Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 11:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

History on Anterior and MANY surgeons are no longer doing them. My friend had her first one the same yr I had mine, but she had Posterior and has NO numbness and nerve damage as I have from Anterior.

https://www.orthopedicsnh.com/blogs/...ry-portsmouth/

Oh the above is interesting as the Anterior had a resurgence by Dr. Matta and I recall he was the surgeon who taught my surgeon the Anterior. And that was 10 yrs ago and that's when I had mine, it will be 11 yrs soon...Ah, it's all coming to make more sense. I didn't know this...that the Anterior is really NOT new.

And boy have I been left with this: My whole right thigh is NUMB and for a long while I had burning neuropathy but that is about gone as I've worked on that issue with neuropathy supplements:

Injury to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve is quite common after the direct anterior approach and can sometimes lead to permanent numbness in the thigh or prolonged neuropathic pain. There is no good solution for this problem and while it is not debilitating, it results in nuisance symptoms that are not present from other hip approaches. In addition, scaring around the tensor fascia lata muscles can sometimes result in muscle discomfort in the thigh. This is also rarely seen in other cases.

I followed Holy Cross and the Anterior and Dr. Leone was backing away from the Anterior approach. He had a blog going with a lot of problem comments from the anterior.

https://holycrossleonecenter.com/my-...-anterior-hip/

Good luck with whatever approach you end up with. I know when I talked to the Surgeon about the Anterior I had no clue about hip replacements and I remember how I was told about the $50K Hana operating table. I must have been impressed.. But as I said I was SO SO new the believed the surgeon.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-17-2021 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 07:40 AM

37,586 posts, read 45,944,432 times
OP, just make sure you pick a surgeon that is very very experienced. You will be fine.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:54 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
OP: I was reading your post again, and so you are headed for 2nd one only this time Anterior. And Yes it's important to have a surgeon who has done many, I believed I had that.

A friend just had two anteriors maybe a year ago, probably a month apart, she was 70 or so and had been on a rollator for some years....so she really did not not walk much at all before the two hips were done. She did not have hardly any rehab and our other friend was shocked at this as we both had some PT, and one friend even was in rehabs a couple times for hers. The friend who had 2 anteriors on the rollator is still on a rollator but does walk a little so I guess that was some success.

I've thought of all this so much now for over 10 yrs and even to the point, that I had mine on a Friday afternoon, the surgeon had gone thru a week of grueling surgeries and he was probably drained...and ended up doing sloppy work. Think about this. If I could do it over I'd probably do a Tuesday late morning and if I'd ever do an Anterior, can't say.

And finally I have a friend who is 76 and she has been hit with hip issues and she's told arthritis and she is overweight, but refuses to do a surgery and most likely couldn't get one with her extra weight, so she just started with a walker. She's gone thru my misery and she has a lot of fear ...

Do you feel it's a MUST in your life to do it again? Some do well with PRP and probably depends on how advanced one's issue is. And you could have a good outcome, but no guarantees and I know t his one more and more.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:50 PM

My second one is scheduled. It’s absolutely a must for me. I have no wish to walk around stooped over and in pain. No thanks.

I know many people that have had a THR, some TWO, and every single one was very successful and all are glad they made the decision to have surgery.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My second one is scheduled. It’s absolutely a must for me. I have no wish to walk around stooped over and in pain. No thanks.

I know many people that have had a THR, some TWO, and every single one was very successful and all are glad they made the decision to have surgery.
Just wanted to update this. I am 5 days into my recovery. I am no longer using a walker, using a cane here and there. Sat out on the deck yesterday. Took the trash cans out to the curb last night. Took a shower this morning (yay!).

I was at the hospital at 5:30am. Into surgery at 8am. Eating breakfast at 10:30 and walking down the hall at 11am. Was home by 1pm. Just amazing.

The main difference I see with this time, is that my surgeon now prefers that we not take the oxy unless we REALLY can't get by without it. The prescription was just for a 5mg pill, and I have a weeks worth, but I took only the first one. It barely registered with me, so I have done without. Extra strength Tylenol, and an anti-inflammatory seem to be taking care of things. I am thrilled about that - last time the oxy really shut down the old digestive system, if you know what I mean, and that was freaking miserable. No such issues this time thankfully!

PT has come 3 times so far, and they do a great job. I think it's a definite plus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness