Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 06:49 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times

Advertisements

Don't have surgery. I agree with the posters re: checking for dental issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 07:25 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Don't have surgery. I agree with the posters re: checking for dental issues.
I will check for dental issues. I've considered this possibility multiple times, but I don't have any tooth pain. Furthermore I've never had a root canal... something I've seen online that can cause infections/sinus infections. I'm usually pretty up to date on my cleanings but I need to go here soon so I'll see what they find, if anything (I don't suspect much).

Old 03-30-2021, 08:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I will check for dental issues. I've considered this possibility multiple times, but I don't have any tooth pain. Furthermore I've never had a root canal... something I've seen online that can cause infections/sinus infections. I'm usually pretty up to date on my cleanings but I need to go here soon so I'll see what they find, if anything (I don't suspect much).

If it is tooth related, it will probably be one of your top teeth. It's usually not the front teeth for me that cause sinus issues.

Did any of the doctors get you a COVID test? I'd assume that would be the 1st they did since you had a fever but you haven't mentioned it.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:44 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
If it is tooth related, it will probably be one of your top teeth. It's usually not the front teeth for me that cause sinus issues.

Did any of the doctors get you a COVID test? I'd assume that would be the 1st they did since you had a fever but you haven't mentioned it.
I got tested about half way through February and it was negative. I doubt it's covid related at this point. The first doctor who prescribed me antibiotics also prescribed me some meds for covid since he thought it was possible that I could have initially gotten it causing the onset of my sinus infection (he said because I got tested after having symptoms for a week already I probably got a false negative, but we wouldn't know for sure).

Either way though, at this point I think it's either sinus related or something causing my sinuses to have issues. I never got any of the typical covid symptoms (loss of smell, taste, respiratory issues, etc.) except for a low grade fever.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:58 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
The dairy and gluten things are definitely something to look into. I would also schedule an appointment with an allergist to do a skin test. I developed seasonal allergies later in life, and went to an allergist to start doing the allergy shots (which are amazing, BTW). I knew the seasonal trigger, but I was surprised to find out I also reacted pretty highly to dust mites and something else (don't remember). They added those to my allergy shot cocktail.

A sensitivity to something environmental like that can certainly cause lingering issues.

BTW, if dairy and / or gluten is contributing, it won't show up on this allergy test, since you are probably just sensitive to them and not actually allergic.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:56 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
For years I had severe sinus problems, discovered by a knowledgeable ENT that dairy products and other glutten were the problems. Went off dairy and was prescribed Prednisone 10 mg for any flare ups. Since this change I rarely have a flare up.
Also a Netti bottle rinse solution with warm water and mild shampoo soap (5 drops) helps clear out the sinuses.

Like OP, I also had persistent sinus problems (just no headache). Here's what helped me:
- omeprazole OTC 20mg daily.

- NeilMed (or Netti) sinus rinse. I'm using NeilMed, it's not that bad.
- Change of diet (cut down on wine and coffee mostly).

Old 03-30-2021, 03:55 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
So your sinuses are ok, but you have an irritated throat and a lingering fever?

Think mono or cytomegalovirus.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've had the same symptoms for over a decade and since I started my keto diet. It all just went away over a year and have not came back.

The main thing I avoid is sugar, carbs, and also gluten. It has been wonderful that I can breath, think clearly, and no more post nasal drip.

Avoid gluten, fruits and vegetables with lectins. Practically 90% of fruits have lectin which are on the skin except for berries. Beans definitely a no no.

This is not a short term diet, it takes 4-6 months for you to see the effects. Majority of people in American who claim they aren't sensitive to gluten but don't realize they have so many problems related to gluten they just don't realize it. Aching joints, various joint pains, wrist weakness. Allergies, post nasal drive, persistent cough, all can be related to gluten sensitivity.

I continue to consume dairy without any effects.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
OP--first, root canals don't cause sinus infections. You have a root canal because of an infection. It's possible the infection of the gum or teeth moved to the sinuses.

My husband, over his life, has had periods of time when he seemed to have a chronic sinus issues. There have been periods when he's had a low grade fever for months like you've described. The first time it happened he went through all sorts of testing, etc. His ENT attributed it as a rare side effect of his allergies. It doesn't happen every allergy season, but he now knows every few years it will. It has happened in winter months also.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:58 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
For years I had severe sinus problems, discovered by a knowledgeable ENT that dairy products and other glutten were the problems. Went off dairy and was prescribed Prednisone 10 mg for any flare ups. Since this change I rarely have a flare up.
Also a Netti bottle rinse solution with warm water and mild shampoo soap (5 drops) helps clear out the sinuses.
I've had surgery for a deviated septum, giant turbinates, and blocked frontal sinuses plus more surgery for sinus cancer. I was told to never use any soap in my sinuses, just the basic NeilMed saline rinse, supplemented by steroids and antibiotics after the surgeries. Radiation treatments damaged my mucous production, so I rinse 3 or 4 times a day, always with just the salt water. I get all kinds of gunk out of my sinuses with that. I haven't had a sinus infection in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness