Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 03:53 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Huh?! This is the kind of thing where I really wish people would read reports, see the data, and get with the program. The death count is first of all small worldwide - the 1917 pandemic killed roughly 3% of the world’s entire population, which would be more than 200 million today. By comparison, this isn’t even worth talking about. But to engage your erroneous statement, the CDC allowed every coroner to put “Covid” on a death certificate if they died within 28 days of even being suspected of having Coronavirus. That’s clearly a joke when you’re also talking about 97-year-olds and saying “oh he died of Coronavirus.” No, he didn’t. He died of OLD AGE. In fact, the average age of death in every country is roughly the average life expectancy in that country, so the idea that people “are dying before their time” is nonsense, very rarely happens. Beyond that, 94% of deaths involved an average of 2.6 underlying conditions, so there is absolutely no way you can state Coronavirus killed them. You can say it was thought to be associated with their death, but even that might be too strong of wording for many of the cases.

Additionally, 78% of all deaths were OBESE. Do you ever wonder why the case - not infection, case - fatality rate in Singapore is just 0.05%? That gives you an idea how “dangerous” the virus is for people who aren’t fat, of any age. Very, very low. In fact, the fatality rate for anyone under age 70 and healthy is about the same 0.05% and for people under age 45, it’s 0.01%. That’s one in 10,000! And that isn’t “healthy and under 45,” that’s just flat out under 45 regardless of health status at all, so you can bet if you’re talking under 45 and fit it’s probably 1 in 200,000, which is why I could give you until next week and you still won’t be able to name a single athlete anyone has ever heard of that died of Coronavirus. Heck, nobody in any major sport to my knowledge in North America was even hospitalized let alone dead. Because it’s NO threat to healthy people.

Were you aware of the above? Have you done that research or are you just reading CNN and a year later freaking out over what’s the sniffles to most people? Because we can’t move beyond this “pandemic,” we can’t return to normal without people engaging the facts and the research and understanding relative risk. If you’re 80 and unvaccinated, yes, it’s a scary virus for you. If you’re 25 and healthy, you should be FAR more worried about stepping in the car to go visit a friend. Just 8,000 of the alleged 575,000 or whatever Coronavirus associated deaths were anyone under age 40! That’s far fewer people under 40 than die in car accidents every year. Kids have about 10x the risk of dying from the flu as they do Coronasniffles.

I don’t “believe” or “think” anything, I consult the facts and the data and my “opinions” are not opinions, they’re established facts based on the data. The only element whatsoever that can be deemed an opinion is that I don’t think a 0.01% risk of death is worth any level of concern or fuss, and you certainly are entitled to believe a 0.01% risk is scary but I’d probably consult a mental health professional because paranoia about extremely unlikely events and lingering fear like that can have long term consequences for your health.

For the life of me I cannot understand the compulsion to minimize how nasty SARS-CoV-2 is. It's unbelievable.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:40 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,033,437 times
Now it's being reported that a delayed 2nd Pfizer shot is better for the elderly.

In a new paper expected to appear on medRxiv ahead of peer review, researchers found that people ages 80 to 99 who got their second dose at 12 weeks had antibody responses that were 3.5 times higher than those who got it after 3 weeks.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...sk-2021-05-14/

Oh wait, it's appearing ahead of peer review. Don't read it!

Old 05-15-2021, 07:42 AM

1,303 posts, read 843,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Here's what the authors said in their own words,

"This could be very relevant in COVID-19, in which dysregulated inflammation plays an important role in the pathogenesis and severity of the disease,” writes the team. “Multiple studies have shown that long-term innate immune responses can be either increased (trained immunity) or down-regulated (innate immune tolerance) after certain vaccines or infections.”

They are saying certain things are happening with COVID where the infection is causing inflammation and that inflammation is important in causing severe disease. They said in general they have seen similar changes with other viruses and vaccines in generating an immune response.

In other words it isn't solely an issue with vaccines and they are not pointing their finger at the vaccine and saying it is doing something that no one has never seen before.

Natural infections can also alter the innate immune response which makes sense because that is what immunity is or does it changes with time to combat any new infectious agent.

There is nothing happening with the vaccine that isn't happening with natural infections. Don't take the vaccine and and get infected and your innate immune system changes according to the authors as a result of infection. Vaccines mimic what happens with natural infections. It's the same biology.

The sky is falling because of the vaccine is BS.
I want to thank you for posting this very clear explanation! I have been wading through this thread, trying to make sense of all of the science and non-science. The thought that kept coming into my non-scientifically trained mind was if the vaccine could possibly have this effect (and the vaccine, to my understanding contains just a piece of the actual virus) imagine what the entire live virus must be capable of doing! Every time our body encounters an actual virus, it affects our body and immune system! That much is obvious. So, I don't understand all the concern about the vaccine affecting the immune system...it only makes sense.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:51 AM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
With respect to viral effects on the immune system, measles has a peculiar one. It had been noticed that when measles vaccine is introduced into a community or country, not just measles deaths go down but also deaths from other infections. It turns out that measles virus wipes out immune memory for infections that people had before they got measles, making them susceptible to those infections again. The measles vaccine virus does not have that effect on immune memory.

It is pretty clear that whatever a vaccine might do to the immune system the disease it prevents could probably do worse.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 841,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Now it's being reported that a delayed 2nd Pfizer shot is better for the elderly.

In a new paper expected to appear on medRxiv ahead of peer review, researchers found that people ages 80 to 99 who got their second dose at 12 weeks had antibody responses that were 3.5 times higher than those who got it after 3 weeks.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...sk-2021-05-14/

Oh wait, it's appearing ahead of peer review. Don't read it!
I would expect you to listen to non-peer reviewed or published papers with small studies and ignore much larger multiple studies that don't support your position of opposing the vaccine.

For everybody else, normal people, we do not change behavior based on rumor. There is no benefit nor need to be reading non-peer reviewed papers. ZERO benefit.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:18 AM

10,437 posts, read 7,537,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Huh?! This is the kind of thing where I really wish people would read reports, see the data, and get with the program.

Additionally, 78% of all deaths were OBESE...
Not quite. 78% of hospitalized in US have been overweight OR obese. About half the country qualifies for one of those.

You and I may be at low risk for hospitalization or death since we're not chubby and have no co morbidities. So what? It's still a nasty virus responsible for much morbidity and mortality worldwide.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:33 AM

1,147 posts, read 841,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Not quite. 78% of hospitalized in US have been overweight OR obese. About half the country qualifies for one of those.

You and I may be at low risk for hospitalization or death since we're not chubby and have no co morbidities. So what? It's still a nasty virus responsible for much morbidity and mortality worldwide.
Hopefully we all journey through life from infants to adolescents on to adulthood and eventually into old age. Various illnesses target specific age groups and unfortunately the young assume they will be healthy forever and think that they are doing something right in maintaining their health while others are doing something wrong. As we get older chronic disease and weight gain is pretty typical for most of us. The lack of empathy of people out there who only care about themselves is alarming especially since they themselves will be more than likely a part of the at risk group in the future.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:03 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,029,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I want to thank you for posting this very clear explanation! I have been wading through this thread, trying to make sense of all of the science and non-science. The thought that kept coming into my non-scientifically trained mind was if the vaccine could possibly have this effect (and the vaccine, to my understanding contains just a piece of the actual virus) imagine what the entire live virus must be capable of doing! Every time our body encounters an actual virus, it affects our body and immune system! That much is obvious. So, I don't understand all the concern about the vaccine affecting the immune system...it only makes sense.
There is a big advantage the body has when attacking a naturally encountered pathogen because the immune response is initiated at the point of entry, which is the mucosal immune system. The immune response to a vaccine is initiated in the muscular immune system, which is designed to respond to tissue injury, not provocation from pathogens that haven't been mitigated by the mucosal immune response yet.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:40 AM

3,095 posts, read 2,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
I would expect you to listen to non-peer reviewed or published papers with small studies and ignore much larger multiple studies that don't support your position of opposing the vaccine.

For everybody else, normal people, we do not change behavior based on rumor. There is no benefit nor need to be reading non-peer reviewed papers. ZERO benefit.
Strange comments, more attempts at mind reading and personal attack. I have the ability to read papers before they are peer reviewed without changing behavior. It's known as gathering information. I am intellectually curious. If you are not, that's ok. I also have the ability to read peer reviewed papers without changing behavior. Imagine that. Never did care about what "everybody else" does. I've never been a mindless follower.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:50 AM

26,638 posts, read 28,474,267 times
Bickering and getting too close to being a vaccine thread. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness