Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:24 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
However, it's been noted empirically that severe reductions in sugar and starch consumption can reverse insulin resistance.
When you are severely reducing sugars and starch you are also reducing total calories. It's a multifaceted effect and most likely it's from the major reduction in calories. I'd like to see any data that shows this claim of yours when calories are equated.

Quote:
Moreover, the increased incidence of insulin resistance in the American population is "strangely" coincident with the dramatic increase of sugar consumption in the Standard American Diet in the 80s.
This is a false claim. Sugar consumption has been decreasing relative to obesity since the 90's. where are you seeing that it's increasing "dramatically"?

https://miro.medium.com/max/2700/1*D...R-HV0KC7A.jpeg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 08:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
You're getting sugar and salt without knowing it.

More than 60 percent of the American diet consists of highly processed foods — foods that have been taken apart and put back together again with various combinations of sugar, salt, oil and additives.

Also, when eating out.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:32 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Has anyone noticed, while you all have been fighting a holy war against sugar, that xxBlue100, the original poster who started this thread, is actually underweight at 5'11" and 130 pounds?

https://www.bannerhealth.com/staying...n/ideal-weight

Old 04-16-2021, 02:58 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Has anyone noticed, while you all have been fighting a holy war against sugar, that xxBlue100, the original poster who started this thread, is actually underweight at 5'11" and 130 pounds?

https://www.bannerhealth.com/staying...n/ideal-weight
My concern isn't about weight. It's about health. Too much sugar is unhealthy. No matter how much or little you weigh. But if you have no diabetes or related illness, there's nothing wrong with SOME sugar.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:40 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Sugar does not cause diabetes. Overindulging in sugar, natural or added, can contribute to the onset of diabetes, but it isn't the direct cause. Added sugar is unhealthy for people who already have diabetes, as is overindulging in foods that are naturally high in sugar.

I thought this was universally known. I'm actually surprised that there are adults who don't know this.
For blood glucose control you need BOTH fully functioning liver and pancreas. The pancreas cant do it alone. Back in 70s some big medical research university autopsied corpses of 5000 diabetics. 95% showed non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, meaning the liver isnt doing its job. The other 5% probably type 1 where pancreas isnt doing its job. Meaning once you clog up the liver with fat, the pancreas can be producing all insulin it was producing before diabetes. and its not enough. It needs the liver converting excess blood glucose to fat. Would seem obvious that combination of high carb diet and lack of constant exercise to burn that visceral fat overwhelmed the liver.

You dont have to be obese to have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Though it helps.... And its not just sugar, its all digestible carbs. The body sees your slice of bread same as sugar. WW bread just few of those carbs are fiber so you can subtract those off. ITS STILL ALL ABOUT THE TOTAL DIGESTIBLE CARBS CONSUMED. Remember my link earlier in this thread about government guideline of max of 300g carbs per day maximum FOR A HEALTHY PERSON? Well add up your carbs and if you want to use up all your daily allotment of carbs on ice cream and candy so be it, if you are healthy and keep to that 300g carb limit, you should do ok if you include the carbs from your sugary treats in the total. But you will still be hungry and since darn near everything in supermarket (and restaurants) has added carbs, good luck with that. those carbs add up FAST! Heck just added sugar alone in SAD diet be more than that.

I can tell you as a T2 that eating an Irish potato (cooked) or few bites of BROWN rice will zoom my blood sugar just like I ate candy. Digestible carbs of all kinds are treated the same. Interestingly a raw potato wont budge my blood sugar (I read that and had to try it), the human body simply cant digest raw potato, at least the starch component. Alas raw potato isnt very tasty....

T2 doesnt reverse in sense you can ever go back to high carb diet, though you can manage it and your liver will heal some on low carb diet though it takes time. I havent used insulin or any diabetic drugs for years now and my fasting blood sugar now regularly in 80s or low 90s. No I am not going to experiment eating more carbs though for all practical purposes I probably could get away with it for a while. I dont have good sense of being "full" when on high carb diet. I do on low carb diet. I seriously dont want to go back to way things were. Too old to go through it all again. Anybody showing signs of pre-diabetes, dont be a fool, seriously deal with it NOW, dont wait until you are officially T2. So much easier to deal with before full blown T2 when your liver is truly incapacitated. But people dont and get fed misguided notion that its all about just SUGAR consumption. Doesnt help that doctors want you to continue eating high carb foods, only in thimbleful amounts. That is advice doomed to fail, its like those stupid calorie counting diets that nobody can stick to beyond couple week.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
For blood glucose control you need BOTH fully functioning liver and pancreas. The pancreas cant do it alone. Back in 70s some big medical research university autopsied corpses of 5000 diabetics. 95% showed non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, meaning the liver isnt doing its job. The other 5% probably type 1 where pancreas isnt doing its job. Meaning once you clog up the liver with fat, the pancreas can be producing all insulin it was producing before diabetes. and its not enough. It needs the liver converting excess blood glucose to fat. Would seem obvious that combination of high carb diet and lack of constant exercise to burn that visceral fat overwhelmed the liver.

You dont have to be obese to have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Though it helps.... And its not just sugar, its all digestible carbs. The body sees your slice of bread same as sugar. WW bread just few of those carbs are fiber so you can subtract those off. ITS STILL ALL ABOUT THE TOTAL DIGESTIBLE CARBS CONSUMED. Remember my link earlier in this thread about government guideline of max of 300g carbs per day maximum FOR A HEALTHY PERSON? Well add up your carbs and if you want to use up all your daily allotment of carbs on ice cream and candy so be it, if you are healthy and keep to that 300g carb limit, you should do ok if you include the carbs from your sugary treats in the total. But you will still be hungry and since darn near everything in supermarket (and restaurants) has added carbs, good luck with that. those carbs add up FAST! Heck just added sugar alone in SAD diet be more than that.

I can tell you as a T2 that eating an Irish potato (cooked) or few bites of BROWN rice will zoom my blood sugar just like I ate candy. Digestible carbs of all kinds are treated the same. Interestingly a raw potato wont budge my blood sugar (I read that and had to try it), the human body simply cant digest raw potato, at least the starch component. Alas raw potato isnt very tasty....

T2 doesnt reverse in sense you can ever go back to high carb diet, though you can manage it and your liver will heal some on low carb diet though it takes time. I havent used insulin or any diabetic drugs for years now and my fasting blood sugar now regularly in 80s or low 90s. No I am not going to experiment eating more carbs though for all practical purposes I probably could get away with it for a while. I dont have good sense of being "full" when on high carb diet. I do on low carb diet. I seriously dont want to go back to way things were. Too old to go through it all again. Anybody showing signs of pre-diabetes, dont be a fool, seriously deal with it NOW, dont wait until you are officially T2. So much easier to deal with before full blown T2 when your liver is truly incapacitated. But people dont and get fed misguided notion that its all about just SUGAR consumption. Doesnt help that doctors want you to continue eating high carb foods, only in thimbleful amounts. That is advice doomed to fail, its like those stupid calorie counting diets that nobody can stick to beyond couple week.
What about saturated fats? Is that not a bigger contributor to NFALD than fructose or carbs?

Old 04-27-2021, 03:23 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
What about saturated fats? Is that not a bigger contributor to NFALD than fructose or carbs?

The liver only processes excess blood glucose into visceral fat, it doesnt process dietary fat into visceral fat. Dietary fat doesnt cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Quote:
Each type of fat is processed differently by your body. Unlike carbs, this nutrient has a negligible effect on insulin and blood sugar levels. Additionally, it suppresses appetite and keeps you full longer. That's why low-carb, high-fat diets and ketogenic diets are so effective for fat loss.

After ingestion, lipids (dietary fats) are broken down into glycerol and smaller chain fatty acids by lipase, a pancreatic enzyme. This process is known as lipolysis. Next, these compounds are converted to triglycerides, which travel to your muscles, liver and fat tissues where they're once again broken down into glycerol and fatty acids. Some are used for energy and other biochemical processes. The excess is stored as fat in adipose tissues.
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/con...body-6862.html

This is a different process than what liver does to convert excess blood glucose into visceral fat (beer belly otherwisse known as spare tire around the middle). But false belief that dietary fat is the root cause of obesity and fatty liver disease just wont die. Look at what happened with the war on dietary fat past few decades. People substituted ever more carbs for removed fat in foods. Guess what? T2 diabetes and obesity is at an all time high, even kids now get T2 and used to be old person disease, it truly is now a world pandemic as high carb foods tend to be cheap and since humans have become mostly urban and dependent on buying food rather than raising it, they buy the cheapest possible. And see western processed foods as a cheap luxury. Even if they bypass the western food, they will still tend toward grains as that is traditional cheap food of urban peasant class. Just that in modern world earning a living doesnt require the constant physical toil and more money means people can afford more cheap high carb food, natural or processed. In past economics dictated one could only buy a minimal amount food of any kind. Your daily bowl of rice and few veggies.

And maybe I am freak of nature, but I havent limited dietary fat in slightest, I went low carb, usually with equivalent of six eggs a day. I have lost great deal of weight without any calorie counting. I eliminated grain and sugars/starches to control blood sugar, the weight loss was simply side effect. And I went from being on insulin to no diabetic drugs at all and normal to near normal fasting blood glucose. If dietary fat caused obesity, I should be 400 pound or something and blood glucose couple hundred, instead I am down around 150 pounds now and as I mentioned fasting blood glucose high 80s, low 90s. A doctor not knowing my history of diabetes would think I was at worst pre-diabetic. And probably not even that.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
The liver only processes excess blood glucose into visceral fat, it doesnt process dietary fat into visceral fat. Dietary fat doesnt cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Dietary fat doesn't cause NAFLD? That's not what the data says.

Saturated Fat increases liver fat 70% more than fructose during overfeeding
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20483648/

Overeating Saturated Fat Promotes Fatty Liver and Ceramides Compared With Polyunsaturated Fat: A Randomized Trial
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31369090/

High Fat Diet increases liver fat compared to low fat diet during energy balance
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21252252/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15741262/

No difference between fructose and glucose on liver fat: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23872500/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19930762/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21396140/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23872500/

Are you able to show any data whatsoever that dietary fat does not cause NAFLD?

Quote:

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/con...body-6862.html

This is a different process than what liver does to convert excess blood glucose into visceral fat (beer belly otherwisse known as spare tire around the middle). But false belief that dietary fat is the root cause of obesity and fatty liver disease just wont die. Look at what happened with the war on dietary fat past few decades. People substituted ever more carbs for removed fat in foods. Guess what? T2 diabetes and obesity is at an all time high, even kids now get T2 and used to be old person disease, it truly is now a world pandemic as high carb foods tend to be cheap and since humans have become mostly urban and dependent on buying food rather than raising it, they buy the cheapest possible. And see western processed foods as a cheap luxury. Even if they bypass the western food, they will still tend toward grains as that is traditional cheap food of urban peasant class. Just that in modern world earning a living doesnt require the constant physical toil and more money means people can afford more cheap high carb food, natural or processed. In past economics dictated one could only buy a minimal amount food of any kind. Your daily bowl of rice and few veggies.

And maybe I am freak of nature, but I havent limited dietary fat in slightest, I went low carb, usually with equivalent of six eggs a day. I have lost great deal of weight without any calorie counting. I eliminated grain and sugars/starches to control blood sugar, the weight loss was simply side effect. And I went from being on insulin to no diabetic drugs at all and normal to near normal fasting blood glucose. If dietary fat caused obesity, I should be 400 pound or something and blood glucose couple hundred, instead I am down around 150 pounds now and as I mentioned fasting blood glucose high 80s, low 90s. A doctor not knowing my history of diabetes would think I was at worst pre-diabetic. And probably not even that.
In this paragraph you are now delving into dietary fats as not causing obesity. Your veering off topic as the original question does saturated fats cause NAFLD more than carbs and fructose, not does it or doesn't cause obesity. Looks like the answer is no.

And I agree dietary fats aren't the cause of obesity. Overconsumption of ultra processed foods are the main cause of obesity.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
It's not healthy to eat a "high" *anything* diet. High carbs = bad for you. High fats = bad for you. High proteins = bad for you.

What's healthy is eating a moderate amount of foods from a variety of sources. SOME fats. SOME carbs. SOME proteins. This isn't about what's healthy for people who already have diabetes.

This thread is about eating "sweets as part of a balanced diet," and the really poor choices of the OP. Eating TOO MANY sweets is bad for you even if you are healthy as a horse. It'll rot your teeth, if you don't get diabetes or heart failure first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness