U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 06:29 AM

3,345 posts, read 1,182,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Drink? No. IV.
My drink was for the PET scan. CT scan is an injection.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 06:33 AM

16,645 posts, read 20,130,706 times
I think that the modality for administration of the contrast depends on the area to be scanned. When my digestive tract had to be scanned, I had to drink a liquid. When my liver was scanned, the contrast was administered via IV.

In the OP's case, I am pretty sure that an IV will be involved. And, like others have said, it gave me the urge to pee. The predicted feeling of a "hot flash" did not take place in my case.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:22 AM

16,126 posts, read 21,925,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I need to get it for masses in my uterus area. They think it’s fibroids but could be cancer. I wonder what the drink thing is like. And what is your allergic?
They shoot a dye into your veins, that is the contrast. You don't have to drink any yukky stuff. They will put an IV in your hand/arm........it is not a big deal...The dye travels to your abdomen...You'll feel like you have to pee when it hits your abdomen but it is not painful. It is nothing to be fearful of.

A few years ago I came on CD asking about a CT scan, I was very afraid....I got lots of good input and went thru with it....I was glad i did.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:29 AM

19,968 posts, read 60,242,461 times
In general: The drink is if they are looking for problems in the intestines and digestive system. The injection relates more to heart, arteries, and blood system. I've had both - individually, and at the same time.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:37 AM

8,461 posts, read 4,862,595 times
Some people can feel it more sensitively than others.

I just had the CT in early March. I could feel the warmth travel up my arm to my chest and then down into my abdomen where it felt quite warm. An unusual but not unpleasant sensation. I was actually feeling the inner workings of my blood delivery system. Not everyone gets to do that!

Positivity during health issues is always a plus. Try to relax and flow with the experience. Think about how good it is that they have this available to help you find out what you need.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM

3,474 posts, read 2,299,291 times
Generally, CT protocols call for drinking water before an abdominal (remember, uterus is in the abdomen...) to distend the stomach and make thing easier to visualize.

Since most cancers are highly vascular, the protocols call for images to be made before cancer, and after injecting an IV solution of a solution that's opaque to xrays (for CT) or visualizes differently (for MRI). These are called biphasic CT or MRI. Sometimes the washout of the contrast is also followed, which is called triphasic.

In any case, it's painless.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:01 PM

9,060 posts, read 13,111,683 times
Why are so many people telling the OP that she is wrong and that she won't have to drink anything for her CT Scan? I would think that when she was told that she needed a CT Scan that her doctor would also have told her what that would involve. After all, the OP didn't come here and ask if she would have to drink anything for it; she asked what the "drink thing" is like.

In any event, for those of of you who are oh so sure that CT Scans don't involve drinking anything special, I have years of first-hand experience that contradicts your assertions. I was diagnosed with stage IV non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2017 that was mainly in my heart and chest cavity, and I went through six months of chemo and radiation. I've had multiple CT Scans every year since then, first every 3 months and now every 6 months. For each CT Scan I drink a 450ml bottle of barium sulfate as well as receive an iodine IV contrast through the port in my chest.

As at least one poster above noted, the purpose of drinking the barium is specifically to check the areas of the digestive tract; the iodine contrast is to highlight other organs and structures. My CT scan covers all areas from my neck down below my abdomen, so my prep includes both the oral and the IV contrasts.

The bottom line is that CT Scans may involve drinking an oral contrast, they may involve an IV contrast, or they may involve both.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:21 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,097,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Generally, CT protocols call for drinking water before an abdominal (remember, uterus is in the abdomen...) to distend the stomach and make thing easier to visualize.

Since most cancers are highly vascular, the protocols call for images to be made before cancer, and after injecting an IV solution of a solution that's opaque to xrays (for CT) or visualizes differently (for MRI). These are called biphasic CT or MRI. Sometimes the washout of the contrast is also followed, which is called triphasic.

In any case, it's painless.
you're maybe thinking of an ultrasound in regards to the water

Old 04-07-2021, 03:30 PM

952 posts, read 346,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I had to drink a chalk like drink for a PET scan I had....after they injected me with their radioactive-whatever substance. Then I had to wait an hour before the scan. The drink was milky and thick and not very appetizing and I had to have two bottles of it. yuck oh.

For a regular CT scan, the contrast is injected, and yes, you do feel like you are going to pee I also got a big hot 'whoosh' but neither lasted.
At one of the CTScans, I had radioactive substance injected and had to wait an hour before the scan. But I can't recall now if I had to drink anything. They gave me a card to carry in my wallet ~ "There is a possibility that small amounts of radiation from the procedure may trigger detectors at airports or border crossings. The amount of radiation poses no danger to the public and is allowed according to CNSC regulations."
It was during the March / April "circuit breaker" lockdown.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:54 PM

6,056 posts, read 2,863,675 times
I've had several.
15 years ago, there was an unpleasant drink as well as IV.
Then the drink got a better flavor. Now it's pretty flavorless.
Sometimes I don't need the drink, just have the IV. For my next one, I have to pick up the drink in advance.

BTW, I assume the drink is only for abdominal CTs, and there may be more than one kind of drink.

You might call the facility where you're having the scan and ask them what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness