Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why this is a big deal. Either you have insurance or you don't. If you don't, then don't worry. If you do, just bring your card in case they want to see it. Either way you will not have to pay out of pocket.

We brought ours just in case however they did not ask to see them. They did ask for name and DOB and were probably able to locate our info in their system (it was at a medical facility). What I did find strange though is that the nurse that was going to administer the vaccine asked about medical conditions and I read that they were not able to ask for that information. Plus they have our records in their system so if they really cared and wanted to ensure that we were really in one of the "Groups" that were opened up for vaccination they could have just looked at our charts. So that kind of irked me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I keep my insurance card with me. They asked for it and I gave it to them, so I have no idea what would have happened if I hadn't given it to them. Sorry.

They also asked for my ID, which I also always keep with me and I provided that as well.

This was in NE Texas.

I pay a pretty steep monthly payment for insurance. I pay a steep deductible. If my insurance company is billed something or other for this, I don't care one way or the other. They also cover some other basic health care costs and screenings as well at no cost to me out of pocket (that is, in addition to the premiums).

Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If vaccines are administered so loosely and there is no centralized records then what would prevent someone from getting vaccinated multiple times? Maybe they want the Moderna, Pfizer, AND JJ vaccines. Or maybe they want to be double vaccinated. It seems to be a pretty common misconception in a lot of things for people to figure "if x is good then 2x must be better".
Well, with Moderna and Pfizer, you get more of a reaction after the second dose. I have no desire to try a third or fourth dose just to see if it is an even more unpleasant reaction.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I know lots of people subscribe to that "if some is good, more is better" philosophy, and some people are crazy, but multiple covid vaccines seems a bit over the top IMO. Guess you never know, but I think it's more likely that people would register at multiple sites, or times for vaccines, then not show up or cancel the other appointments after they get a vaccine, leaving a bunch of "no shows" at the other locations. In fact, I heard an announcement on the radio ( think it was internet radio from a station in the Chicago area) addressing that very problem. They asked that people either not schedule multiple appointments, or to be sure and cancel the appointments beforehand that they would not be using. They said no shows and the likelihood of wasting the vaccines was becoming a problem there.

I didn't say the philosophy was wise just common. I know a lot of people that want a specific vaccine. They hear the Moderna gives you 95% protection and JJ gives you 80% and want the Moderna. Fauci has advised not to worry about which one you get, take the first one available, but a lot of people want one more than the other. I could see someone who prefers Moderna taking JJ because it's available to them now then following up later to get Moderna. And if one dose of Moderna gets you to 80% and the second dose gets you to 95%, is it unreasonable to think a third dose gets you to 99%?

Old 04-10-2021, 08:28 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
How in the world will they be able to create and enforce Vaccine Passports if so many people didn't have to show ID?

And how do you go back and verify?

Old 04-10-2021, 08:32 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, but if you HAVE insurance, why should they not pay? Let's get the right parties to foot the bill, shall we?
^^^^^
This.

Got my first one yesterday at a pharmacy (Walgreen’s, Minnesota).

The tech asked birthdate and address questions when checking me in before checking my DL and taking the paperwork and insurance card. When I actually got the shot, the pharmacist (who was giving shots), he checked my DL again and my insurance card was returned before he administered it.

Pfizer, btw, did not feel the needle and no side effects 16 hours later.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:38 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I'm not sure why this is a big deal. Either you have insurance or you don't. If you don't, then don't worry. If you do, just bring your card in case they want to see it. Either way you will not have to pay out of pocket.

We brought ours just in case however they did not ask to see them. They did ask for name and DOB and were probably able to locate our info in their system (it was at a medical facility). What I did find strange though is that the nurse that was going to administer the vaccine asked about medical conditions and I read that they were not able to ask for that information. Plus they have our records in their system so if they really cared and wanted to ensure that we were really in one of the "Groups" that were opened up for vaccination they could have just looked at our charts. So that kind of irked me!
I don't think it's a big deal, especially as no one will be charged out of pocket for vaccines. IMO it's just a matter of curiosity.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:43 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post

Apparently, the OP and the people he's making the appointment for do have insurance, the OP does not want to provide it because the government said it would be free, you know, like that Turbo Tax* commercial that says free! Free, free! Free! Free, free, free!

*Thanks to my almost 8 year old grandson for googling to get Turbo Tax while I cooked for him because I couldn't remember what commercial it was for lol

Quote:
I honestly don't know if people's insurances will be billed for the vaccine or if perhaps it might be other expenses ( such as the administrative costs or other peripheral costs) of administering the vaccine that the government may not cover? I recall that it was Trump who stated the vaccines would be offered free of charge to all, but who knows about the other costs, say for private entities that are administering the vaccine? I got my covid J&J vaccine from a doctor's practice management group my PCP belongs to, and it looked as though their expenses involving lots of personnel overtime, use of their facilities and supplies might add up to considerable cost. And I thought of the CVS and Walgreen's personnel out there vaccinating people in nursing homes, ALF's, that's a lot of manpower, travel expenses. I don't know if the government plans on reimbursing these folks for the expenses in administering vaccines?

Just speculating here. I had to fill out my insurance information ( Medicare) when I registered for my vaccine, but they didn't ask for it ( no need, they already had it) when I got there. They only used my FL driver's license to verify I was a Florida resident, they didn't look at it closely to verify I was who I said I was.

I guess we will see down the road if I get an explanation of benefits from either/and my secondary insurance showing they've paid out for covid vaccines, and/or covid related costs. Then we will know.

I've read a lot about the vaccines at CD. I'm subscribed to most if not all of them in this section, retirement and NJ. I've read posts from people that got it in the early days that their insurance (according to their EOB) did get billed for administering the vaccine because they mentioned it in the thread, questioning if they were allowed to do that because the government said it's supposed to be free. The poster did not get charged an out of pocket copay, it was only their insurance that was charged the fee(s). I don't recall exactly what fee(s) there were, if it was one or multiple but yes, they are charging for something, probably paying their employees to do it. I am curious now whether anyone that went to a state run facility where people volunteered have the same charges. It sounds like people have to give their insurance info when making their appointment no matter which site they use.

I personally don't have issues with them asking to be paid by insurance. The taxpayer will be paying for this COVID mess for many years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I didn't say the philosophy was wise just common. I know a lot of people that want a specific vaccine. They hear the Moderna gives you 95% protection and JJ gives you 80% and want the Moderna. Fauci has advised not to worry about which one you get, take the first one available, but a lot of people want one more than the other. I could see someone who prefers Moderna taking JJ because it's available to them now then following up later to get Moderna. And if one dose of Moderna gets you to 80% and the second dose gets you to 95%, is it unreasonable to think a third dose gets you to 99%?

I guess you haven't seen the few posts from people that got Moderna or Pfizer who had a bad reaction to the 1st vaccine that are wanting to blow off their 2nd dose of it and jump to do the J&J one and done vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
How in the world will they be able to create and enforce Vaccine Passports if so many people didn't have to show ID?

Great questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
^^^^^
This.

Got my first one yesterday at a pharmacy (Walgreen’s, Minnesota).

The tech asked birthdate and address questions when checking me in before checking my DL and taking the paperwork and insurance card. When I actually got the shot, the pharmacist (who was giving shots), he checked my DL again and my insurance card was returned before he administered it.

Pfizer, btw, did not feel the needle and no side effects 16 hours later.

Thanks for confirming they did take insurance like I've read that they do.

Quote:
I don't think it's a big deal, especially as no one will be charged out of pocket for vaccines. IMO it's just a matter of curiosity.

Not for the OP. According to what he's posted so far, he plans to get it free including not giving his insurance because it's free.

I've given out too much rep in 24 hours so can't rep anyone my reply like I usually do.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:45 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

Hopefully, there will be no need for a Vaccine Passport. Looks as though even the Biden administration may be walking that back ( at least as far as the idea of the feds enforcing it) due to the flack they have been getting over mentioning such a thing

Vaccine recipients get a card showing the vaccine, type and lot numbers, and the dates of administration.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:48 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've heard of people bringing their insurance info when they get the covid vaccine. I know it's not required. What's the idea there?

I need to get myself and relatives vaccinated and I was hoping we would just bring our IDs.
Had my 1st Moderna shot on Thursday. They never asked for my insurance card, just my license for ID purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness