Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 04:14 PM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That's a good experience to read. I have to have my cataracts removed, and I've been terrified of the procedure. I am planning to wait until this coming winter because I have outdoor commitments coming up this summer and fall and don't want to be out of commission for them. I'll be able to plan things ahead for a winter procedure and have stuff ready in the house and for the pets as well.

Did the doctor allow you to have someone with you during the procedure?

They don't allow anyone with you in the operating room, and most likely not in the pre-operating room after you're prepped and vital signs taken by the nurses there, while you're waiting for the surgery.

They have a waiting room for those who accompany the patients to the surgery location. At least this was my experience. Of course this was precovid ( 2013), but I'd think the same thing would be the case this coming fall.

I know how scary the thoughts of cataract surgery are to those who are facing it, but it honestly is a breeze, for the most part, and I'd bet you won't be out of commission for that long. And you'll be amazed at the improvement in your vision.

MY Husband needs cataract surgery too and he's dragging his feet about getting it done. He keeps coming up with one excuse after another, but it's really affecting his vision. Think I will have to light a stick of dynamite under his butt to get him going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 05:00 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
They don't allow anyone with you in the operating room, and most likely not in the pre-operating room after you're prepped and vital signs taken by the nurses there, while you're waiting for the surgery.

They have a waiting room for those who accompany the patients to the surgery location. At least this was my experience. Of course this was precovid ( 2013), but I'd think the same thing would be the case this coming fall.

I know how scary the thoughts of cataract surgery are to those who are facing it, but it honestly is a breeze, for the most part, and I'd bet you won't be out of commission for that long. And you'll be amazed at the improvement in your vision.

MY Husband needs cataract surgery too and he's dragging his feet about getting it done. He keeps coming up with one excuse after another, but it's really affecting his vision. Think I will have to light a stick of dynamite under his butt to get him going!
I was with my husband during his cataract surgery, which is why I asked. Of course, I don't have him now so that's a moot point. He dragged his feet as well. and ended up only getting one eye done. He hated any kind of medical procedure, which made it very difficult to get him to treatment when he got cancer. My cataracts are definitely affecting my vision, especially at night. Apparently they've only developed in the last 3 years since my heart attack, so I think they're cause by one of my meds. Oh well, I need the meds, so I'll get the cataracts removed. I'm glad you posted about having all the eye drops combined - I hate applying eye drops and will have to practice with Visine beforehand so I don't waste the good stuff!

Old 06-17-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I was with my husband during his cataract surgery, which is why I asked. Of course, I don't have him now so that's a moot point. He dragged his feet as well. and ended up only getting one eye done. He hated any kind of medical procedure, which made it very difficult to get him to treatment when he got cancer. My cataracts are definitely affecting my vision, especially at night. Apparently they've only developed in the last 3 years since my heart attack, so I think they're cause by one of my meds. Oh well, I need the meds, so I'll get the cataracts removed. I'm glad you posted about having all the eye drops combined - I hate applying eye drops and will have to practice with Visine beforehand so I don't waste the good stuff!
Well, the thing is that cataracts are a fixable problem- they're a thing of the past once you get that surgery, and your vision is amazingly improved once they're gone. Not like other health problems ( like heart issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc) that tend to be chronic. I'm not sure what medications except high doses of cortisones would cause cataracts, but I guess you never know. It's also possible you have had those cataracts for years, but they grew enough in the last 3 yrs to be noticeable and cause vision problems. I think that has happened to my husband.

I'm sorry about your husband, seems as though my husband is the same way about health issues, and I worry about him too.

Sounds like a good idea to practice with the eye drops, they tend to be pricey and you don't want to waste them, and it's not fun to aim for your eye and get the drops all over and anywhere except in your eye, it's messy too. I used to get the drops on my cheeks, till I was prescribed with eyedrops for my glaucoma and have had to use the drops in both eyes every night- for life as far as I know. Now they're no big deal, thank goodness.

Anyway, best of luck to you and be careful driving ( especially at night) till you get that surgery.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:02 AM

13,226 posts, read 7,280,089 times
My wife has decided to take advise from her Optometrist who said the cataracts are "Not that bad just beginning" she sold her two new sets of glasses cost us about $850 total. Her prescription changed rapidly in one eye about 18 months that's what prompted her to see the ophthalmologist who diagnosed her with cataract. I don't see the advantage of waiting but I guess new technology could come out I don't think in the next few years. These glasses will only buy her a few years or none at all this will have been a waste of money. Obviously the optometrist loses money if someone gets their vision corrected not sure if that is her motive.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:56 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,182,815 times
Quote:
That's a good experience to read. I have to have my cataracts removed, and I've been terrified of the procedure. I am planning to wait until this coming winter because I have outdoor commitments coming up this summer and fall and don't want to be out of commission for them. I'll be able to plan things ahead for a winter procedure and have stuff ready in the house and for the pets as well.

Did the doctor allow you to have someone with you during the procedure?
No, Bungalove, no one is allowed in except the patient. You won't need to make many, if any, plans for pets or anything except maybe order in or have something frozen to cook AND someone to drive you back and forth to the doctor. I was given some artificial tears to practice with. I even ended up with some drops left over in my 2nd bottle after my 2nd eye was done and threw it away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My wife has decided to take advise from her Optometrist who said the cataracts are "Not that bad just beginning" she sold her two new sets of glasses cost us about $850 total. Her prescription changed rapidly in one eye about 18 months that's what prompted her to see the ophthalmologist who diagnosed her with cataract. I don't see the advantage of waiting but I guess new technology could come out I don't think in the next few years. These glasses will only buy her a few years or none at all this will have been a waste of money. Obviously the optometrist loses money if someone gets their vision corrected not sure if that is her motive.
Same thing happened with me too. I went to get new glasses because my current ones were not helping my vision much anymore. That was the end of Nov., 2020. The Optometrist said in passing, I had cataracts starting. By the end of January '21, my new glasses didn't do anything anymore. I stopped by the Center for Sight on my way home from someplace one day and made an appointment for an exam. I had to wait for 5 weeks because the doctor is only there on Fridays. 2 1/2 hours of exams! Whew!! Flunked the tests, scheduled surgery for two weeks later. Two weeks after that, had my other eye done. 2 follow up exams for eye #1, one follow up on eye#2. Don't go back until October.

My housemate definitely needs to go for an exam but she refuses. Will only spend money on glasses. IDK why, she has the same insurance I do so it'll only cost her $125 for the drops and she can see and hear what a good experience this was for me and the results. I trusted my friends when they all said not to worry. Same friends as her too!!!

Old 06-18-2021, 01:17 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
I was told this about 20 yrs ago from an optometrist, and so I went to work to avoid surgery and worked up a program of supplements and here I am almost 83 and still doing fine. And know I will continue with what I'm taking.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
As I understand it a lot of people are informed as they get older they have cataracts, but they're small, or just beginning, and there is no reason for cataract surgery at that point. And some people get lucky and their cataracts never get to the point where they get big enough to obstruct their vision where it can't be corrected without surgery.

I had the same experience where my vision went downhill rapidly over a few months and I assumed I needed a new refraction for my nearsightedness. I couldn't believe it when they told me I had sizeable cataracts in both eyes. But I had the surgery, and boy what a difference in my vision!

Now if I could somehow convince my husband to stop dragging his feet over the cataract surgery he needs before he drives us off a bridge!

Old 06-18-2021, 07:19 PM

13,226 posts, read 7,280,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
As I understand it a lot of people are informed as they get older they have cataracts, but they're small, or just beginning, and there is no reason for cataract surgery at that point. And some people get lucky and their cataracts never get to the point where they get big enough to obstruct their vision where it can't be corrected without surgery.

I had the same experience where my vision went downhill rapidly over a few months and I assumed I needed a new refraction for my nearsightedness. I couldn't believe it when they told me I had sizeable cataracts in both eyes. But I had the surgery, and boy what a difference in my vision!

Now if I could somehow convince my husband to stop dragging his feet over the cataract surgery he needs before he drives us off a bridge!
Good indicator that she will ultimately get the surgery even while wearing the new set of glasses at night in the house she carries a flash light around with her in her pocket. She always pulling that out to read something or look at something. She blames it on poor lighting in our house which hasn't changed in the last 20 years. I worry that if she doesn't work it out herself she say I pushed her to get the surgery I don't want to be in that position. The doctor won't be the one to hear the complaints be me.

I don't blame anyone for being scared to get eye surgery we can lose a limb, and even hearing eye sight that's another thing. I envy anyone who is able to live on after blindness everything I love in life I need my eyes for.

Old 06-19-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Good indicator that she will ultimately get the surgery even while wearing the new set of glasses at night in the house she carries a flash light around with her in her pocket. She always pulling that out to read something or look at something. She blames it on poor lighting in our house which hasn't changed in the last 20 years. I worry that if she doesn't work it out herself she say I pushed her to get the surgery I don't want to be in that position. The doctor won't be the one to hear the complaints be me.

I don't blame anyone for being scared to get eye surgery we can lose a limb, and even hearing eye sight that's another thing. I envy anyone who is able to live on after blindness everything I love in life I need my eyes for.
That's my thoughts about blindness too. Thing is, that cataracts can get to the point where they cause blindness if they aren't removed. I had a couple of great aunts I can remember ( in the 1950's) who went blind from cataracts. This was before the surgery was the breeze it is these days.

I hope your wife will get that surgery, and I hope my husband will finally get his done too before they get to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness