Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 02:15 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a type of herpes that affects the eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 12:48 PM

508 posts, read 459,032 times
Thank you for all the responses and suggestions. SO very helpful and appreciated.

She has since contacted her doctor and asked for a referral to a neuro ophthomolist. It's funny that I said to her weeks ago that wouldn't it be nice if there was a doctor that did both neurology and eyes, and apparently there is!

I brought up herpes but then would herpes cause daily problems or would it just be during an outbreak? I am not overly familiar with it but it definitely crossed my mind.

I bought her some Hydrasense eye drops (only available in Canada) to see if that does anything. She uses Hydrasense saline spray for a smell disorder and it's been a life saver, so figured might as well try their eye drops in case it too is a life saver.

I'll report back as we know more.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:48 AM

508 posts, read 459,032 times
UPDATE:

I did some research online since none of the doctors seemed all that interested in helping my daughter or finding out what's really wrong. I found a couple possible scenarios, one being optic neuritis. Everywhere said it can be detected through MRI, which is something none of the doctors suggested.

Her most recent neurologist appt she brought this up and the doctor said it wasn't needed so she broke down in frustration and said, "Why won't anyone listen to me". He then agreed to the MRI.

She had an MRI a couple of weeks ago and what did they find...unruptured aneurysms (two). They scheduled her for an MRC which was a few days ago. Now they find three unruptured aneurysms, all considered small and in the front of the brain on the right side. Her eye problems are in her left eye. The neurologist doesn't believe this has anything to do with her eye issues. She has since been referred to a neurosurgeon and her appt is next month so we won't know anything until then.

Let this be a lesson to all of us, especially women. You have to fight for your health. If you believe something is wrong and your doctor won't listen to you, find another doctor.

ADDED: My daughter is mid-30s, healthy, no family history of aneurysms, non-smoker, no history of high blood pressure, so doesn't fit any of the criteria. Could this still be related to covid? What about the vaccines (she's had two plus booster).

Old 12-30-2021, 02:23 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
ADDED: My daughter is mid-30s, healthy, no family history of aneurysms, non-smoker, no history of high blood pressure, so doesn't fit any of the criteria. Could this still be related to covid? What about the vaccines (she's had two plus booster).
Problem with blood vessels are a common vax side effect. She should definitely NOT get any boosters.

Old 12-30-2021, 02:33 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
This is who she has seen, what she's tried, or what they recommend trying:

Optometrist - Antibiotics, hot compress 2x daily, OTC eye drops, artificial tears, Restasis prescription, lid scrubs

Dermatologist - Extended antibiotics in case it was ocular rosacea
Ophthalmologist - Hot compress 1x daily, suggested punctal plugs
Family doctor - Blood work to rule out auto immune, CT scan to check sinuses
Neurologist - Suggested trying Gabapentin prescription for pain behind eye
Self - Cliradex (tea tree wipes), eye supplements for dry eyes

None of the above made a bit of difference. Is there something else she can try that may help?
Colloidal silver. Get one with a dropper.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,571 times
Just go see a doctor. They'll check your eyes. Recommend eye drops with it. And most times you'll be using this for medicine and it will go away. Burning and itching and redness in the eyes. If there are no other physical ailments to you.

Old 01-04-2022, 07:40 PM

19,622 posts, read 12,218,208 times
It seems like she has been thoroughly examined. They obviously can't find anything to cause the symptoms except for evidence of dry eye. No one can know if her issue is related to Covid, it could have been any kind of infection or injury that caused a chronic problem- eyes can be like that. A person can get a minor scratch on their cornea and end up with a lifetime problem even if the cornea heals well.

I noticed steroid drops were not on that list, that is usually the first thing a doctor will prescribe for an eye injury or inflammation.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:59 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
OP was your daughter ever even tested for COVID? You keep blaming it but you don’t even know if she’s ever had it.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:04 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
This is who she has seen, what she's tried, or what they recommend trying:

Optometrist - Antibiotics, hot compress 2x daily, OTC eye drops, artificial tears, Restasis prescription, lid scrubs

Dermatologist - Extended antibiotics in case it was ocular rosacea
Ophthalmologist - Hot compress 1x daily, suggested punctal plugs
Family doctor - Blood work to rule out auto immune, CT scan to check sinuses
Neurologist - Suggested trying Gabapentin prescription for pain behind eye
Self - Cliradex (tea tree wipes), eye supplements for dry eyes

None of the above made a bit of difference. Is there something else she can try that may help?

See an opthomologist at a teaching hospital. They get the stranger cases.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:53 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
OP was your daughter ever even tested for COVID? You keep blaming it but you don’t even know if she’s ever had it.
Good point.

And this is why a few people I know, who are especially careful about Covid, wear not only masks, but big glasses when they go out in public. This is easy in the summer, when people wear sunglasses. In winter you tend to stand out wearing sunglasses, unless you live where there's bright sun (the Southwest) or there's snow glare. In any case, I took to wearing my sunglasses indoors (in stores, clinics, offices) following their example. This story tells me it's not a farfetched strategy.

I hope your daughter's condition resolves, OP. Good for her for speaking up for herself! And that's great advice; if your doctor doesn't believe you when you bring a chronic concern to him, find another doctor! And another! Keep looking until you find one that takes your concerns seriously.

It's too bad our medical system for some reason tends to dismiss people's concerns, especially young people's. Women especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness