Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 05:34 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

My PCP just called to let me know that my cologuard was positive. I'm 51. I'm trying to get into for a colonoscopy now. She was actually quite unhelpful.

I have hemorrhoids (off and on) and asked if that could affect it and she said she didn't know. I asked her what the false positive rate was and she didn't know.

I guess I'm not really seeing the value of this test since negative doesn't mean you don't have cancer and positive leads to a colonoscopy any way.

Anyway, I'm not having any symptoms or anything, but I'm scared to death. I'm also annoyed because I went for my physical and assumed I'd be getting a colonoscopy and then she suggested I just try the cologuard.

At this point, my dr is simply saying I probably have a polyp, cancer, or some type of inflammation in my colon. Not helpful at all.

Anyway, has anyone else been thru this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 05:51 PM

5,964 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Many different things which have nothing to do with cancer can cause a positive on the Cologuard test. Don't lose any sleep over the test. Just schedule a colonoscopy exam in the near future. More than likely you'll be fine.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Many different things which have nothing to do with cancer can cause a positive on the Cologuard test. Don't lose any sleep over the test. Just schedule a colonoscopy exam in the near future. More than likely you'll be fine.
Thank you.

Old 04-05-2021, 05:58 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
My PCP just called to let me know that my cologuard was positive. I'm 51. I'm trying to get into for a colonoscopy now. She was actually quite unhelpful.

I have hemorrhoids (off and on) and asked if that could affect it and she said she didn't know. I asked her what the false positive rate was and she didn't know.

I guess I'm not really seeing the value of this test since negative doesn't mean you don't have cancer and positive leads to a colonoscopy any way.

Anyway, I'm not having any symptoms or anything, but I'm scared to death. I'm also annoyed because I went for my physical and assumed I'd be getting a colonoscopy and then she suggested I just try the cologuard.

At this point, my dr is simply saying I probably have a polyp, cancer, or some type of inflammation in my colon. Not helpful at all.

Anyway, has anyone else been thru this?
Positive for what? Blood? DNA markers? You didn't say which. Positive for blood could be due to hemorrhoids or some other source of minor bleeding.

Look at it this way. You have no symptoms or concerns. You didn't mention anything about personal risk factors so we can't comment on that. You wanted a routine screening. The doc who prescribed the Cologuard test was starting with the least invasive (and least expensive) screening test. Isn't it a good thing for healthcare providers to be conservative first and only go further if necessary? So many people scream about MDs attempting to do just the opposite and they scream even louder about their co-pays.

Here's info about Cologuard testing, including positivity rate.

https://www.cologuard.com/?gclid=77b...275-2_6-9-2021

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-05-2021 at 06:07 PM..

Old 04-05-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Positive for what? Blood? DNA markers? You didn't say which. Positive for blood could be due to hemorrhoids or some other source of bleeding.

Look at it this way. You have no symptoms or concerns. You didn't mention anything about personal risk factors so we can't comment on that. You wanted a routine screening. The doc who prescribed the Cologuard test was starting with the least invasive (and least expensive) screening test. Isn't it a good thing for prescribing providers to be conservative first and only go further if necessary? So many people scream about MDs attempting to do just the opposite.

Here's info about Cologuard testing, including positivity rate.

https://www.cologuard.com/?gclid=77b...275-2_6-9-2021

Regarding positive for what...she did not say.

Interesting on the cologuard website it says :

The Cologuard test result should be interpreted with caution. A positive test result does not confirm the presence of cancer. Patients with a positive test result should be referred for diagnostic colonoscopy. A negative test result does not confirm the absence of cancer. Patients with a negative test result should discuss with their doctor when they need to be tested again. False positives and false negative results can occur. In a clinical study, 13% of people without cancer received a positive result (false positive) and 8% of people with cancer received a negative result (false negative).

I guess my issue is that a colonoscopy is definitive. But I see your point about doing least invasive first.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Regarding positive for what...she did not say.

Interesting on the cologuard website it says :

The Cologuard test result should be interpreted with caution. A positive test result does not confirm the presence of cancer. Patients with a positive test result should be referred for diagnostic colonoscopy. A negative test result does not confirm the absence of cancer. Patients with a negative test result should discuss with their doctor when they need to be tested again. False positives and false negative results can occur. In a clinical study, 13% of people without cancer received a positive result (false positive) and 8% of people with cancer received a negative result (false negative).

I guess my issue is that a colonoscopy is definitive. But I see your point about doing least invasive first.
In other words, in exchange for being non-invasive this test doesn't catch everything 100% of the time. A colonoscopy is pretty definitive. Get it done and go from there. Be glad you had the choice. Many of us didn't...colonoscopy from the get go. I've had several, all negative with no complications, just annoyance.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I'm the same age as you (51). I have a personal history of breast cancer, and my dad had colon cancer, and we share a cancer-disposing gene. So the Cologuard test was not recommended for me. I've had one colonoscopy so far and it was not a big deal, and was totally worth it for the peace of mind of knowing it was completely clear.

I can understand why people at low risk choose Cologuard, but I agree with you--people should be told its limitations and be able to make an informed choice about whether they would have a colonoscopy right off the bat. Fingers crossed that your result is a false alarm.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:27 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Wife and I both did the test last year. Mine was negative, hers was positive so she got a colonoscopy that didn't find any problems. We are in early 60's.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:36 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Are they using the cologuard test as a replacement for the Hemoccult test? I take one of those every year. And I do a colonoscopy every five years.

Old 04-05-2021, 06:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 860,779 times
There's a risk benefit ratio that one makes an informed decision on. Colonoscopy does have risk associated with it and not unheard of having a perforated colon although happy quite rare. The preparation can be hard on some people so I don't know if that is the case with you or not but it can be very unpleasant. Most people I know would rather have a Cologuard vs a colonoscopy.

For high risk individuals Cologuard it is not recommended because of the false negative and positive rates. Colonoscopy is recommended for those with a higher risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness