Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 05:25 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
A case is 24 bottles. How big is your belly? Seems like your average daily beer consumption is around 10 bottles.
38-40 waist size depend on the cut of pants.

Quote:
What do you mean by being a heavy beer drinker? A six pack a day?
I would put the start at a six pack of at least light beer basically every day. I usually alternate drinking days with sober days. I got into a bunch of DIPA and TIPA last weekend - that was too heavy for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 09:26 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I read about a woman who died of "chronic alcoholism". She was only in her mid-forties. For people that die at that age from alcoholism, how much do they typically drink per day, and for how long?
First of all, alcoholism and death from it is not characterized by how much you drink or for how long. It is based on how alcohol use is making detrimental impacts on your life but you keep drinking despite that.

It might be weekend binges.You don't have be drinking every day or all day. Poisoning can happen any time not necessarily years from now. Strokes and coma are common. No two peoples' bodies handle alcohol the same way. However women do not have the alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) in their stomachs, the enzyme responsible for metabolizing alcohol that men do.

It is very sneaky. It can start out with coming home from work stressed out and going for the wine right away. Having a couple glasses to unwind. It is a progressive disease. .It changes behavioural patterns in the brain until you are totally locked in to the vicious cycle. Without you noticing it you are no longer coming home to a couple of glasses, it becomes 3 and then 4. You get the gist.

Old 03-13-2021, 06:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I know a guy whose mother died in her forties ostensibly from alcoholism. She was a functioning alcoholic - she would only drink at home at night, but she would take Tylenol every morning because she had a headache. It was the combination of the two things - alcohol and Tylenol - that destroyed her liver.

She drank about a bottle or so of wine every night.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:45 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The OP was not asking about heavy drinking. The OP was asking about alcoholism. I posted earlier in this thread about my alcoholic father. I also had some exposure to alcoholism while serving on the board of a drug & alcohol agency. Alcoholics can consume unbelievable amounts of alcohol. I'm not talking about 2 drinks a day, I'm referring to two 1.75L bottles of vodka a day. Yes, it can cause all kinds of bodily damage and will kill you sooner or later.
I get that. I was responding more to the people commenting who say they drink several drinks a day, but aren't dependent or an alcoholic, so it has no negative affect on them. It may not now, but when their cognitive ability declines in their 60s or they are diagnosed with cancer or heart disease 15 years from now, many folks will say it's just age when in reality their drinking was very likely the culprit. I just think people in general are naïve to the effects of alcohol.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:26 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Well my father died at 48 from alcohol and cigarette abuse. He was drunk every weekend and a couple of days during the week. He would drink several beers a day.
Several whole beers? My guess is he might have had a liquor bottle or two stashed in the garage or closet as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Everyone here seems to be focusing on the affects of alcohol on the liver. But alcohol affects much more than the liver. It contributes to heart disease, several kinds of cancer, and neurological issues. Just because it's not noticeably affecting someone now, doesn't mean it won't down the line. I also think people underestimate what is considered heavy drinking. The CDC defines it as 15 or more drinks per week for men. That's only about 2 drinks a day.
If you follow many of the hard drinking musicians from the 70's, or even many movie starts from 1940's, most of their health issues are related to heart disease, not liver problems. Many have their first signs of heart issues in their 30's and it just continues from there until they plop dead in their 50's. Granted, it doesn't help that most of them smoked 20-30+ years. Others have had cancers of the esophagus or stomach.

A lot of this stuff is genetic. All the older men I know in my family drink 4-6 beers every day after work and maybe a little more on the weekends, starting when they were 18 years old until their 60's, 70's, and 80's. I've never known one to have liver problems or other issues due to their drinking. Most of my family is overweight, including several obese individuals, and we've never had anyone with diabetes. Good old Italian genetics I guess.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:58 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Half a pint is about 6 shots a day. I could order a double Jack Daniels on the rocks before dinner, another double with my steak dinner, and one more double as an after dinner drink. That amounts to 6 shots or half pint. Nobody gets sloshed on that amount of drinks and stumble out of the restaurant. It's quite normal and I would not consider that alcoholism.

ANY routine alcohol consumption is considered alcoholism. That's if you were to listen to honest opinion. Not one, convoluted by alcohol producing companies and their on payroll scientists.
You drink regularly - you are alcoholic, no matter what the excuse.

As of how much, OP? So you drink and fear her destiny, so you are trying to figure, where is the safe threshold?
I'll give you precise number.
Nothing. Not a drop. THAT is 100% safe measure.
Also, keep in mind one thing, you will almost never hear about again, due to alcohol propaganda.
DO NOT DRINK MIXED DRINKS. Their toxicity is much higher, than straight quality ethanol. And gods save you from drinking ethanol mixed with anything sweet.
And, btw, I worked for patholgist before. I KNOW what cirrotic liver looks like. Or, kidneys. Or, chain smoker lungs.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:09 AM

728 posts, read 303,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
ANY routine alcohol consumption is considered alcoholism. That's if you were to listen to honest opinion. Not one, convoluted by alcohol producing companies and their on payroll scientists.
You drink regularly - you are alcoholic, no matter what the excuse.

As of how much, OP? So you drink and fear her destiny, so you are trying to figure, where is the safe threshold?
I'll give you precise number.
Nothing. Not a drop. THAT is 100% safe measure.
Also, keep in mind one thing, you will almost never hear about again, due to alcohol propaganda.
DO NOT DRINK MIXED DRINKS. Their toxicity is much higher, than straight quality ethanol. And gods save you from drinking ethanol mixed with anything sweet.
And, btw, I worked for patholgist before. I KNOW what cirrotic liver looks like. Or, kidneys. Or, chain smoker lungs.

Are you a recovered alcoholic and has stopped drinking completely? If you are, then I agree with your take 100%.

Alcohol is not meant for everyone and people must stay away if they cannot deal with it. But just because some people cannot cope with it doesn't mean that everyone must not touch it.

Alcohol is not a poisonous brew to be demonized. It is not only made by man but by Mother Nature also. When sugar in over-ripened fruits that fall to the ground ferments, it turns into alcohol. Monkeys eat the fruits and go tipsy. Other animals, like bear, elephant, deer, etc. like to imbibe also and they go stumbling around after a good "drink". Bees are boozers also when they feast on fermented nectar. I like drinking with friends but it will be a blast if I can crack open a few cans of DIPA and TIPA beer and share it with some real monkeys.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:17 AM

900 posts, read 685,224 times
Quote:
Would you say that I am high risk just having a double whiskey when I get home from work after five, have a double whiskey at dinner, and just one more double whiskey after dinner with a good cigar?
Yes. That is a high daily consumption rate. The daily is a problem, too.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:22 AM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Are you a recovered alcoholic and has stopped drinking completely? If you are, then I agree with your take 100%.

Alcohol is not meant for everyone and people must stay away if they cannot deal with it. But just because some people cannot cope with it doesn't mean that everyone must not touch it.

Alcohol is not a poisonous brew to be demonized. It is not only made by man but by Mother Nature also. When sugar in over-ripened fruits that fall to the ground ferments, it turns into alcohol. Monkeys eat the fruits and go tipsy. Other animals, like bear, elephant, deer, etc. like to imbibe also and they go stumbling around after a good "drink". Bees are boozers also when they feast on fermented nectar. I like drinking with friends but it will be a blast if I can crack open a few cans of DIPA and TIPA beer and share it with some real monkeys.
We don't need this negativity in our lives.

Bye the way, I'm enjoying a Kona Brewing Co. IPA right now.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-13-2021, 10:35 AM

728 posts, read 303,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We don't need this negativity in our lives.

Bye the way, I'm enjoying a Kona Brewing Co. IPA right now.

Good for you. I will check out that Four Roses you mentioned the next time I go to my favorite liquor store.

Is there a forum at City Data for wine and whiskey enthusiasts? I think this is not an appropriate place to talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness