Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2021, 02:30 PM

11,011 posts, read 6,551,742 times

Advertisements

Husband needs this and we both totally cringe at giving ourselves or each other shots.

If anyone needs these shots, how are you handling it? Going to a clinic or biting the bullet and jabbing yourself? We have some B-12 and it's a really BIG needle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 02:40 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,724,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Husband needs this and we both totally cringe at giving ourselves or each other shots.

If anyone needs these shots, how are you handling it? Going to a clinic or biting the bullet and jabbing yourself? We have some B-12 and it's a really BIG needle!
I get mine done at a Hematology clinic when I get an iron infusion every 3 months. It’s large because it’s intramuscular. Personally, not something I’d want to do myself. And I spent many years as an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:46 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,074,366 times
I had a very low B12 level a while ago and had to get injections for a couple of months. I went to the doctor's office each time and the nurse gave it to me. I didn't notice the size of the needle but I don't remember the shots being painful and it was over in seconds.

If I had a relative or neighbor I was close to that had knowledge of giving injections I would have done that but there wasn't anyone I could ask. My level did go up and the doctor said to continue with B12 vitamins. My blood work is showing that it is gradually going down again so I don't think vitamins are enough. My mother had to go every month for years because she had developed pernicious anemia. She went to the doctor's office also.

I know what you mean though. I wasn't able to give myself injections either.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:55 PM

2,516 posts, read 2,739,640 times
When my B-12 level was too low, I got them at my hematologist's office for the first few weeks. Then he switched me to the sub-lingual tablets. That worked well as it's properly assimilated when consumed that way. Regular pills that are swallowed can't be processed correctly by those of us with low or no intrinsic factor, hence the low levels in the first place.

My dad had pernicious anemia, his sister died from untreated pernicious anemia (her choice not to treat - don't ask me why as I never understood her thought process), and I seem to have followed in their footsteps. Dad always got his shots in the doctor's office.

I don't think I'd want to tackle doing the shots. I'm familiar with giving injections to animals but haven't done it to myself. I'll leave it to the pros.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:31 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,263,429 times
I prefer to take a B12 supplement. Be sure to get the methylcobalamin form for better absorption.

https://www.iherb.com/search?sug=b12...balamin&rank=0

One could also use transdermal b12 patches.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:13 PM

11,154 posts, read 15,933,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I believe that both intramuscular (IM) and subcutaneous (SubQ) injections are considered acceptable for B-12, so I'm not sure that you need to use a very long needle if that bothers you. Check with your doctor on your choices. That said, I've self-injected various drugs over the years, both IM and SubQ, with needles ranging in size from 6mm to 1.5" (38mm), and from 31 gauge to 22. I didn't particularly like jabbing myself in a thigh with the 22 gauge, 1.5 inch needle, but I got used to it. Fortunately, my most common injection has been Lovenox, which is injected SubQ in the belly, although I'm currently able to just take Xarelto for my Protein S Deficiency. For my B12 deficiency, I currently give myself weekly 1,000mcg injections in my thigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness