Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times

Advertisements

I have had terrible weather-triggered sinus headaches since I was a child. Sometimes they have lasted for days and have made me actually puke on occasion. They are not migraines - no doctor has even considered them to be such. They have all chalked it up mainly to a malformation in my sinuses, and in my 30s, surgery helped with some of it.

I moved to Colorado at 34 and tried marijuana for the first time in my late 30s. Turns out I don’t like being high, and it mostly just makes me feel sleepy. But I started keeping a stash of edible gummies for my headaches because while they helped minimally with the pain, they calmed my stress over the pain enough that I could sleep and missed fewer days of work. So I would only take them as needed.

Well, the pandemic happened, and my sleep schedule went straight to hell. I started having an edible almost every night to help me drift off. And guess what? In the past year, I have not had a single headache that necessitated me taking a sick day or caused me anything more than mild discomfort.

We are about to see a massive weather change in Colorado, with the temperature dropping, possible snow and days of rain and clouds. I took Advil for a headache today for the first time in months, and I’ve been able to work a busy and intense workday full of meetings and deadlines without needing to lay down or getting distracted by pain. I haven’t taken a sick day in over a year. I haven’t cried because I was in such awful pain or worried I was going to vomit in more than a year.

I make sure to go a few nights without having an edible every couple of weeks, just to make sure I’m not going to have withdrawal symptoms (they’re mild with marijuana though). And I’m going to discuss it with my doctor on my next visit. But edibles seem to have addressed a lifelong problem that has previously caused me to basically drop out of my life for sometimes days at a time.

I’m just sharing because this was very unexpected, and it’s done wonders for my quality of life and my ability to make plans. It’s even helped for work - I’m less nervous around deadlines because I’m not worried I’ll have to muscle through a terrible headache to meet them. I’m also really relieved marijuana will likely be decriminalized soon, because it means I can travel without worrying about my headaches taking me out. There’s nothing like paying a bunch for a vacation and having to spend a chunk of it in a darkened room.

I’ve never pressed my doctors for pain medicines because I was worried about getting labeled as “drug seeking,” and to be honest, it freaked me out enough when my one doctor prescribed a combo drug with Codeine in it for the pain. Vicodin was another drug that seemed to help the problem but that I didn’t want to get hooked on. So marijuana edibles seem to be the solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Its still a drug though, even if you don't have to ask a doctor for it. I use cannabis to help with sleep, but when i use it regularly over a period of time it causes unwanted effects, like stupidity. Its times like that when I have to remind myself its still a drug.

Old 04-13-2021, 05:52 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
..it's a plant...grows right out of Gods green earth..

Old 04-13-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..it's a plant...grows right out of Gods green earth..

So does poison ivy.

Old 04-14-2021, 10:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Yes...edibles are GREAT for a good nights sleep.
Happy to hear they helped with the headaches.
Cannabis is a wonderful plant with an amazing number of medicinal properties.

The edibles are used here in a facility for brain damaged people.
Helps them to be calm, they sleep better...it increases their appetites and stops them from drooling so much.
A bonus is that cannabis has amazing anti inflammatory properties among others (all good).
It has fantastic neuroprotective properties as well.

Check it out for yourself...https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

Old 04-14-2021, 11:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I use cannabis to help with sleep, but when i use it regularly over a period of time it causes unwanted effects, like stupidity.
How unfortunate for you.
You must be the ODD person it effects like that.
Sorry to read it.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yes...edibles are GREAT for a good nights sleep.
Happy to hear they helped with the headaches.
Cannabis is a wonderful plant with an amazing number of medicinal properties.

The edibles are used here in a facility for brain damaged people.
Helps them to be calm, they sleep better...it increases their appetites and stops them from drooling so much.
A bonus is that cannabis has amazing anti inflammatory properties among others (all good).
It has fantastic neuroprotective properties as well.

Check it out for yourself...https://patents.google.com/patent/US6630507B1/en

Ehhh, too many superlatives. "wonderful" "Amazing" "amazing" (again) "fantastic" and not one mention of any of the downsides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
How unfortunate for you.
You must be the ODD person it effects like that.
Sorry to read it.
Cannabis makes a lot of people stupid, and it has other adverse effects if they use too much.This is not news. Some are just in denial of the obvious.

Its a plant. It has some useful properties. It has some side effects too. Its not a god, its just a plant and a drug whose use has pros and cons.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
So does poison ivy.
...i know it does...illogical analogy... the fact that poison ivy grows from Gods green earth does not make it a drug, as you asserted cannabis is...just sayin'

Old 04-15-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...i know it does...illogical analogy... the fact that poison ivy grows from Gods green earth does not make it a drug, as you asserted cannabis is...just sayin'

That isn't the point I was making. You seemingly believe that coming from God's green earth makes it a good thing. I was pointing out that poisonous things also come from the same earth.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:46 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,683,407 times
Very happy it has reduced your headaches. It also works great for me with allergy headaches in the spring when the juniper bushes/trees release their pollen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness