Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 05:17 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
...Here are a few, rather benign, mainly not political:

Zoning in suburban areas to prevent livestock. Why? Is it because I cannot raise a cow? No. It's because it affects my neighbors.
Speed limits. Why? Is it because I cannot drive? No. It's because I cannot drive AND I could kill someone else.
DUI. Why? Guns. Why?

Taxes? Would I (willingly) pay for stuff I don't use? some would...some wouldn't...so - taxes. Affects other people more than yourself.
Lots of local health depts. would quarantine if you had TB. No one ever argued with that before now. It's not for YOUR health - it's for your neighbors'.
Noise laws? For other people.
Loose dogs? Other people.

And so on. dozens or hundreds of things are done for the protection or "betterment of life" for someone THAT IS NOT YOU but you nevertheless are stuck doing. COVID things are just one more.
We are ignoring the proverbial elephant in the room. Even an expert driver, if drunk, is a public danger... and anyone on the street, old or young, slow or fast, tall or short, is potentially in danger. Noxious smell from livestock in a suburban subdivision affects all neighbors. TB can infect anyone, from babies to teens to the elderly, and doesn't care if you're obese or muscular or rail-thin. All of these are common threats to us all.

May I say something crass, but essential? Covid is NOT an equal-opportunity killer. The evidence is overwhelming, that it specifically selects for (1) the elderly, and (2) persons with already severely compromised health. It's the very opposite of the 1918 Spanish Flu, which seems to have had a particular danger for the young and the healthy.

So when we see pictures of crowds of irresponsible, dissolute young-people partying and cavorting on spring break, our ire is immediately directed to the fact, that largely they themselves won't suffer, but instead will infect their elders, who in turn will suffer. Thus the moral dimension, beyond the mere health-dimension. That's it. That's what it's all about.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:35 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They plan to wait for herd immunity, a stance that could temper initial recovery.

FYIIW, MrsM and I are part of the 25-30% who will wait a few months longer
It doesn't sound like you trust your vaccines. The same people who gave you efficacy data, gave you the safety data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
And eventually, Anthony Fauci will go down in history as a criminal that had everyone wrapped around his finger, like Al Capone did. If law enforcement can't nail Fauci for inciting mass panic, maybe they'll nail him for tax evasion or something.
I sure hope so. He's been deserving it since the AIDS debacle that made him a multi-millionaire in 1997. And here we were still stuck with him with covid.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:43 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It doesn't sound like you trust your vaccines. The same people who gave you efficacy data, gave you the safety data.

I (we) do trust my (our) vaccine. Don't put words in my mouth, it's unsanitary!

We are going out more. Shopping, etc.

The vaccines are +/- 90% effective. That's incredible. I'm just not in a hurry after a year.

You worry about yourself and we'll do the same

Old 03-31-2021, 05:46 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Np, he is just staying the course until the amount of virus circulating decreases until it can reach fewer susceptible people.

Quote:
I sure hope so. He's been deserving it since the AIDS debacle that made him a multi-millionaire in 1997. And here we were still stuck with him with covid.
Source?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness