Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 02:41 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
And then you have this guy who ate only Twinkies, Doritos, Oreos and other junk food and lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks. His experience would be its the number of calories that you eat, now what you eat that matters when you are trying to lose weight.
Was the Twinkies guy eating the same number of calories as he was before the experiment? I did find that he restricted calories to 1800 during the experiment but I couldn't find what his calorie intake was before that.

The man in the film was consuming exactly the same number of calories in both diets. Sugar by itself doesn't cause weight gain, but excess sugar the body can't process was stored as fat, primarily in the midsection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 03:17 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Pringles are going to be high in naturally occurring potassium. Also they are gluten free at least. I've been eating impossible whoppers lately. The spiritual self help books will tell you (like David Hawkins "healing and recovery") that the idea that processed foods are bad for you is a belief system, and when he gave up these belief systems, he was able to eat whatever he wanted. Seems to me the fear generated by the green food industry might be as unhealthy as the food itself. I'm not saying you should live off donuts but plenty of normies live a long life eating what this guy states are "processed foods." Still, the post above mine has an example of foods that might even be considered vegan that are "bad" for you because they spike glucose levels and in the long term cause metabolic syndrome and weight gain. The idea that all meat is bad for you, that everyone should eat vegan, is untrue, especially if the "vegan" food is stuff that is high in carbs in fat like cookies.

I was going to get some plant based chicken patties that were on sale at costco, but when I saw that they were 2/3 carbohydrates I passed, not to mention the cheapest, bottom of the barrel ingredients... soy and gluten for the meat component. Not all plant based foods are going to be superior to their meaty alternatives, for those who care about animal welfare and industrial farming. Soy is not bad for you, but it used to be considered a cheap filler that lowered the cost of meat. Now that it's in style, they call it vegan and charge a premium for it. Kind of like calling margarine "plant butter" and the like... a whole industry based around taking cheap filler ingredients and overcharging to market them as green and healthy. Plus these are arguably "processed" foods.. but still, if I can find plant based burger patties for $4/lb or less, I will partake. I actually like them on the stove. I'm not a fan of stove cooked beef burgers... gotta be grilled. If I'm in a hurry, I find the plant burgers with high protein to be superior on the stove.
I misread your reply.

Pringles have no potassium in them. They are so far evolved from a real potato that literally they have the tiniest amount of vitamin C in it and that’s it — the rest are just empty calories and carbs.

Real potatoes actually have potassium. A Pringle is not anywhere near a real potato.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:59 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not surprising- did anyone see the documentary "Supersize Me"? Morgan Spurlock pretty much lived on food from the drive-through at McD's and made it a point to get the Supersized meal any time an employee offered that option. He ended up an absolute physical mess.

Yeah, Pringle's are disgusting. I was on a plane flight once with Buy on Board and selected a box with hummus, pita, olives, etc. from the menu. They were out of that and all the semi-healthy stuff but had Pringle's. I was grateful I had a stash of protein bars- also processed but at least had some nutritional value.
I know. I thought EVERYONE knew about that movie and the effects of processed foods. They age you. Most people who care about their health don't eat fast food and proceeded meats.

McDolald's is poison.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:08 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This!

And, most modern foods are processed to some extent. Pasteurized milk, cultured buttermilk, ground meat, yogurt, bread, pasta, canned fish, pickles, sauerkraut.
When I make bread at home, there are maybe 5 ingredients. I just looked up the ingredients on a popular grocery store bread and stopped counting at 25. French fries really only need three ingredients - potatoes, salt, and oil. McDonald's fries contain 14 ingredients.

Pasteurized milk or ground meat don't have additional ingredients added to them, most of which are chemicals.

Old 05-23-2021, 09:44 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,011,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Was the Twinkies guy eating the same number of calories as he was before the experiment? I did find that he restricted calories to 1800 during the experiment but I couldn't find what his calorie intake was before that.

The man in the film was consuming exactly the same number of calories in both diets. Sugar by itself doesn't cause weight gain, but excess sugar the body can't process was stored as fat, primarily in the midsection.

The point of the experiment was to show that it is the amount of calories that you eat that makes you lose weight, not what you are eating. Yes, he was eating less calories, that was the whole point.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:49 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
The point of the experiment was to show that it is the amount of calories that you eat that makes you lose weight, not what you are eating. Yes, he was eating less calories, that was the whole point.
I think that just illustrates that weight isn't an indicator of health.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, different thing. The experiment I mentioned wasn't about weight loss or lowering calories. He had perfect health and weight at the start. It was about health markers. The type and low quality of calories harmed his health and caused weight gain despite no increase in calories.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I consider processed food those things with long list of ingredients of things I would not consume naturally.

I buy bread and cereal that only have ingredients that I recognize as food. Is it processed? Yes. But minimally.

Of course I make exceptions. Morning Star sausage patties. I've never even checked the ingredients, I like them better than regular sausage.

But yeah, if I eat a lot of very processed foods, I start to feel unwell. When I was younger and would travel we would eat fast food and chains, and by the end of the week I felt gross and just wanted healthy food.

Generally speaking, I don't think there is any surprise that eating unhealthily is unhealthy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-04-2021, 11:59 AM

A study conducted by the European Food Safety Authority has deemed that titanium dioxide, an additive found in more than 3,000 ultra-processed foods, may cause cell mutations and damage DNA. This conclusion came after the review of hundreds of scientific studies.

In May 2019, Petco banned the sales of pet foods that contain titanium dioxide, but it's still okay for humans in the US.

https://www.ecowatch.com/food-additi...653197695.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness