Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 01:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times

Advertisements

Yes.

Why do you think you HAVE to do what your doctor tells you? Does your doctor OWN you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 04:31 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I had a relative that refused to do a test the doctor ordered several times. The doctor had enough and dropped her as a patient. Basically told her if you refuse to do the tests I've ordered, then I can't make informed decisions about your medical treatment, which is something he refused to do.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
A lot of doctors are happy to take people’s home measurements. My mom developed a fast heart rate recently and her cardiologist actually asked her if she had a fitness monitor that tracked the heart rate. People with blood pressure issues are usually asked to take home measurements as well. I’ve been to some appointments where I sign in and am called back almost immediately. Usually in those situations, my heart rate/BP haven’t had a chance to recover.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:49 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
How do you "know" your heart is fine? Maybe you could just provide your Doc with that proof, he'll look at it, and go "Okay". Or not.

I can tell you how you know it isn't.

Don't they say that 90% of people the first indication that they have heart problems is when they see the ground rushing up at their face?

I can't imagine a doctor dropping a patient for refusing a test.

I'm kinda curious what 'unneccesary tests' prior have been ordered if OP is 'tired of them'.

What were the other ones?

Old 03-31-2021, 05:27 PM

230 posts, read 215,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. OP, have you ever actually communicated with your doctor about this, to let him/her know, that you always get nervous and wound up before an annual exam? Does it not make sense to you, in view of the doc's assumption that the high heart rate could indicate a heart condition, that telling the doc it's due to nervousness would be a good idea? It's obviously important info the doc needs to have about you.

My BP tends to be high when I go in for a doctor's consult, after rushing through traffic, walking across a big parking lot, or whatever, so I ask the doc to take my vitals at the end of the session, or mid-session, rather than at the beginning, and that's never been a problem. They want to have accurate info on you, OP, so allowing them believe that the reading they've been getting is truly representative of your heart rate is to your own detriment. It's the patient's responsibility to inform the doctor of any conditions that may have a bearing on their health, or on the doc's assessment.

If speaking up doesn't work, then you're free to find a new doctor, and explain from the outset, that your heart rate soars prior to any exam or consult. Most would be sympathetic and cooperative.

But to answer the question in your thread title, if a test is truly frivolous, you can refuse by leaving at the end of the appointment, and not making the appointment with whichever testing department you've been given an order for. I had a doc insist I should get a pregnancy test as part of a background check for something else. I told him there's no chance I could be pregnant, but he insisted, which was off-putting. So he gave me the order, and I walked out the door, and never went back, nor did I proceed to pregnancy-test department. I sometimes wonder if some doctors are invested in supporting the medical-industrial complex, by ordering unnecessary tests. Or perhaps they're trained to gaslight their patients, and insist that doctor knows best, no matter what the circumstances.

But you haven't tried informing your doctor, why your vitals are coming out as they are, so you need to try that, first.
I haven't told my doctor that I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
How do you "know" your heart is fine? Maybe you could just provide your Doc with that proof, he'll look at it, and go "Okay". Or not.
I know it's fine because when I am at home or any other environment where I am relaxed, it's not racing. Every time my doctor orders me to get these tests done, the results are normal.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can tell you how you know it isn't.

Don't they say that 90% of people the first indication that they have heart problems is when they see the ground rushing up at their face?

I can't imagine a doctor dropping a patient for refusing a test.

I'm kinda curious what 'unneccesary tests' prior have been ordered if OP is 'tired of them'.

What were the other ones?
It's the same ones. An echocardiogram, which is an ultrasound of the heart, and being hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor to monitor my heart rate over a 24 hour period.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:41 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Of course you can.

But suggestion, get a fitbit that will monitor your heart rate as long as you have it on and present that evidence to the doctor that you are fine.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:50 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I haven't told my doctor that I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety.
Don't you think that might help them help you? They aren't magicians. Seems like you are deliberately making it more difficult for yourself. Which raises your anxiety, which makes the problem worse. You could be your own worst enemy. White coat syndrome is very common. Your doctor has definitely dealt with it before.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:57 PM

746 posts, read 1,324,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
Can I deny doing a test my doctor orders
Yes, of course! Good grief. Tell them to buzz off, and leave.
My resting heart rate is in the 40's, BP below 110/70, total cholesterol below 130.
I'm 74, haven't been to a doctor quack for the last 50 years and am healthy for that reason.
The best thing you can do is take good care of yourself, and stay away from the toxic pharma pushers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness