U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 08:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 7,964,822 times

Advertisements

It may be too soon to be "after" but I wanted to mention something and caution others.

Some people will remember how difficult it was to find hand sanitizer last year, particularly in March and April. I found some on Amazon, bought it and liked it, so I reordered more.

About a month ago I discovered that very same hand sanitizer had been tested by a lab and found to contain significant amounts of benzene, a carcinogen. The brand is artnaturals. Walmart is selling it even as we speak. Made in China.

There are no lot numbers on these bottles, so I suppose it is theoretically possible that only part of the factory's output was contaminated.

The FDA has a list of contaminated hand sanitizers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 08:15 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,823,137 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...67c_story.html

Old 06-06-2021, 02:24 PM

14,215 posts, read 7,694,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It may be too soon to be "after" but I wanted to mention something and caution others.

Some people will remember how difficult it was to find hand sanitizer last year, particularly in March and April. I found some on Amazon, bought it and liked it, so I reordered more.

About a month ago I discovered that very same hand sanitizer had been tested by a lab and found to contain significant amounts of benzene, a carcinogen. The brand is artnaturals. Walmart is selling it even as we speak. Made in China.

There are no lot numbers on these bottles, so I suppose it is theoretically possible that only part of the factory's output was contaminated.

The FDA has a list of contaminated hand sanitizers.
Seem to recall a thread about this somewhere on C-D months ago.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:30 PM

6,804 posts, read 5,706,467 times
I read predictions that there will be a ten fold increase in deaths above the average, from diseases that were not treated during the pandemic.

I lost two family members who died (earlier than predicted) due to lack of treatment for their chronic conditions. One for cancer the other from heart condition. My sister in law who died from heart complications was a nurse.

Go figure

Old 06-06-2021, 03:41 PM

1,125 posts, read 403,525 times
This was supposedly news in March.

artnaturals products are all manufactured in the USA from globally-sourced raw materials. They don't -have- a Chinese manufacturer. They're a small California crunchy-granola skin-care and aromatherapy product company.

Valisure, the company that tested it, neglected to mention that there's benzene in just about everything, including the air you breathe. They listed dozens of sunscreens last year containing benzene, causing irreparable damage to some brands who were affected by the scare-tactics.

artnaturals is considering suing Valisure for harming their reputation with inaccurate data. So far, the FDA has not even so much as requested nicely that artnaturals take any products off the shelf. Usually if there's a safety issue with a product under the jurisdiction of the FDA, they are very very quick to issue recalls. This hasn't happened, and it's been almost three months now.

Old 06-06-2021, 03:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 7,964,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
This was supposedly news in March.

artnaturals products are all manufactured in the USA from globally-sourced raw materials. They don't -have- a Chinese manufacturer. They're a small California crunchy-granola skin-care and aromatherapy product company.

Every single bottle I bought is labeled Made in China. I still have some of them as proof.

Quote:
Valisure, the company that tested it, neglected to mention that there's benzene in just about everything, including the air you breathe. They listed dozens of sunscreens last year containing benzene, causing irreparable damage to some brands who were affected by the scare-tactics.
Now you're being so disingenuous I have to believe you're associated with artnaturals.

Quote:
artnaturals is considering suing Valisure for harming their reputation with inaccurate data.
Sure they are.

Quote:
So far, the FDA has not even so much as requested nicely that artnaturals take any products off the shelf. Usually if there's a safety issue with a product under the jurisdiction of the FDA, they are very very quick to issue recalls. This hasn't happened, and it's been almost three months now.
Actually, that's completely false.

The FDA, like other mammoth government apparatus, is very slow to move. Three months is nothing.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

14,045 posts, read 22,768,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Every single bottle I bought is labeled Made in China. I still have some of them as proof.

Now you're being so disingenuous I have to believe you're associated with artnaturals.

Sure they are.

Actually, that's completely false.

The FDA, like other mammoth government apparatus, is very slow to move. Three months is nothing.
I bought and loved some of their facial products. Didn’t hesitate to order the hand sanitizer. Was told it was back ordered, would ship in a month.

After a month with a shipping label generated and nothing showing up I contacted the company and got one response that was generic and rather rude… and that followed with two months of no contact at all after emailing and calling with no one picking up.

I called the credit card company and disputed the charge. I got a provisional credit back, with an almost immediate permanent credit very probably because of how badly ArtNaturals handled this whole thing.

Then I got the box about two months after I cancelled, and then disputed the charge. What I got was so foul I tossed it in the trash. One of the bottles leaked. And the odor was so bad — it was like chemicals that shouldn’t be mixed.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all this ruins their brand.

Old Today, 07:18 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,820,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I read predictions that there will be a ten fold increase in deaths above the average, from diseases that were not treated during the pandemic.

I lost two family members who died (earlier than predicted) due to lack of treatment for their chronic conditions. One for cancer the other from heart condition. My sister in law who died from heart complications was a nurse.

Go figure
That's borderline criminal, IMHO, to have set up such a scenario ( as in all covid all the time, nothing else matters) where people were unable to, or were afraid to seek treatment for, or manage their chronic conditions. Conditions which if neglected were more likely to kill them than the dreaded covid.

Fortunately our health care providers emphasized the importance of regular healty maintenance, management of chronic conditions, and kept facilities open and in business in this neck of the woods, and encouraged their patients to use them as needed, and not be too afraid to do so. And I think they did a yeoman's job at taking whatever measures were needed to make people feel "safe" as they cared for them.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Old Today, 07:24 AM

3,423 posts, read 2,016,443 times
Well anyway, now that they've shown that washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water is maybe even better than using hand sanitizer, folks will revert to what always worked before.

Old Today, 08:00 AM

10,884 posts, read 6,856,625 times
I've never ever bought hand sanitizer and only used it under pressure (e.g. entering a venue and someone is standing at the door with a sanitizer pump insisting that everyone get a squirt). I don't catch any more colds, flu or Covid than anyone else. In fact, less.

Just wash your hands, people. I've never heard of any reports that soap and water cause cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness