Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you get the Norovirus vaccine?
Yes, of course 26 46.43%
No, I wouldn't trust it 15 26.79%
Nah, I rarely get gastro anyway 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 04:12 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times

Advertisements

There is a percentage of the population that have a genetic immunity to Norovirus. I think I may be one of them. I can't say for sure, But I've been exposed a bunch of times, and never had it. I used to teach pre-K and twice our school was hit hard with Norovirus. I never got it, even though many of my students and my assistant did.

If I'm not immune, I'd probably get the vaccine. But I would like some kind of test to see if I'm already immune beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 05:23 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
NOPE, I can treat the occasional sickness without getting vaccinated.
FINALLY someone who "gets it".

I tend to have severe reactions to vaccines - HIGH fever, muscle aches, chills, nausea, vomiting.

I find I take less sick days when I take my chances. I was wasting sick days when I was unable to work due to stupid side effects!

There's FMLA if you actually get sick. You don't get any protection from "vaccine side effects".

Last edited by ddm2k; 04-03-2021 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-03-2021, 05:23 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Default ABO blood group-associated susceptibility to norovirus infection: A systematic review and meta-analysis

Interesting read:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32092482/

"Conclusions: The meta-analysis suggested that the blood type A, B and AB might not affect susceptibility to norovirus infection. However, blood type O appeared to be more susceptible to norovirus infection."

Old 04-03-2021, 05:58 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times
Blood type O is the one susceptible to norovirus. If you have one of the other blood types, you might not need a vaccine unless you have health issues. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...67134820300769

I would consider a vaccine, but can't say for sure I would get it. You didn't provide a maybe option. Had noro a couple of times in my 67 years and it was rough (type O). It would be nice not to worry about noro in the food at restaurants.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:38 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
There is a percentage of the population that have a genetic immunity to Norovirus. I think I may be one of them. I can't say for sure, But I've been exposed a bunch of times, and never had it. I used to teach pre-K and twice our school was hit hard with Norovirus. I never got it, even though many of my students and my assistant did.

If I'm not immune, I'd probably get the vaccine. But I would like some kind of test to see if I'm already immune beforehand.
Consider yourself very lucky! One of my daughters is immune. We have 4 kids and it traveled through twice and one girl never got it even when she was puked on by her sister. We called her the survivor of Puke Island.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:54 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Interesting read:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32092482/

"Conclusions: The meta-analysis suggested that the blood type A, B and AB might not affect susceptibility to norovirus infection. However, blood type O appeared to be more susceptible to norovirus infection."
I'm type AB+ and I got the stomach virus back when I was 16 in 2008. I wouldn't wish it upon my enemy. It was like my personal "Titanic" experience.

I haven't got it since then, but would that be because of my blood type? One would really hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post

Lucky buggers. Read this...

"Your blood type – A, B, AB or O – is dictated by genes that determine which kinds of molecules, called oligosaccharides, are found on the surface of your red blood cells. Oligosaccharides are made from different types of sugars linked together in complex ways.

The same oligosaccharides on red blood cells also appear on the surface of cells that line the small intestine. Norovirus and a few other viruses use these oligosaccharides to grab onto and infect the intestinal cells. It’s the specific structure of these oligosaccharides that determines whether a given strain of virus can attach and invade.

The presence of one oligosaccharide, called the H1-antigen, is required for attachment by many norovirus strains. People who do not make H1-antigen in their intestinal cells make up 20% of the European-derived population and are resistant to many strains of norovirus. More sugars can be attached to the H1-antigen to give the A, B or AB blood types. People who can’t make the A and B modifications have the O blood type.

If a group of people is exposed to a strain of norovirus, who gets sick will depend on each person’s blood type. But, if the same group of people is exposed to a different strain of norovirus, different people may be resistant or susceptible. In general, those who do not make the H1-antigen and people with B blood type will tend to be resistant, whereas people with A, AB, or O blood types will tend to get sick, but the pattern will depend on the specific strain of norovirus."

https://theconversation.com/your-blo...g-virus-129125

Let's hope my body doesn't make the H1-antigen. How do we find this out anyway? Through a blood test I'm guessing?

Old 04-03-2021, 09:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,098 times
You bet! I had it a few years ago and it was stomach flu on steroids—just miserable for days. My nightmare would be being stuck on a cruise ship with norovirous spreading rapidly.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:49 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
Absolutely not. And I'm type O I'm but Rh negative. I've been exposed to & had Noro more times than I can count, between working Pediatric floors as an RN & having 11 kids. I stopped having "bad" symptoms in the early 2000's. If I am exposed to it now, it amounts to just heartburn for a day. That's it.

I'm pretty happy about that. I would much prefer heartburn to risking cytokine activation triggering neuroinflammation or demyelination. Heck; I'd rather risk nausea, vomiting & diarrhea than that.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:54 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Let's hope my body doesn't make the H1-antigen. How do we find this out anyway? Through a blood test I'm guessing?
DNA testing by 23AndMe.

Old 04-03-2021, 10:57 PM

37,092 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Absolutely not. And I'm type O I'm but Rh negative. I've been exposed to & had Noro more times than I can count, between working Pediatric floors as an RN & having 11 kids. I stopped having "bad" symptoms in the early 2000's. If I am exposed to it now, it amounts to just heartburn for a day. That's it.

I'm pretty happy about that. I would much prefer heartburn to risking cytokine activation triggering neuroinflammation or demyelination. Heck; I'd rather risk nausea, vomiting & diarrhea than that.
A vaccine that does not even exist yet is going to cause "cytokine activation triggering neuroinflammation or demyelination".

You know that how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness