Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 03:23 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
That study was not ADDED sugar. That is total sugar intake for the day. So you could be eating lots of fruits vegetables and whole foods and have an intake of 100g of sugar for the day and that would not effect your health markers.

AHA's recommendation of no more than 24g of ADDED sugar is from sugary drinks, baked goods, candy, cereals, dairy products and desserts.

Tho my posts were about the AHA recommendation & refined sugar...that the O.P. asked about ofc. I sweeten my overnight oats with a half banana or blueberries almost every day...but the O.P. was talking about processed sugars & sweets. She has soda, cookies, ice cream & iced coffees....added & refined sugars! That was her question & I answered with a totally different view of what “occasional” added sugar means tho AND how it can harm a nutritional & balanced diet when it adds up. I follow the AHA guideline except for the occasional treat...once or twice a week TOTAL.

edit: AND..there aren’t many ppl that ask if they are eating too many fruits...

Last edited by TashaPosh; 04-13-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 03:30 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I think we can agree that too much added sugar is not healthy. As long as you get your glucose taken regularly and you know you are not running high, you should be fine.

Having a couple sodas a week is not going to give you cirrohsis of the liver, unless you have other health issues.

It's good to be aware of what you are eating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-13-2021, 04:02 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Seems to me it's all about moderation. While I've never cared for sodas or sweet tea, life wouldn't be nearly as pleasant without the occasional slice of birthday cake or a fried pie from the Varsity. And what's wrong with splitting a brownie with ice cream for dessert? I also like syrup on my waffles and strawberry jam on an English muffin.

Well into the 8th decade here and no major negative effects so far.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What is "glucose-dominant grain"? I googled it and got nada.
I mean that grains are glucose-dominant. Glucose is the primary nutrient we get from grain products in the US.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Here you go, Over 100g sugar intake per day vs. approx 10g... no difference in weight loss, blood parameters of health, etc.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9094871/

Another one showing the difference between 50 and 25 grams of sugar per day. After eight weeks, there were no significant differences in weight loss or BMI. In fact, the high-sugar group lost about 1-1/2 pounds more, but this effect was statistically insignificant.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11477496/

Here is another one with a big six-month study on more than 300 people, in which subjects demonstrated no differences in weight loss or body composition with a diet higher in sugar versus a diet lower in sugar—when calories, protein, and fiber were the same.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11093293/

And another one where each group lost the same amount of weight and body fat—regardless of how much sugar they consumed

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/135/10/2387/4669838

You really sounding like someone who works for the sugar industry and must defend it at all costs.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I mean that grains are glucose-dominant. Glucose is the primary nutrient we get from grain products in the US.
Why do you specify US?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Why do you specify US?
Because grain products in the US are typically lacking in as much fiber as can be found in some grain products in other countries.

I have no doubt that if I'd not specified "US," somebody on these webz would have countered with, "Uh-uuuugh! Salimani flatbread from Djbuti is 80% fiber!"

Old 04-14-2021, 06:44 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
You really sounding like someone who works for the sugar industry and must defend it at all costs.
Strawman fallacy. Nowhere did I say that sugar is good, nor am I saying you can eat all the sugar you want. Problem is too many people look at single nutrients in a silo and brand them as being bad or good. Avoiding certain foods for no good reason can cause food anxiety or lead to eating disorders. Metabolic risks arise mainly from overconsumption of calories not single nutrients.

Now if you showed me some data saying that ALL sugar is bad no matter what then I would change my mind, but alas that data does not exist.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:45 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:

Our bodies break carbs into glucose tho it makes a super big difference if they are whole grain & sprouted...complex carbs...or simple grains. So..100% whole wheat bread will have less net carbs & more fiber & nutrients than processed grain like white bread.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Because grain products in the US are typically lacking in as much fiber as can be found in some grain products in other countries.

I have no doubt that if I'd not specified "US," somebody on these webz would have countered with, "Uh-uuuugh! Salimani flatbread from Djbuti is 80% fiber!"

Now you are saying grain products. Before you were saying grains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness