per%20week.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think a lot of this depends on what you drink and your tolerance.

I drink beer 90%+ of the time. I can easily drink two Millers or similar with dinner, then walk down the street to the craft beer bar, down two to four more, drive my two miles home, and not feel that buzzed. Once I'm home, I will down another six to ten on weekends. I'm 5'8, 235 or so.

I lived in Iowa years about ten years ago. Once we got late into the football season (November, December), I'd get together with the neighbors, and we'd each buy a case of Bud or something, start watching football at 11 AM CST when the first games started, then drink until the PAC 12 got done at night. It's easy to down a case over all that time and not be sloppy drunk.
LOL. Maybe you just didn't notice that everyone was drunk because you were highly inebriated too and acting just like them.

Hey, I'm not being a prude. I'm no teetotaler myself, but a case of beer in 10-12 hours??? Sure, it can be done, but don't kid yourself into thinking you were still sober or only slightly under the influence.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Everyone here seems to be focusing on the affects of alcohol on the liver. But alcohol affects much more than the liver. It contributes to heart disease, several kinds of cancer, and neurological issues. Just because it's not noticeably affecting someone now, doesn't mean it won't down the line. I also think people underestimate what is considered heavy drinking. The CDC defines it as 15 or more drinks per week for men. That's only about 2 drinks a day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3908707/

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/faqs.htm...e%20per%20week.
The OP was not asking about heavy drinking. The OP was asking about alcoholism. I posted earlier in this thread about my alcoholic father. I also had some exposure to alcoholism while serving on the board of a drug & alcohol agency. Alcoholics can consume unbelievable amounts of alcohol. I'm not talking about 2 drinks a day, I'm referring to two 1.75L bottles of vodka a day. Yes, it can cause all kinds of bodily damage and will kill you sooner or later.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:15 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
A relative died of kidney failure due to alcoholism.
He didn't think he drank too much, just a 12 pack every night.

I was on the jury for a DUI. Defendant said he was drinking about one beer every 15 minutes for 3 hours, but he wasn't drunk.

Then there's this guy upthread who says six shots a night is moderate drinking.

It ain't just a river in Egypt.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:31 PM

728 posts, read 302,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Mostly whiskey here as well. To be specific, bourbon and whiskey. I go through cycles. I feel a scotch kick coming on soon.

Yeah, I have both scotch and bourbon. I used to drink wine with my dinner but bourbon/scotch before and after the meal until one time when I didn't switch because the conversation was going great and I poured another bourbon and had it with my steak dinner. Wow! It paired the medium rare red meat better than wine.

What do you have in your bar? I am not fussy about the quality of my drink but do stay above the price range preferred by winos. I am willing to pay a bit more for 12-15 year old single malts but for the bourbons, I stay away from anything below $25 for a 750 ml bottle and won't buy anything above $40.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:43 PM

728 posts, read 302,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Yes you are, you just don’t know it yet.

An acquaintance- large extra tall man was drinking 4-5 drinks equivalent all his life daily- after work only, never in the mornings. Mostly wine in his later years - before it was more of hard liquor )
1 drink=1.5 oz of hard liquor or 4 oz of wine. It does not look like much, especially with dinner, etc

Took him 40 years or so to all of a sudden develop serious cravings, shaky hands and being unable to function unless he had a drink
He shared that he was “amazed” and “shocked” by the power of alcohol cravings which only abated after a drink.

He nearly lost his family ( the wife noticed the change in him she did not like, attributed it to alcohol, but have not realized that he was dependent until he “fessed up”) and he even briefly thought of suicide- he felt absolutely helpless. Still very functioning at his high level job.
He did have a good support system and was very intelligent.

He tried moderation, did not work: he had to quit completely- and luckily was able to do that- in order to have his life back.
Actually, I think he was not a full blown alcoholic yet- as he was not in denial as alcoholics usually are

The lesson for me was seeing how awed and mesmerized he was when the alcohol finally took over his physical body, his feelings and his thoughts.

It scared the h*** out of me...

People now are acutely aware of a smoking harm. In the past- not so much, you can find the vintage ads where doctors promote smoking
The same marketing machinery is promoting alcohol now.
There lies the danger. Some genetically pre-disposed to alcoholism sooner rather than later; but all are at risk.
Even if a person is not an alcoholic yet- the damage to the body is substantial- heart disease, cancer, strokes, liver, etc.

I get the moral of your story but a man who loves his life dies a dog's death. This is the honor code of the samurai.

If the power of alcohol craving ever try to take control of me, I will commit suicide. There is no way I will allow anything or anyone I love to take over my life.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:56 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have both scotch and bourbon. I used to drink wine with my dinner but bourbon/scotch before and after the meal until one time when I didn't switch because the conversation was going great and I poured another bourbon and had it with my steak dinner. Wow! It paired the medium rare red meat better than wine.

What do you have in your bar? I am not fussy about the quality of my drink but do stay above the price range preferred by winos. I am willing to pay a bit more for 12-15 year old single malts but for the bourbons, I stay away from anything below $25 for a 750 ml bottle and won't buy anything above $40.
So I'm moving, I've been cutting down bottles to avoid dealing with that. I'm a huge fan of Four Roses right now. Their single barrel is fantastic. Woodford is always a mainstay for me as well.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness