U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 01:01 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,567,108 times

Advertisements

I was born with a hip rotation, so I needed a hip replacement 10 years ago. (Cartilage wears out with this condition.) I'm in the countdown to my 2nd. This time the surgery will be different. The first was lateral (on the side) the second will be anterior (in front). My surgeon says it's a much better recovery (and tech has gotten better). He's even kicking me out of the hospital the following morning (not same day due to current pneumonia). Was in the hospital for 4 days after the first one.

There will be no physical therapy which really surprised me. Therefore, I'm looking for other ways to recover besides those standard exercises they give you.

My first replacement was a breeze. I was back to my regular walks 6 weeks later and back to hiking at about 6 months out. It's like I don't even have a hip implant.

I expect no problems but would be curious the hear from those who are active after anterior hip replacement and what happened for them. And what kinds of activities they discovered after their surgery.

Going rather crazy sitting around waiting... C-D is a nice distraction to keep up social contact.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM

2,166 posts, read 1,181,385 times
I had two anteriors. I was out of the hospital the day after surgery for both. walking was what I was told to do until cleared for further activity, which must have been at about six or 12 weeks (I can't remember)?

Old 06-06-2021, 11:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,749,423 times
I had a lateral surgery about 5 years ago. If I remember correctly it took about 2 months before complete recovery but I was back to normal stuff after about a month.

I have had no complaints since then.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:19 PM

14,297 posts, read 7,790,020 times
I had a lateral THR over 20 years ago. Yes, I know its somewhat different than an anterior, and also that post-op recommendations can always change over time. I can only report my own experience. I was non-weightbearing for 6 weeks because they did not use a bone cement. Young age, healthy dense bone. Waited the 6 weeks for new bone to form and anchor the implants instead of the quicker cement option. Once they evaluated the new joint at the end of 6 weeks I left my rented crutches at their office and simply walked out. No limitations, no PT and no problems at all. The joint is still fine today.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-06-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 08:06 AM

I'm asking more specifically about anterior hip surgery without physical therapy afterward. My doctor said he doesn't order it. I guess I could insist, if I felt I needed it. Will have to wait and see. I have steps inside and outside the house, so it's a concern too.

Just looking for stories about having anterior surgery and what kinds of exercise someone did if physical therapy wasn't utilized afterward.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:32 AM

11,525 posts, read 9,361,977 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUuBHxIzPwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA1rqT76COY

Old 06-07-2021, 09:47 AM

Should have known about these. I'm a YouTube fanatic. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:48 PM

14,297 posts, read 7,790,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I'm asking more specifically about anterior hip surgery without physical therapy afterward. My doctor said he doesn't order it. I guess I could insist, if I felt I needed it. Will have to wait and see. I have steps inside and outside the house, so it's a concern too.

Just looking for stories about having anterior surgery and what kinds of exercise someone did if physical therapy wasn't utilized afterward.
I understand. I shared the anecdote because some people report that they did go through PT after other types of THR and some didn't. The same rationale an orthopedic surgeon might use for ordering PT after a lateral THR could apply to anterior. They may take into account the physical condition of an individual patient's supporting musculature, joint, leg, possibly pelvis or spine too. If you are in decent shape and are released to weight bearing quickly after surgery, PT may not make that much difference in recovery. If you have been very disabled by your hip issue for years and need more extensive surgical repair to the joint, PT could be a game changer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-07-2021 at 01:03 PM..

Old 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM

I went through PT after the lateral and it was very expensive. It might not be now as I have Medicare Supplemental on top of primary Medicare. I found the physical therapy difficult at times, but pretty easy. The main problem was a bitchy first therapist who arrogantly asked me just why I couldn't do a "clam shell." Uhhhh, because I just had a hip replacement?? I changed therapists after that. The 2nd one was very nice, one on one and very helpful. I think it really helped and I'm concerned that I'm not getting any formal, professional physical therapy this time.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:52 PM

31,810 posts, read 38,080,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I was born with a hip rotation, so I needed a hip replacement 10 years ago. (Cartilage wears out with this condition.) I'm in the countdown to my 2nd. This time the surgery will be different. The first was lateral (on the side) the second will be anterior (in front). My surgeon says it's a much better recovery (and tech has gotten better). He's even kicking me out of the hospital the following morning (not same day due to current pneumonia). Was in the hospital for 4 days after the first one.

There will be no physical therapy which really surprised me. Therefore, I'm looking for other ways to recover besides those standard exercises they give you.

My first replacement was a breeze. I was back to my regular walks 6 weeks later and back to hiking at about 6 months out. It's like I don't even have a hip implant.

I expect no problems but would be curious the hear from those who are active after anterior hip replacement and what happened for them. And what kinds of activities they discovered after their surgery.

Going rather crazy sitting around waiting... C-D is a nice distraction to keep up social contact.
I had an anterior, 6.5 years ago. I had 2 weeks of PT that was awesome, and was back in the gym 16 days after surgery. I would never suggest skipping the PT - I am stunned that your surgeon would even suggest it. Home health PT is covered by insurance (at least mine was). I am also in a countdown to my second, darn it. My other hip, while it has not yet incapacitated me, it hurts to run now, I walk literally bent over slightly at the waist, and it has now impacted my sleep - and that I just cannot tolerate. I just had my initial appointment last week. They said that even in 6 years, the surgery has improved to where I will go home within a few hours - literally heading home by 5pm. (My first one I was at the center about 23 hours - under a full day.) My recovery too was a breeze, and I hope that this one will be the same. I have had no restriction at all in what I can do. I was back running in 3 months after the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness