Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 06:59 PM

585 posts, read 495,481 times

Advertisements

The dipstick was negative for bacteria. It was sent out for a culture and that was negative as well. Uncomfortable feeling in vaginal area. Urge to pee every 20 minutes and it’s small amounts. The dr prescribed phenazopyridine which worked within 20 minutes and I was 75% better. Normal pee no burning. I thought I was fine from noon yesterday until late this afternoon when symptoms can back. Now feels like only small amounts and I drank a lot of water. I’m at the very end of my period so getting a lot of old blood (sorry for tmi). It all happened early yesterday morning. Usually when I do get any burning or urgency to pee small amount it’s only for an hour or so but clears up. This lasted until I took the phenazopyridine.

Last edited by Layden85; 04-20-2021 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 07:47 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
The dipstick was negative for bacteria. It was sent out for a culture and that was negative as well. Uncomfortable feeling in vaginal area. Urge to pee every 20 minutes and it’s small amounts. The dr prescribed phenazopyridine which worked within 20 minutes and I was 75% better. Normal pee no burning. I thought I was fine from noon yesterday until late this afternoon when symptoms can back. Now feels like only small amounts and I drank a lot of water. I’m at the very end of my period so getting a lot of old blood (sorry for tmi). It all happened early yesterday morning. Usually when I do get any burning or urgency to pee small amount it’s only for an hour or so but clears up. This lasted until I took the phenazopyridine.
No results of dipstick there and the dipstick doesn't test for bacteria. The only closest dipstick test for bacteria is the nitrite test. Certain bacteria can convert nitrate to nitrite but not all bacteria. The doctors office didn't do an exam for bacteria proper as they don't have the equipment to do that test. One needs a microscope and and centrifuge. They do have dipsticks though. There are dipsticks specifically made for only leukocyte esterase and nitrite because of the sensitivity and specificity numbers that I cited in the previous posts in detecting cystitis.

As I posted earlier,

"A negative LE and nitrite can rule out uncomplicated and complicated UTI’s with a sensitivity of 94%. Patients showing symptoms with both of those being negative should under go evaluation for other causes."

You need to be evaluated for other causes.

There are dipsticks specifically made for only leukocyte esterase and nitrite because of the sensitivity and specificity numbers that I cited in the previous posts in detecting cystitis.

Not enough information and one is simply guessing at this point. The phenazopyridine doesn't prevent infections and I have seen quite a few people with orange urine come back through the ER with infections showing ie bacteria in the urine on microscopic. The dipstick results are all void because of the strong color. So it might be too early for you. A borderline microscopic WBC of less than 10/HPF might have been there but we don't know.

It would have been nice to see a urine microscopic to check for WBC's and RBC's the RBC's for stones along with any crystals seen pointing to possible stones.

Urethral irritation specifically urethritis might be a possibility in which case I asked about what test were done on the urine because one does GC and chlamydia on urine. One can also check for trichomonas on the urine microscopic examination. I don't know if you had a pelvic exam showing cervicitis or not because I presume you didn't have any vaginal discharge. Sometimes herpes can give urethral irritation. Obviously sexual history comes into play.

So just to maintain you privacy you don't have to answer any of the above. I am simply providing some information.

Good luck and keep checking to make sure it doesn't turn into a UTI if the urine becomes cloudy but kind of hard to see with that orange color.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:01 PM

585 posts, read 495,481 times
It was a culture and it showed no bacteria. The dr asst said it could be dehydration. I drank a bunch of water tonight and it seems to be helping.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:01 PM

1,147 posts, read 863,305 times
Quote:
It was a culture and it showed no bacteria. The dr asst said it could be dehydration. I drank a bunch of water tonight and it seems to be helping.
Dehydration on a urinalysis would show a high specific gravity with an increased darker yellow color of urine, increased mucus, and increased hyaline casts sometimes over 20/ LPF with 3-10 WBC/HPF.

It would have been nice to see a urinalysis just saying but I take it none was done.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:10 AM

313 posts, read 269,132 times
Quote:
My daughter and I had these symptoms with no UTI years ago. Our Dr told us to switch to unscented soap and unscented laundry products. Our symptoms have never returned.

Periods do cause irritation. Take a break from soap and wash with water only until the irritation resolves.

Never use bubble bath. Use unscented soap, unscented laundry products, unscented toilet paper and unscented wipes from now on.

Keep moisturizers, oils, lotions well away from this area. They cause irritation too.

Acidic foods/drinks can cause irritation. Soda, coffee and even vitamin C. Think about what you've been eating/drinking that may be acidic. These irritate the bladder/urethra causing an urgency to use the bathroom.

Last edited by Withinpines; 04-22-2021 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness