Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 01:40 PM

533 posts, read 481,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Taking my elderly mom to Podiatrist next week for similar situation...They did mention toenail removal (at urgentcare)...will see what happens.

I wish your Mom all the luck and speedy recovery.

Please update us if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Raises hand.

I fought with toenail fungus for years---tried everything. Finally had them all removed under anesthesia by a podiatrist, after my GP did it improperly (ouch) with a local. They were just driving me to tears.

I'm glad I did it. No they never came back after the 2nd time. Yes, the matrix does have to be "poisoned" or the nail will come back. Mine came back with more fungus after being removed improperly.

So they have been gone totally for about 15 years and I'm not sorry. It is more tender where they used be, than I expected, but it hasn't caused any problems. No one ever notices they are gone. It doesn't look weird or creepy since the "shape" of the nailbed is still there. I live in flip-flops too.

I'm additionally glad now since I can't bend down to trim them with my bad hip these days. Nothing grosser than ugly yellowed longish toenails---ICK. Never have to worry about that!

What??????

So because nail was removed improperly the first time, the matrix was poisoned so you get ZERO toenail?

ZERO toenail, and you wear flip flops?

Aren't you scared if you get injury where your nails used to be?

Old 05-29-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Hmm, just wondering...did you have the fungus under the toenail? I mean just to apply vaporub on the nail wouldn't seem to do the job. In other words, did you cut the nail real short and apply it to the skin or over the nail itself?

That's a very good question.

In the Patient's case, it seems fungus is below (because there is pus below everytime Patient cuts the top thick nail)

Honestly I hope Patient doesn't lose his nails, and he gets clear fungus-free toenails once again!

Old 05-29-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Raises hand.

I fought with toenail fungus for years---tried everything. Finally had them all removed under anesthesia by a podiatrist, after my GP did it improperly (ouch) with a local. They were just driving me to tears.

I'm glad I did it. No they never came back after the 2nd time. Yes, the matrix does have to be "poisoned" or the nail will come back. Mine came back with more fungus after being removed improperly.

So they have been gone totally for about 15 years and I'm not sorry. It is more tender where they used be, than I expected, but it hasn't caused any problems. No one ever notices they are gone. It doesn't look weird or creepy since the "shape" of the nailbed is still there. I live in flip-flops too.

I'm additionally glad now since I can't bend down to trim them with my bad hip these days. Nothing grosser than ugly yellowed longish toenails---ICK. Never have to worry about that!

Wait, wait

A GP can do this. Well, patient sees Board Certified Dermatologist, so yours is a cautionary tale.

My God, the things people suffer with.

I hope you are in a better place now!

Old 05-29-2021, 03:12 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Wait, wait

A GP can do this. Well, patient sees Board Certified Dermatologist, so yours is a cautionary tale.

My God, the things people suffer with.

I hope you are in a better place now!
Not in a better place, but the toes/nails are fine, lol.

I guess you were hoping the nail to grow back flawlessly----I hope that happens for you. It never did for me, so I opted to get rid of them.

The matrix "has" to be poisoned or dealt with somehow, or the nail will return, deformed and still diseased, in my case. Better off without them (for me).

The GP did it wrong so they grew back; then the podiatrist removed them properly and they are gone now. I think a podiatrist is a better choice than GP or derm doc. FYI, I had no insurance then so it cost me $1,500 with anesthesia.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:

I guess you were hoping the nail to grow back flawlessly----I hope that happens for you. It never did for me, so I opted to get rid of them.

The matrix "has" to be poisoned or dealt with somehow, or the nail will return, deformed and still diseased, in my case. Better off without them (for me).

The GP did it wrong so they grew back; then the podiatrist removed them properly and they are gone now. I think a podiatrist is a better choice than GP or derm doc. FYI, I had no insurance then so it cost me $1,500 with anesthesia.

What??????

THat is ironic..

One would think Board Certified Dermatologist is better than Podiatrist.

Hmmmmmmmmm

THe Podiatrist is more convenient for the Patient than the Board Certified Dermatologist (he's elderly and in high COVID zone)

Oh my!!!

Old 05-29-2021, 06:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Hmm, just wondering...did you have the fungus under the toenail? I mean just to apply vaporub on the nail wouldn't seem to do the job. In other words, did you cut the nail real short and apply it to the skin or over the nail itself?
Applied directly to the nail.

Quote:
Initially Patient tried Vaporub, but didn't work :-(
I didn't do it for the fungus, I use it to calm my restless legs when requip isn't working. Noticed, fungus was disappearing with further use.

Sorry it didn't work for your patient.

My mom dropped something on her foot and it looked nasty. I suggested she try vaporub and it cleared up very fast! Mom was amazed. We use vaporub for a lot of different things.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:05 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
That's a very good question.

In the Patient's case, it seems fungus is below (because there is pus below everytime Patient cuts the top thick nail)

Honestly I hope Patient doesn't lose his nails, and he gets clear fungus-free toenails once again!

Why do the toe nails growing back matter so much to you? You said it's an elderly male patient. It's not like he's a woman painting his toe nails

Quote:

I had it done on my right pinky toe over 20 years ago, the podiatrist told me it may or may not grow back. It grew back "some" but it is a very thin nail that grows weird when it does decide to grow. It doesn't always grow.

Quote:
What??????

THat is ironic..

One would think Board Certified Dermatologist is better than Podiatrist.

Hmmmmmmmmm

THe Podiatrist is more convenient for the Patient than the Board Certified Dermatologist (he's elderly and in high COVID zone)

Oh my!!!

Why do you think a dermatologist is better then a podiatrist? A dermatologist specialty is skin. A nail is not skin. A podiatrist specializes in all things having to do with feet from diseases on the skin, toe nail diseases and other issues as well as various bone issues that need surgery. They even do surgery on ankles from what I've seen on a TV show called my feet are killing me.

You should go to the link and watch a few episodes to see what they do. There are 2 main doctors on the show but Dr Brad had another doctor that he practices with assist with surgeries on the show, people like her too so now she gets shown too. Personally, I think they're dating.

Anyway, they've seen people with all sorts of genetic foot mutations, such as a person being born with "lobster claw" feet, others have Proteus syndrome which is when bones grow too much and deformed. Some people have callouses all over the bottom of their feet that are an inch thick. Others have various growths in the feet or toes that have been pushed out of their socket and of course fungal toe nails.

Normally when Dr Brad removes toe nails, he kills the nail bed because fungus will more then likely come back. One of them removed a fungal nail from a kid, they did not kill the nail bed so the nail came back, looking healthy.

Dr. Brad Schaeffer - Hillsborough and Piscataway NJ. Sports Medicine, Foot & Ankle Reconstructive Surgery, wound care.

Dr. Ebonie Vincent - Irvine, California. Works with all types of foot and ankle ailments with a specialty in foot and ankle reconstruction and diabetic limb salvage. Fan Site

Last edited by Roselvr; 05-30-2021 at 05:40 AM..

Old 05-30-2021, 05:20 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Not sure why you would go to a dermatologist for something that is not a skin issue. I agree that this type of procedure is a podiatry staple. They know how to do it and are good at it. They have likely done the procedure many times. Why wouldn’t you want a doctor with lots of experience doing the desired surgery?

Old 05-30-2021, 06:02 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
Disclaimer: I’m not a medical professional and can only speak to my personal experience which is based on no research whatsoever.

I had a toenail fungus under the big toenail about 7-8 years ago. I finally found soaking it in a tub of apple cider vinegar, daily or every other day for three months, took it away. I would soak it for awhile (I can’t remember how long) scrape at the stuff that came off on the surface, soak it some more, etc.

I started with diluted vinegar, when I found it didn’t irritate my skin I eventually stopped diluting it.

I’m thinking your case is much more serious than mine was, I never saw a doctor for mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness