Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2021, 11:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

I watched the Rifftrax Version of 'Reefer Madness' earlier tonight, its been years since ive seen it, but it was great as ever!

However I noticed a few things I had forgotten...first, the doctor goes on and on about how Marijuana is so much more deadly and dangerous than Heroin or Cocaine, or Opium! ( I would like to see how they reached this conclusion in those days, (if anyone knows?)

The federal narcotics office also claimed Marijuana smuggling was much more serious and deadly, versus Heroin, Opium or Cocaine, and the federal govt considers Marijuana a much larger threat than Heroin, Opium or Cocaine...(again, I would like to see the data on this, Im assuming it was true at the time though).

I find it hard to believe Marijuana was, at ANY TIME, much more dangerous and problematic, (and this was the strains of marijuana back in those days!)

The Heroin of today is no different than the Heroin back then...something is suspicious to me, if they were saying Marijuana was much more dangerous and serious than Heroin!

The other thing, watching these older propaganda flicks....its easy to identify when they are using the same tactics today! Ever notice how HEROIN/Opioids are the BIG THREAT today? Hmmm...see the trend yet?! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM

608 posts, read 515,812 times
As soon as I saw your thread title I was going to mention Reefer Madness. Good call.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
As soon as I saw your thread title I was going to mention Reefer Madness. Good call.
I think this is why we dont see any of these type films on the dangerous drugs of today...the tactics used against Marijuana are EXACTLY the same as they use against Opioids today...

Reefer madness implied that using Marijuana would lead to madness, murder, life in prison...same thing is implied with opioids today! Strange that they didnt use some other method today, considering how reefer madness is nothing but a joke today and we are actually on the cusp of legalizing it everywhere! They would have NEVER dreamed of that in the 30s when reefer madness was made.

Old 05-18-2021, 09:05 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,487,302 times
I watched the 1936 Reefer Madness film last night because of this thread. Is that the one you both watched? Audio and video sure has come a long way since then!

Old 05-18-2021, 09:34 AM

11,075 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Seems more appropriate for this area:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/movies/

Old 05-18-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I watched the 1936 Reefer Madness film last night because of this thread. Is that the one you both watched? Audio and video sure has come a long way since then!
yes

Old 05-18-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Seems more appropriate for this area:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/movies/
Not really, Reefer madness was not a movie for entertainment, it was an educational film, to help kids avoid Marijuana...

It may seem like 'entertainment' today, but its not really, considering police and govt both still use those same exact methods to justify enforcing drug laws, the only difference is the actual drug, back then it was Marijuana, today, its Opioids, heroin, Fentanyl, etc.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:42 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not really, Reefer madness was not a movie for entertainment, it was an educational film, to help kids avoid Marijuana...

More accurately, it was a propaganda film, to help steer people towards synthetic hemp products.

Ten years after the film was made, the USDA was pushing the film "Hemp for Victory".

Until the war was won, then it back to "Reefer Madness".

Old 05-22-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
More accurately, it was a propaganda film, to help steer people towards synthetic hemp products.

Ten years after the film was made, the USDA was pushing the film "Hemp for Victory".

Until the war was won, then it back to "Reefer Madness".
It was also used to boost public support for drug laws, its amazing that such an old movie managed to change public opinion so much! Usually we laugh and joke about those 'old beliefs'...but in this case, public opinion has actually grown stronger to support drug laws and police still enforce these laws very aggressively! ( I dont think there is a single other example of this) I surely cannot think of any.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:29 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,656,648 times
That old commercial "this is your brain on drugs" with the egg frying in the pan was an effective one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness