Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 07:17 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Who said anything was "magic"?
Do I really have to translate my statement for you? I wrote: ...COVID-19 isn't a "magic" virus that doesn't behave like any other virus... The "magic" would be in it not behaving like any other virus. You have no evidence that this is the case, and neither does anyone else.

Quote:
It's not going to behave like other viruses because it's origin was not like other viruses.
How so? Whether it came from the wet market in Wuhan or the nearby labs, it arose like other viruses -- through natural selection. It's clearly genetically related to other SARS-2 viruses in bats (as I recall, the Wuhan labs are growing hundreds of bat viruses) and was *not* genetically engineered based on DNA analysis, or brought to earth by aliens. We've known that for a year:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...2106?query=TOC
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ed-study-shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 07:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
The variants' spike protein is mutating to evade defenses.

South African variant

The problem with the bioweapon and lab leak conspiracy theories is that there were there wouldn't be sufficient mutations to account for all the differences in the known coronavirus samples and SARS-COVID-19. The virus antibody was already in 20% of the US blood supply by December 2019. They might have mistaken an early variant of Covid for Flu during the 2018-19 Flu season since the vaccine was only 29% effective.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Apples to oranges.

Unless you got some orange apples.. It's certainly not that different.

Quote:
Pretty soon the variants will become more virulent & deadly & the vaccinated will need more & more boosters, until one day; the virus will trump the vaccines for good

There's what you said. And that is PRECISELY what happens with antibiotics.

https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/about.html

Old 04-13-2021, 09:17 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The virus antibody was already in 20% of the US blood supply by December 2019. They might have mistaken an early variant of Covid for Flu during the 2018-19 Flu season since the vaccine was only 29% effective.
That percentage sounded high to me.

Here is the actual study:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance...aa1785/6012472

"To determine if SARS-CoV-2–reactive antibodies were present in sera prior to the first identified case in the United States on 19 January 2020, residual archived samples from 7389 routine blood donations collected by the American Red Cross from 13 December 2019 to 17 January 2020 from donors resident in 9 states (California, Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wisconsin) were tested at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for anti–SARS-CoV-2 antibodies."

"Of the 7389 samples, 106 were reactive by pan-Ig. Of these 106 specimens, 90 were available for further testing. Eighty-four of 90 had neutralizing activity, 1 had S1 binding activity, and 1 had receptor-binding domain/ACE2 blocking activity >50%, suggesting the presence of anti–SARS-CoV-2–reactive antibodies."

Therefore, 90 of 7389 samples = 1.2%.

They were unable to correlate travel history, unfortunately. The article discusses some other limitations, too.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The variants' spike protein is mutating to evade defenses.

South African variant

The problem with the bioweapon and lab leak conspiracy theories is that there were there wouldn't be sufficient mutations to account for all the differences in the known coronavirus samples and SARS-COVID-19. The virus antibody was already in 20% of the US blood supply by December 2019. They might have mistaken an early variant of Covid for Flu during the 2018-19 Flu season since the vaccine was only 29% effective.
You insist on dismissing the lab leak origin, but the irony is that the things you post actually lend more credence to it.
If SARS-CoV2 were mutating like the flu, then your point would be valid. It isn't, and your point isn't

Old 04-14-2021, 07:56 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Whoooah! Wait one minute! It wasn't two weeks ago I saw five or three "experts" on the telly splainin that once you're inoculated, you can't get sick and you can't die.
From the original virus. This is a very fluid situation. Hey look, I don't know who to believe half the time on all of this. Too much conflicting information.

All I know is I got the vaccine, I had covid in December. I go out and live my life now. Only wear face covering when its required somewhere. And that is few and far between. But I am not going to mingle inside with a large crowd. You have to be a little bit smart just in case the worst case scenario is the right one.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:59 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
You insist on dismissing the lab leak origin, but the irony is that the things you post actually lend more credence to it.
If SARS-CoV2 were mutating like the flu, then your point would be valid. It isn't, and your point isn't

The longer this goes on and does not just burn out like was predicted early on by many so called experts the more I wonder about its origins. You have a lab, one of the few in the world working with bat viruses in its facility. Then suddenly a new pandemic happens right in the neighborhood of the lab. Not rocket science here...

Old 04-14-2021, 08:53 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The longer this goes on and does not just burn out like was predicted early on by many so called experts the more I wonder about its origins. You have a lab, one of the few in the world working with bat viruses in its facility. Then suddenly a new pandemic happens right in the neighborhood of the lab. Not rocket science here...

SARS emerged in China from bats in China. That's why they are studying bat coronaviruses in the Wuhan lab. You are confusing effect with cause.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:32 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
UNC-CH engineered the horseshoe bat coronavirus genes to facilitate direct transmission to humans

UNC announcement

The problem is that it's unclear that it would make people sick. There are a lot of other genetic differences between the closest match at both labs to SARS-COVID-19. There were leaks at UNC but no community spread.

UNC Chapel Lab accidents with coronaviruses since 2015

Even then, it would take decades for the virus leaked from UNC to mutate into a match for SARS-COVID-19. It's very unlikely that they would undertake the many genetic modifications to get a match unless they went into the future to find out how to reverse engineer a virus unknown to them.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
In the immortal words of President Abraham Lincoln:
Ha! This reminds me of what my daughter said when she was about 8. She said, "I wonder what movie President Lincoln was watching when he was shot in a theater."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness