Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 01:02 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The problem with this statement is that it is an "absolute statement". The vaccine "works" and the vaccine works well compared to other vaccines.

This is not the same thing as saying that it works all the time or that every single person who takes it will never become sick with covid. The data we have on both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine tells us that the vaccine has efficacy of greater than 90%. This is a way of saying that if you take a group of people who have been vaccinated and you compare them to group that have not been vaccinated that there will be over 90% fewer cases of covid among the vaccinated group. Cases of covid will still pop up occasionally--rarely--in the vaccinated group. A very few will end up in the hospital.

In other words, the decision of the OP's mother to vaccinate makes her much less likely to get sick with covid. It does not make it impossible. Now, if the unvaccinated daughter were to change her mind and get vaccinated it would change the equation considerably. The chance of mom becoming sick from her daughter would become remote indeed.

There is another issue too. Its simply that the daughter should respect her mother enough to swallow hard and get a vaccination if she wants to see her. The vaccine is safe and over 200 million shots have been given in the USA. If there was a major problem we would know it by now. The fact that the daughter clings to an irrational anti-vax belief despite all this is sad. It tells me that seeing her mother in person is not a priority for her.

Excellent answer. Best in the thread

Old 05-02-2021, 01:11 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
The vaccine either made you immune or it did not. It's not 95% effective in an individual; it's that out of 100 vaccinated people, 5 will not have developed immunity.

If your mom is part of the 5% that are not immune, she shouldn't gather with groups of anybody, vaccinated or not, because 5% of THEM won't have immunity either.

I presume that seniors are being vaccinated so that THEY can enjoy the years they have left. Telling them; "You can't enjoy your years after EVERYONE has been vaccinated" is a pretty lame move.

Five % of the vaccinated people she gathers with may not be immune; the deal-breaker is whether or not SHE is.

And, how pray tell, would she ever know if she is in the 5% or 95% group?

Bless your heart

Old 05-02-2021, 01:17 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It should be up to her because she is the primary care giver and it should be based on the facts presented. We are dealing with a sister who refuses to get vaccinated and an 86 year old mother who I seriously doubt will recognize who anybody is wearing a mask because they can not see their entire face. If the sister is allowed to visit there is no way to enforce the masking wearing especially in a setting where food might be given and the cognitive abilities in interacting with a person wearing a mask is questionable. If there is a hearing impediment which is common then social distancing is out. More likely then not there won't be that intimate interaction with mask wearers. Facial recognition and expressions are so important for those interactions that mask wearing will go out the window once people get together along with social distancing. People need to get real. It's either an all in emersion experience or all out. It's pointless to have the sister over because it will only lead to a poor interactive experience for both the sister and the mother. Who wants to see somebody wearing a mask and hearing garbled speech through the mask?

I would rather do a FaceTime over the phone and one can talk and see the person without a mask mask and hearing talking quality would be much better.
Op hasn't said anything about her mom being too out of it to recognize people or so hard of hearing that she couldn't enjoy a visit. They could sit outside in the fresh air and even take their masks off to eat if they distance themselves. It is definitely possible to have a safe visit.

It sounds more like the Op is just weary of her sister and doesn't want to deal with her. If the sister hasn't bothered to try and see Mom for over a year maybe there is good reason for Op to be less than thrilled about the prospect of seeing her sister. There may be all sorts of reasons why Op doesn't want to encourage this visit that have little to do with Covid.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:23 PM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

There is another issue too. Its simply that the daughter should respect her mother enough to swallow hard and get a vaccination if she wants to see her. The vaccine is safe and over 200 million shots have been given in the USA. If there was a major problem we would know it by now. The fact that the daughter clings to an irrational anti-vax belief despite all this is sad. It tells me that seeing her mother in person is not a priority for her.
My 86 year old mother has had the vaccine, strictly her choice. She decided she wanted it and needed help making an appointment, so I made it for her. No problem. Her choice, and she's elderly and so her immune system may benefit from the boost of the vaccine.

I do not intend to get the vaccine myself, and neither does the rest of our family. She could care less if we get it.

We go to see my mother all all time. I take her to get groceries, we have family get togethers, we hug, we spend time with her, we all sit on the porch and recently churned home-made ice cream (peach, her favorite) and we have a wonderful time. She would absolutely not have it any other way.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:27 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
My 86 year old mother has had the vaccine, strictly her choice. She decided she wanted it and needed help making an appointment, so I made it for her. No problem.

I do not intend to get the vaccine myself, and neither does the rest of our family.

We go to see my mother all all time. I take her to get groceries, we have family get togethers, we hug, we spend time with her, we all sit on the porch and recently churned home-made ice cream (peach, her favorite) and we have a wonderful time. She would absolutely not have it any other way.
We've been doing this sort of thing all year long, too.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:30 PM

85 posts, read 32,077 times
Sure visit ~ vaccinated of not ~ it's all the same ```

Old 05-02-2021, 06:30 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Last August, we had an outdoor gathering with family, including my parents in their 80s. We'd all been social distancing anyway, and did so at the party. No hugs either.

No reason why outdoors with masks shouldn't also work for you.

Also, isn't your sister is more at risk from getting the virus because she is unvaccinated, rather than her giving it to your mom, who is vaccinated?

Old 05-02-2021, 07:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
My 86 year old mother has had the vaccine, strictly her choice. She decided she wanted it and needed help making an appointment, so I made it for her. No problem. Her choice, and she's elderly and so her immune system may benefit from the boost of the vaccine.

I do not intend to get the vaccine myself, and neither does the rest of our family. She could care less if we get it.

OMG! People with common sense!

Old 05-02-2021, 07:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Lots of helpful replies and now this thread is going down hill and posts are being deleted. Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness