Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 03:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Impossible burgers. Plant based "meat" Which is being marketed as an alternative to real meat. Which strikes me as a bit ironic. I can't think of anything which would require more processing to "transmorgify" (Calvin & Hobbs reference) it into something it's not. But hey, if you want to save a cow, go ahead and have at it.
The impossibly-sexy Dr. Shawn Baker (whose chest is worth a google, all by itself - and then there's that voice...), who's a bigtime carnivore/bodybuilder, here rambles-on about the UGLY REALITIES of plant-based "meat" (don't miss the part about the needles going into unanesthetized calves - over and over and over - to collect some fluid, as a key step in making the "meat"), as he ambles down to the beach, while walking his doggos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpdxitIem8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 05:41 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
When I think of "highly processed" foods the first things which come to mind are things like Beefaroni's and Spaghetto's, not scrambled eggs (unless from a carton, not real eggs. Most food items need minimal processing just to make them edible not to mention enjoyable. ...And I LOVE raw corn ! I've been known to eat my way through the garden much to the chagrin of Mrs Driver scolding, reminding me "Don't eat it all!". Particularly when the cherry tomato's ripen.

I haven't eaten Beefaroni's or Spaghetto's since I was a kid.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:08 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I think most of the people who cook corn have never grown it. Once it's been picked it starts turning starchy. If you get something from the store it probably should be cooked, but freshly picked corn is great raw. I don't really cook it so much as just get it warm enough to spread butter on.
How's the husk and stalk taste for you though?

Old 05-22-2021, 07:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How's the husk and stalk taste for you though?
If you're trying to break into comedy, don't give up your day job.

Judging how the livestock love the corn plants after harvest, they probably taste great... to livestock.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:33 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
The impossibly-sexy Dr. Shawn Baker (whose chest is worth a google, all by itself - and then there's that voice...), who's a bigtime carnivore/bodybuilder, here rambles-on about the UGLY REALITIES of plant-based "meat" (don't miss the part about the needles going into unanesthetized calves - over and over and over - to collect some fluid, as a key step in making the "meat"), as he ambles down to the beach, while walking his doggos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnpdxitIem8
I think those MorningStar veggie burgers are great. They make a reasonable facsimile of a burger because of the umami. With real veggies. But that impossible burger thing? I think it was creepy. A friend of mine wanted to try them and he bought and made them for us and it wasn’t bad tasting. It was fine. But there was little bit of texture stuff that was creepy. It looked like something that you would get from one of the Star Trek food generators. No thank you.

I’ll stick with MorningStar. Or an actual burger.

Old 05-23-2021, 12:00 AM

5,213 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I saw another one in the same vein about sugar, called That Sugar Film. The man consumed 40 tsps of sugar a day for 60 days. He thought it would be difficult to get that much but the first morning he had 20 tsps in a typical Western processed food breakfast.

In under 3 weeks, he had fatty liver. He gained weight despite the fact that he was eating the same number of calories, 2300 daily. Most of the fat went to his waistline. It appears that the type of calories is more significant than the number. Someone trying to lose weight while consuming low calorie processed foods and drinks is probably fighting a losing battle.

A month or so after returning to his regular healthy diet, his health markers returned to normal. It took a few weeks for his palate to adjust and enjoy healthy foods again.
And then you have this guy who ate only Twinkies, Doritos, Oreos and other junk food and lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks. His experience would be its the number of calories that you eat, now what you eat that matters when you are trying to lose weight.

Old 05-23-2021, 01:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pringles. Apparently they are so processed the only nutritional value left is a small amount of vitamin C. The rest of it is simply empty calories. That’s versus a regular potato chip which has a little bit of protein, a little bit of iron, a little bit of potassium and a little more vitamin C.

I mean a potato chip isn’t the best example, I just remember that kid that had food sensory disorder who would only eat Pringles and soda and ended up in the hospital extremely malnourished and I was surprised that Pringles literally had almost no nutritional value at all. Because it isn’t technically a potato chip. It is I believe dehydrated potatoes rehydrated, formed into those things and then I think they’re baked not fried to keep their uniformity.

Pringles are going to be high in naturally occurring potassium. Also they are gluten free at least. I've been eating impossible whoppers lately. The spiritual self help books will tell you (like David Hawkins "healing and recovery") that the idea that processed foods are bad for you is a belief system, and when he gave up these belief systems, he was able to eat whatever he wanted. Seems to me the fear generated by the green food industry might be as unhealthy as the food itself. I'm not saying you should live off donuts but plenty of normies live a long life eating what this guy states are "processed foods." Still, the post above mine has an example of foods that might even be considered vegan that are "bad" for you because they spike glucose levels and in the long term cause metabolic syndrome and weight gain. The idea that all meat is bad for you, that everyone should eat vegan, is untrue, especially if the "vegan" food is stuff that is high in carbs in fat like cookies.

I was going to get some plant based chicken patties that were on sale at costco, but when I saw that they were 2/3 carbohydrates I passed, not to mention the cheapest, bottom of the barrel ingredients... soy and gluten for the meat component. Not all plant based foods are going to be superior to their meaty alternatives, for those who care about animal welfare and industrial farming. Soy is not bad for you, but it used to be considered a cheap filler that lowered the cost of meat. Now that it's in style, they call it vegan and charge a premium for it. Kind of like calling margarine "plant butter" and the like... a whole industry based around taking cheap filler ingredients and overcharging to market them as green and healthy. Plus these are arguably "processed" foods.. but still, if I can find plant based burger patties for $4/lb or less, I will partake. I actually like them on the stove. I'm not a fan of stove cooked beef burgers... gotta be grilled. If I'm in a hurry, I find the plant burgers with high protein to be superior on the stove.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-23-2021 at 02:09 AM..

Old 05-23-2021, 07:46 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Not all plant based foods are going to be superior to their meaty alternatives, for those who care about animal welfare and industrial farming.
For those who care about animal welfare, the first part of your sentence is completely irrelevant.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:53 AM

600 posts, read 1,028,388 times
I experience a lot of stomach pain and discomfort when I eat processed food, so it is a no-brainer to avoid those types of food

Old 05-23-2021, 10:52 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Pringles are going to be high in naturally occurring potassium. Also they are gluten free at least. I've been eating impossible whoppers lately. The spiritual self help books will tell you (like David Hawkins "healing and recovery") that the idea that processed foods are bad for you is a belief system, and when he gave up these belief systems, he was able to eat whatever he wanted. Seems to me the fear generated by the green food industry might be as unhealthy as the food itself. I'm not saying you should live off donuts but plenty of normies live a long life eating what this guy states are "processed foods." Still, the post above mine has an example of foods that might even be considered vegan that are "bad" for you because they spike glucose levels and in the long term cause metabolic syndrome and weight gain. The idea that all meat is bad for you, that everyone should eat vegan, is untrue, especially if the "vegan" food is stuff that is high in carbs in fat like cookies.

I was going to get some plant based chicken patties that were on sale at costco, but when I saw that they were 2/3 carbohydrates I passed, not to mention the cheapest, bottom of the barrel ingredients... soy and gluten for the meat component. Not all plant based foods are going to be superior to their meaty alternatives, for those who care about animal welfare and industrial farming. Soy is not bad for you, but it used to be considered a cheap filler that lowered the cost of meat. Now that it's in style, they call it vegan and charge a premium for it. Kind of like calling margarine "plant butter" and the like... a whole industry based around taking cheap filler ingredients and overcharging to market them as green and healthy. Plus these are arguably "processed" foods.. but still, if I can find plant based burger patties for $4/lb or less, I will partake. I actually like them on the stove. I'm not a fan of stove cooked beef burgers... gotta be grilled. If I'm in a hurry, I find the plant burgers with high protein to be superior on the stove.
You weren’t wrong about that. A number of things that fall into a vegan diet for protein sources are things like beans and legumes. As I said before I am diabetic. Someone here on the forum for diabetes was telling people to eat to their meter.

My meter tells me that for me, beans and legumes are really bad. They are technically low glycemic I believe. The formula is you take your carbs and you subtract the half the fiber to get net carbs. It doesn’t matter even though beans in their proper proportion fit into a diabetic diet, for me they shoot my blood sugar up and it stays up. I can get away with a few of them on a salad.

I also have hypothyroidism so soy is something best kept at a very low minimum.

So I do get what you’re saying. You do have to eat in ways that are good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness