U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2021, 06:38 PM
 
184 posts, read 70,140 times
Reputation: 65

Advertisements

My Aunt lives far away and stubbed her toe this weekend. Swelling didn't go away. She saw Dr who wrapped the foot, told her to elevate, take pain killers, etc.

Dr will make appt for her to see her Podiatrist.

For 4 to 6 weeks how does someone in her condition manage with baths, meals, etc.

I really didn't know what to tell her except that when my co-worker's foot was in a cast, he had to put garbage bag over it before taking bath.

I said I'll ask around (certainly people had similar things happen to them)

Please share experiences, wisdom.

Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2021, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
18,970 posts, read 23,852,065 times
Reputation: 20736
A podiatrist for fractured toes? She needs to see an orthopedic dr. not a podiatrist. Where does she live? Does she have anyone who can help her. I am going to assume she does not live in the USA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 06:17 AM
 
184 posts, read 70,140 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
A podiatrist for fractured toes? She needs to see an orthopedic dr. not a podiatrist. Where does she live? Does she have anyone who can help her. I am going to assume she does not live in the USA.
She is in USA.

She and her Husband are Senior Citizens. Her grown kids are in another state. I don't know if her neighbors can assist. Her house is 2-floor (not apartment in city). Bathroom with shower is upstairs, she is stuck downstairs.

Her Husband is unable to help too much (recovering from cancer, had to remove thyroid gland, I believe).

Basically for next 4 to 6 weeks she cannot do the things we all take for granted.

Looking for any ideas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 06:41 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
12,038 posts, read 8,820,622 times
Reputation: 18489
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
A podiatrist for fractured toes? She needs to see an orthopedic dr. not a podiatrist. Where does she live? Does she have anyone who can help her. I am going to assume she does not live in the USA.
Most of the time there isn't much to be done about broken toes, unless it's a big toe that's grossly displaced. They will sometimes "buddy wrap" the broken toe with the toe next to it to provide a bit of stability so the broken toe isn't subject to excess movement ( causing more pain). OTC pain counters such as NSAIDS or acetaminophen will help for pain, and ice packs and elevating the foot will help with swelling/pain.

I've had a couple broken toes- one a big toe that had a dresser drawer dropped on it ( bare feet), went to the ER where they x-rayed it, bore a hole in the toenail to release the blood under the nail, and buddy-wrapped it. The second toe was the next to the last toe that looked to be broken from its appearance and the pain, but I never went to the doc or ER as I knew they don't do anything about it and I could buddy wrap, ice and elevate myself.

I didn't stop my everyday activities and obligations either time, just wore a bedroom slipper and/ or an orthopedic strap on "boot" I had gotten till I could wear a shoe on the affected foot again. Then I just kept kept on " keeping on", took OTC pain relievers, iced and elevated till the toes got better. Quite often a doctor will provide an orthopedic boot which will protect broken bones in the foot, these may allow the patient to walk some, and can be removed for a shower. Having a broken toe really isn't an occasion for total disability.

Oh, and podiatrists absolutely DO take care of broken toes, actually they will also treat broken bones anywhere in the foot, including doing surgery if that is warranted. It's really a patient's preference, or perhaps a matter of availability, whether he/she sees a podiatrist or orthopedic doc to treat broken bones in the toes or feet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 07:01 AM
 
184 posts, read 70,140 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Most of the time there isn't much to be done about broken toes, unless it's a big toe that's grossly displaced. They will sometimes "buddy wrap" the broken toe with the toe next to it to provide a bit of stability so the broken toe isn't subject to excess movement ( causing more pain). OTC pain counters such as NSAIDS or acetaminophen will help for pain, and ice packs and elevating the foot will help with swelling/pain.

I've had a couple broken toes- one a big toe that had a dresser drawer dropped on it ( bare feet), went to the ER where they x-rayed it, bore a hole in the toenail to release the blood under the nail, and buddy-wrapped it. The second toe was the next to the last toe that looked to be broken from its appearance and the pain, but I never went to the doc or ER as I knew they don't do anything about it and I could buddy wrap, ice and elevate myself.

I didn't stop my everyday activities and obligations either time, just wore a bedroom slipper and/ or an orthopedic strap on "boot" I had gotten till I could wear a shoe on the affected foot again. Then I just kept kept on " keeping on", took OTC pain relievers, iced and elevated till the toes got better. Quite often a doctor will provide an orthopedic boot which will protect broken bones in the foot, these may allow the patient to walk some, and can be removed for a shower. Having a broken toe really isn't an occasion for total disability.

Oh, and podiatrists absolutely DO take care of broken toes, actually they will also treat broken bones anywhere in the foot, including doing surgery if that is warranted. It's really a patient's preference, or perhaps a matter of availability, whether he/she sees a podiatrist or orthopedic doc to treat broken bones in the toes or feet.
Ouch!

I'm glad you were able to do everyday activities with bedroom slippers and/or boot. I guess my Aunt is overwhelmed because her right foot caused her problems before and now such tiny pinky toe fracture is
being a great pain!

Plus, she herself is a caregiver.


I am seeing her text now:

X-Ray says "non-displaced fracture". Hence the swelling and pain if she puts weight on the foot

Her general Doctor wrapped it and said she has to get cast or boot by her Podiatrist. General Doctor said Podiatrist is better than Orthopedist since it is fracture in the foot.

He will try to reach Podiatrist to make appointment for her (unable to reach as of yet)

General Doctor says no weight on foot, elevate, take 3 Advils (my Aunt says she will take 1 at night because Advil hurts her stomach)

My Aunt says she hopes Podiatrist has wheelchair.

I suggested stair lift, but how to remove it once the toe is better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 08:27 AM
 
Location: South Florida
847 posts, read 1,389,113 times
Reputation: 2722
My daughter has broken her toes a few times. She saw a podiatrist. Stubbed and/or broken toes are a huge part of their business. There are orthos that specialize in feet, but you really don't need that level of care for a simple fracture. Plus, they cost more and take longer to get an appointment.

The podiatrist always just put her in a removable boot that takes all the pressure off the toe when you walk. It healed in a few weeks. You can buy the exact same boots on Amazon for a lot less than the doctor charges if you do not have insurance. But, it is always a good idea to see the podiatrist to get the x-ray and make sure you know what you are dealing with.

A boot is not the same level as your shoes and will make your legs uneven. Developing back pain is common. They make a product called Evenup that you strap to your other shoe so that you walk evenly. This is also on Amazon if the doctor doesn't carry them. I can't tell you how many people who saw my daughter wearing one and said, "wow, I wish I'd had that. Where did you get it?"

My daughter has never had a traditional cast for toe fractures but they do make vinyl covers with a band at the top for just about any cast you can imagine....Amazon

Getting a knee scooter might be helpful, especially if she needs to be out and about, plus they are fun. My daughter did Disney and Epcot using one with no issues. This is also available on Amazon.

I hate suggesting Amazon so much but, if you aren't able to get around, it does come in handy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 09:07 AM
 
184 posts, read 70,140 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
My daughter has broken her toes a few times. She saw a podiatrist. Stubbed and/or broken toes are a huge part of their business. There are orthos that specialize in feet, but you really don't need that level of care for a simple fracture. Plus, they cost more and take longer to get an appointment.

The podiatrist always just put her in a removable boot that takes all the pressure off the toe when you walk. It healed in a few weeks. You can buy the exact same boots on Amazon for a lot less than the doctor charges if you do not have insurance. But, it is always a good idea to see the podiatrist to get the x-ray and make sure you know what you are dealing with.

A boot is not the same level as your shoes and will make your legs uneven. Developing back pain is common. They make a product called Evenup that you strap to your other shoe so that you walk evenly. This is also on Amazon if the doctor doesn't carry them. I can't tell you how many people who saw my daughter wearing one and said, "wow, I wish I'd had that. Where did you get it?"

My daughter has never had a traditional cast for toe fractures but they do make vinyl covers with a band at the top for just about any cast you can imagine....Amazon

Getting a knee scooter might be helpful, especially if she needs to be out and about, plus they are fun. My daughter did Disney and Epcot using one with no issues. This is also available on Amazon.

I hate suggesting Amazon so much but, if you aren't able to get around, it does come in handy.
This is some great, helpful info.

I passed this info on to my Aunt.

Knee scooter is better alternate to wheelchair (in most cases)

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 10:27 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
12,038 posts, read 8,820,622 times
Reputation: 18489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
My daughter has broken her toes a few times. She saw a podiatrist. Stubbed and/or broken toes are a huge part of their business. There are orthos that specialize in feet, but you really don't need that level of care for a simple fracture. Plus, they cost more and take longer to get an appointment.

The podiatrist always just put her in a removable boot that takes all the pressure off the toe when you walk. It healed in a few weeks. You can buy the exact same boots on Amazon for a lot less than the doctor charges if you do not have insurance. But, it is always a good idea to see the podiatrist to get the x-ray and make sure you know what you are dealing with.

A boot is not the same level as your shoes and will make your legs uneven. Developing back pain is common. They make a product called Evenup that you strap to your other shoe so that you walk evenly. This is also on Amazon if the doctor doesn't carry them. I can't tell you how many people who saw my daughter wearing one and said, "wow, I wish I'd had that. Where did you get it?"

My daughter has never had a traditional cast for toe fractures but they do make vinyl covers with a band at the top for just about any cast you can imagine....Amazon

Getting a knee scooter might be helpful, especially if she needs to be out and about, plus they are fun. My daughter did Disney and Epcot using one with no issues. This is also available on Amazon.

I hate suggesting Amazon so much but, if you aren't able to get around, it does come in handy.
Great advice! My daughter broke her left 5th metatarsal bone ( left foot) and used one of those knee scooters extensively to get around at work.

The other thing is that you can remove those boots when you shower or bathe so no problem having to cover a cast so it doesn't get wet and melt.

True it's easier much of the time to get an appointment with a podiatrist than to get one with an orthopedic doc,,and in my experience the podiatrists do a good job of taking care of foot injuries.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 10:45 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
12,038 posts, read 8,820,622 times
Reputation: 18489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
Ouch!

I'm glad you were able to do everyday activities with bedroom slippers and/or boot. I guess my Aunt is overwhelmed because her right foot caused her problems before and now such tiny pinky toe fracture is
being a great pain!

Plus, she herself is a caregiver.


I am seeing her text now:

X-Ray says "non-displaced fracture". Hence the swelling and pain if she puts weight on the foot

Her general Doctor wrapped it and said she has to get cast or boot by her Podiatrist. General Doctor said Podiatrist is better than Orthopedist since it is fracture in the foot.

He will try to reach Podiatrist to make appointment for her (unable to reach as of yet)

General Doctor says no weight on foot, elevate, take 3 Advils (my Aunt says she will take 1 at night because Advil hurts her stomach)

My Aunt says she hopes Podiatrist has wheelchair.

I suggested stair lift, but how to remove it once the toe is better?
No doubt your aunt's broken toe is causing her a great deal of pain, bone fractures are intensely painful no matter where in the body they occur. And any pressure on weight bearing locations where a fracture is ( like the feet) will make her see stars for sure.

Your aunt might have better luck with the Advil ( or other NSAID) if she makes sure she takes it on a full stomach, ie, with or after a full meal. She might also consider taking an OTC antacid with the NSAID. Its not a good idea to take an NSAID on an empty stomach- I learned that the hard way from developing bleeding gastric ulcers from taking NSAIDs on an empty stomach.

The podiatrist probably will not have a wheelchair for her use at home, but may recommend one of those knee scooters, or your aunt may feel better after she gets the fracture boot and finds she can walk with it.

When I broke my big toe I really didn't have the option of not continuing with my usual routine since I had young children at home and a full time job, it was a rough couple of weeks but we got through it. I'd guess if your aunt is older and retired she has the luxury of time to pay more attention to her broken toe and worry about it, LOL.

Anyway, hope it won't be as bad as she thinks it will be at this point, and things will heal well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 02:01 PM
 
184 posts, read 70,140 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No doubt your aunt's broken toe is causing her a great deal of pain, bone fractures are intensely painful no matter where in the body they occur. And any pressure on weight bearing locations where a fracture is ( like the feet) will make her see stars for sure.

Your aunt might have better luck with the Advil ( or other NSAID) if she makes sure she takes it on a full stomach, ie, with or after a full meal. She might also consider taking an OTC antacid with the NSAID. Its not a good idea to take an NSAID on an empty stomach- I learned that the hard way from developing bleeding gastric ulcers from taking NSAIDs on an empty stomach.

The podiatrist probably will not have a wheelchair for her use at home, but may recommend one of those knee scooters, or your aunt may feel better after she gets the fracture boot and finds she can walk with it.

When I broke my big toe I really didn't have the option of not continuing with my usual routine since I had young children at home and a full time job, it was a rough couple of weeks but we got through it. I'd guess if your aunt is older and retired she has the luxury of time to pay more attention to her broken toe and worry about it, LOL.

Anyway, hope it won't be as bad as she thinks it will be at this point, and things will heal well.
I texted my Aunt the info about taking Advil on full-stomach or with OTC antacid.

True, she is retired so this pain is on the forefront.

At least today she was able to get upstairs and take bath (1 1/2 hour instead of usual 15 minutes!)

Hopefully this 6 weeks will fly by!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top