Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 07:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
My mom just told me he is quarantined with covid...

Unsure which vaccination he got , but apparently the vaccine does not prevent covid...
They’ve been saying along that you can still catch and pass Covid when vaccinated.

Wishing him well.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Whats the point of getting it then? How does that "stop the spread"
Supposedly the viral load is less with a mild case. That is how it can reduce transmission.

Old 04-26-2021, 10:45 AM

12,775 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Whats the point of getting it then? How does that "stop the spread"

Well, I hope once he got vaccinated, he didn't think he was suddenly a-OK. You still have to be just as cautious out there, wear masks & social distance still. The vaccine lessens the chances of dying from it if you still get it.

That's the problem. COVID cases & these various strains are rising in various places because people have gotten laxed because of vaccinations. They've been vaccinated &/or know many other have been, so they're not as cautious as they used to be. That's the wrong mentality to have!

Old 04-26-2021, 10:47 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:

Unsure which vaccination he got , but apparently the vaccine does not prevent covid...
Where did you hear it would prevent it?!

This honestly isn't hard to get your head around.

Listen carefully:
- Reduces your chances of getting Covid
- Reduces the duration you are sick after catching Covid
- Reduces the severity thus reducing your need for a hospital.

NO where was it said it would prevent it entirely.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:45 AM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:

That has always been the case and the CDC has said that on multiple occasions. That is why people should wear a mask after vaccination.

What vaccination does are two things; a) prevents that the infected will die and b) make an otherwise severe Covid rather mild. That is also why there is a strong emphasis on the elderly and those with underlying conditions. A disease that almost certainly would be lethal is turned into a mild nuissance for a few days.

Your uncle chance of dying from Covid is basically zero and if he would had gotten a severe infection from Covid, he is almost guaranteed that it will be on the mild side.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:25 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:

Nothing is 100%. This information has been stated to the public many times. It's on the CDC site, too, probably.

The vaccination is a certain % effective, masking is a certain (lower) % effective, distancing is a certain % effective. If you do all three things religiously (that's not possible), you probably won't get it. Otherwise, you're stuck with the % effectiveness of the protective measures you do take.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:29 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Just talked to my on again . She said that he got the Johnson and Johnson

Old 04-26-2021, 04:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Exactly!
Both the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines have efficacy of ~95%. I'm not the world's greatest mathematician, but I think that this translates to about 5% of the vaccinated population being subject to a "breakthrough" Covid-19 infection. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...dc-chief-says/

Based on the timeframe, it is fairly obvious that the OP's Uncle didn't receive the J&J vaccine, but--just for the record--that vaccine has efficacy of ~70%.

In case anyone thinks that these efficacy rates are not impressive, you have to bear in mind that--many years--the Flu vaccine has efficacy that is only in the 40% range, and in some years it is even lower than that.

Also...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...D9-mRyMuDtq-wk
My Uncle received J and J. Confirmed this with my mom today.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
What does your uncle do that got him vaccinated at 54 years old with a vaccine months ago? I am 69 years old and got my vaccine months ago.
Yes. I’m scratching my head about this. Weeks ago, sure. But months ago?

Old 04-26-2021, 04:58 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
What does your uncle do that got him vaccinated at 54 years old with a vaccine months ago? I am 69 years old and got my vaccine months ago.
Quote:
He works as a instructor at a major company that removes hazardous materials... asbestos, covid business/hospital sterilizations.. stuff like that ..

He does not work in the field anymore though . He is a instructor that trains them.

This question has already been answered. This thread is restricted to a discussion of the OP's uncle. This thread may not last much longer because we are not going to discuss AGAIN the pros and cons of vaccinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness