Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 07:50 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncicmavsfan View Post
I was trying to describe someone who is fit but sorta average looking — not concerned with their appearance. I know BMI alone isn’t a full indicator of health.......Not really a pleasant way to live, IMO.
I think you're confusing someone "wanting to work out to gain muscle mass" with someone who is "willing to obsess to the point of distraction or detriment", which is what professional bodybuilders have to do in order to be competitive in a highly competitive sport - not much different than an Olympic swimmer doing tens of thousands of laps in the pool, or a competitive shooter (or military sniper) firing tens of thousands of rounds. All necessary if you strive to be "The Best". But if you are following a competitive bodybuilder's routine without competing, you're just not doing it right, LOL, and have to ask yourself "Why?"

People have admired great physical prowess since before the Greeks created marble statues of Hercules and started the Olympics. It gave them an advantage in warfare, symbolized masculinity and virility, and likely helped them gain the attention of the opposite sex, none of which were insignificant things across all of history. Vain? Perhaps, but not much different than building up a larger-than necessary bank account, which has also held great attraction in a historical sense.

At age 63, I myself do a light workout six days a week (as much as the arthritis permits) to keep muscle size and tone, flexibility, help avoid (further) injury, and yes, to look better. I always liked to have extra muscle mass for the same reason some people practice judo or karate, it gives you a leg up in defending yourself (which came in handy more than once), and it was always "fun" to grab one end of whatever it was we were trying to move at the time, and watch two of my smaller buddies struggle with the other end. And, it is just "better" when you're feeling strong, you gain a natural confidence from it, and it's always welcome to get a compliment or two. Maybe I read too many Charles Atlas ads as a kid, where Mac gets sand kicked in his face by that darned bully - nobody wants to be like Mac, and Charles Atlas (probably) made a lot of money because of that. But not having the genetics (or drive) to take it to the next level, never went beyond the "part time hobby" stage.

Bottom line, if you let ANY activity rule your life to the point where it becomes a burden rather than being enjoyable, you've got to stop and ask yourself why you're doing it, whether it's worth it, and whether you're obsessed with it, and yes, obsession can possibly be considered a mental illness. On the other hand, without obsession, you'd have no Tesla, Microsoft, many scientific theories and vaccines, great movies, music, and books, etc.. Someone else's "obsession" has probably enriched my own life many times, and I should be thankful for it vs. criticizing them. So, I'd like to give a belated Thank You to Jenna Jameson for her tireless pursuit of excellence in her chosen field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 10:22 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times
No. I don't think it's a mental think at all. Lifting weights will change body composition in a healthy way, if the diet and adequate rest are incorporated.

Now you might have a valid concern with plastic surgery. Some people have chest implants, butt implants, botox, and calf inserts. Maybe these people have a different agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness