Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 05:55 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,290,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The doctor sees signs of severe distress every time he sees you, and you don't mention that you have a diagnosed anxiety problem. So of course he will need tests to find out what's wrong.

Sort of like if an anorexic goes to the doctor to find out why her bones are so brittle, and doesn't mention that she hasn't more than two tablespoons of oatmeal and 1 raisin per day for the past two months.

If you want APPROPRIATE medical help, you need to be an APPROPRIATE patient. The doctor can work only with what he's given. He has to keep probing until you tell him. You SHOULD have had your other doctor forward your medical records. If you didn't, that's on you.
Yes!

OP - do you realize that wearing this monitor will either confirm or disconfirm that you're "only" nervous at the doctor's office and THAT's why your heart is racing? Do you really care to find out? If you don't care, then don't go to the doctor and instead bury your head in the sand - problem "solved".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 05:57 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,790,407 times
Also...why are you going to the doctor for check-ups; is it required for something?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:34 PM

17,435 posts, read 13,213,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm 23. I have Social Anxiety/Anxiety. Everytime I go to the doctor for a checkup, my heart rate starts racing because I get nervous. When they take my vitals, they say my heart rate is very fast. My doctor orders me to do an Echo cardiogram and to get hooked up to a 24 hour holter monitor to make sure I have no heart problems.

I feel like doing these procedures are unnecessary because I know my heart is fine, I'm just nervous. My heart rate at home is completely normal. I'm getting tired of wasting my time and money on unnecessary procedures.

I plan on going to my doctor soon for a check up. I haven't had one since August 2019. I don't want my doctor to pull this on me again due to my nerves.

Can I deny doing a test my doctor orders and what is an alternative way for someone with White Coat Syndrome to prove that my heart rate at home is fine?

You can do what ever you want. Take the test- don't take the test, it's your life

Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM

230 posts, read 212,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes!

OP - do you realize that wearing this monitor will either confirm or disconfirm that you're "only" nervous at the doctor's office and THAT's why your heart is racing? Do you really care to find out? If you don't care, then don't go to the doctor and instead bury your head in the sand - problem "solved".
I've already wore this monitor and the results were normal. I agree it will be a good idea to tell my doctor I have anxiety, and then maybe we can figure out an alternative on how I can do my vitals.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:18 PM

230 posts, read 212,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Also...why are you going to the doctor for check-ups; is it required for something?
Well generally I think it's good to go for a checkup just to make sure you're healthy.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Well generally I think it's good to go for a checkup just to make sure you're healthy.
Really? I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it! You know you won't get out of there without a test being ordered or a prescription being written... It's what they do. Live your life and quit worrying about your body; when something's wrong with it, it will let you know! At age 23, this should be the furthest thing from your mind.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:29 PM

37,037 posts, read 41,101,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But that's my point: I wouldn't put myself (I don't have family) through the expense and trauma of horrible treatments that almost always fail in the end anyway. So why undergo testing? "Preventative Medicine" isn't really; it's early detection so that you spend even more money and more years of your life in treatments that cause suffering and usually don't prevent death - only prolong it.

Since I wouldn't do anything about it anyway, what I don't know won't hurt me!

Agree or not, the point is: it's my right to refuse testing -- and yours, too.
The point of the colonoscopy is to find polyps that can be removed, usually during the colonsocopy, before they become malignant and require the "trauma of horrible treatments that almost always fail in the end anyway." It is most often truly preventive medicine rather than early detection of an actual cancer. However, if a true cancer is found you could decide not to treat it if you wished, but the success rate is high enough to make that a foolish choice for many.

Old 04-02-2021, 07:39 PM

10,491 posts, read 7,633,055 times
Quote:
I've already wore this monitor and the results were normal. I agree it will be a good idea to tell my doctor I have anxiety, and then maybe we can figure out an alternative on how I can do my vitals.
Buy your own Blood pressure cuff (they're not expensive) so you can take pulse and BP at home. This would be much better for your own peace of mind and much more informative than having a couple readings in doctor's office because you can take as often as you like under any conditions.

Are there other vitals are of interest? If active and normal weight, there's practically nothing to worry about at your age unless not feeling well.

Old 04-02-2021, 11:11 PM

6,294 posts, read 2,857,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The point of the colonoscopy is to find polyps that can be removed, usually during the colonsocopy, before they become malignant and require the "trauma of horrible treatments that almost always fail in the end anyway." It is most often truly preventive medicine rather than early detection of an actual cancer. However, if a true cancer is found you could decide not to treat it if you wished, but the success rate is high enough to make that a foolish choice for many.
It's very impotent to get the colonoscopy. I knew a guy at my last workplace who died from colon cancer in his mid 50s. If he had been scoped a few years earlier they would have caught it and removed the polyp before it became cancerous.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Buy your own Blood pressure cuff (they're not expensive) so you can take pulse and BP at home. This would be much better for your own peace of mind and much more informative than having a couple readings in doctor's office because you can take as often as you like under any conditions.
You can even now buy devices that allow you to take your own EKG and monitor your heart's electrical activity on your smart phone. This strikes me as a very "unhealthy" activity -- especially for a young person with no known heart problems. Are you obsessed with your health; are you a hypochondriac? My advice to you would be to steer clear of doctors and find some other interests; there's no need for even a physical at your age unless you're entering the military or a new job requires it. Don't be so afraid of death that you miss life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness