Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 12:12 PM

4,372 posts, read 4,795,036 times

Advertisements

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22...d-heavy-survey

"There’s also a potential relationship between the nanoparticles used in the COVID-19 vaccines and changes in bleeding patterns. In some people, the nanoparticles end up creating a temporary immune reaction that kills off platelets, a type of blood cell involved in clotting, Clancy says. They regenerate quickly, but if someone has a bleeding event like a period just after they get a shot, it could make it heavier. She’ll be collaborating with Anirban Sen Gupta, a platelet researcher at Case Western Reserve University, to try to understand that potential mechanism."

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=COVID+VACCINE+AND+MENSTRATION

Last edited by elnina; 04-21-2021 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 02:52 PM

1,147 posts, read 840,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22...d-heavy-survey

"There’s also a potential relationship between the nanoparticles used in the COVID-19 vaccines and changes in bleeding patterns. In some people, the nanoparticles end up creating a temporary immune reaction that kills off platelets, a type of blood cell involved in clotting, Clancy says. They regenerate quickly, but if someone has a bleeding event like a period just after they get a shot, it could make it heavier. She’ll be collaborating with Anirban Sen Gupta, a platelet researcher at Case Western Reserve University, to try to understand that potential mechanism."

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=COVID+VACCINE+AND+MENSTRATION
That's all conjecture and based on anecdotal stories. That needs to be proven first before on takes the next step to explain the mechanism. You have conjecture on top of conjecture. That isn't the way science works. One needs to prove an association exists to begin with and then after that one can try to explain mechanisms. Once that theory is proposed then interventions can be tried to see if the proposed mechanism is active or not.

We aren't talking about philosophy here but the hard sciences. It's nice to know what you think but it means nothing if you can't prove it. There is a difference between science and hysteria. There are psychological events like stress that impacts menses and other factors that one has to exclude when it comes to interfering with menses.

The mechanisms so far proposed in causing a death in a Dr from Florida was through immune thrombocytopenia. That death is considered coincidental and not causative so far. Other clotting events have been proposed TT thrombotic thrombocytopenia which also involves antibodies but different antibodies thus different bleeding vs clotting events. Those clotting brain events are still under study and because of the nature of the antibody implicated a warning not use heparin was issued.

These people might be implying the peripheral consumption of platelets vis nanoparticle activation of platelets might be causing menses problems. They would have to prove a significant drop in platelet count to manifest as excess bleeding.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:00 PM

4,372 posts, read 4,795,036 times
That's why it's called research.

If anybody (well, actually only women) want to participate, the link is here:

https://redcap.healthinstitute.illin...p?s=LL8TKKC8DP

Medical Lab Guy said: "There is a difference between science and hysteria."

Women reporting anecdotal problems with their menses after receiving a vaccine doesn't make them hysterical.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:41 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,559,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Other clotting events have been proposed TT thrombotic thrombocytopenia which also involves antibodies but different antibodies thus different bleeding vs clotting events. Those clotting brain events are still under study and because of the nature of the antibody implicated a warning not use heparin was issued.

These people might be implying the peripheral consumption of platelets vis nanoparticle activation of platelets might be causing menses problems. They would have to prove a significant drop in platelet count to manifest as excess bleeding.
Explain the bolded.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Explain the bolded.
The antibody implicated in ITP is one directed towards the glycoprotein IIb/IIIa receptor on the platelets. This is not an activating platelet antibody. Coated platelets are removed by the liver resulting in thrombocytopenia.

The study of cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) and the warning not to use heparin comes from the apparent immune activation of the heparin-PF4 receptor. This receptor is an activating antibody which causes the platelets to clump and cause thrombosis in the presence of heparin. The heparin being a hapten. The problem is these patients are not on heparin and so it is in the process of being studied as to why they developed such an antibody and it's mechanism of action. One thought is that it is the virus itself that can cause this and the other is that it is vaccine induced. In either case heparin should be avoided until it can be proven that the person does not have a heparin induced thrombocytopenia (HIT). Then and only then can one use heparin. Otherwise another anti-thrombotic agent should be used.

https://emergency.cdc.gov/han/2021/han00442.asp

I should add that thrombosis associated with COVID infections themselves are associated with autoantibodies inclusive of anti-phospholipid and others. Again those are different antibodies being implicated in vaccines.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/12/570/eabd3876

Last edited by Medical Lab Guy; 04-16-2021 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-16-2021, 10:15 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,559,721 times
Thanks for the explanation. My daughter gets blood clots so I'm always on the alert for this type of research.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Thanks for the explanation. My daughter gets blood clots so I'm always on the alert for this type of research.
I certainly hope they found a cause for her. It can be frustrating and challenging when they don't. There's always something new that we learn but it isn't always fast moving.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:22 PM

157 posts, read 91,028 times
Interesting. I started menstruating three days after my second Pfizer shot - 10 days early for me.

Now, to be fair, my cycles are often at least slightly erratic due to my age - late 40's - and perimenopause, so I didn't really think too much of it. But 10 days early was for sure a little unusual for me. I filled out the survey.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:48 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,588,132 times
Thanks Medical Lab Guy, for contributing to the threads on covid vaccine. It sure is an uphill battle...

Old 04-18-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Thanks Medical Lab Guy, for contributing to the threads on covid vaccine. It sure is an uphill battle...
Medical professionals have been dying along side patients with COVID. I am proud of my coworkers and follow professionals even though I am old and retired now.

I am trying to carry the message of hope and determination in fighting this virus and the vaccine plays a very critical and important role for all of us.

It is mentally and physically fatiguing to see people die and not being able to do anything about it. They have been at it for 13 months now non-stop.

I understand peoples concerns about the vaccine and they have not been ignored and they are being studied continually in terms of safety and efficacy. These are not normal times and the vaccine along with experimental drugs and testing were done under duress (EUA). I don't argue about their perfection but I do argue in favor of their measured intent.

Nobody is perfect when the times are imperfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness