U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:13 AM

24,796 posts, read 8,104,107 times

Advertisements

I have been off the cigarettes for 3 full days now, Im wearing a nicotine patch and it is helping, my cravings seem to be all on the mental side, but Ive found that they pass fairly quickly if I avoid thinking about it.

However My breathing seems to be pretty bad, I looked up how long it takes for all the Phlegm to work its way out of my lungs and getting different answers...online it says 1-9 months before lungs clear themselves out, but my doctors are telling me its only 7-12 days...Can anyone that has stopped smoking give me a better opinion?

Im coughing phlegm up pretty regularly, but it seems to be a slow process...

I worry that the damage is already done and its too late now! Im thinking about asking my Pulmonologist if he can prescribe me some kind of breathing treatments, like a home nebulizer, I had a friend that used one of these years ago, she would use it twice a day, but that was not smoking related in her case.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 09:16 AM

3,274 posts, read 1,647,587 times
Congratulations on the quit! Good luck keeping it up! It's the hardest thing I've done in my life.

I don't remember how long I coughed when quitting. I've heard it takes a few days to a few months. You will feel better soon but you might have cravings for a long time. Not to discourage you, but I quit 15 years ago and I still get the odd thought of "Where are my cigs?", but it passes quickly.

I was a hard core smoker, 2 packs a day for about 30 years. I am convinced I did damage, how can I not have?

I wore a patch for about a year, I started with the highest dose one and worked my way down to the lowest. I'm not sure they are the same today. I would put one on and then when I got a craving, I'd scratch it to get the nicotine inside me. Maybe that was psychological?

Are you using chantix? I had friends who took that, I didn't. I was on a message board with others when we all quit. Maybe there is a similar thing today? I still keep in touch on FB with a few of these people, we have never met but we supported each other at that time.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:33 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,708,865 times
Drink tons of water, use a nebulizer or inhaler and do postural drainage. I've never smoked but I have lung issues where the lungs can't clean themselves like normal people. What about oxygen therapy? Is that a thing? I don't know but you could check it out. Another thing: chlorophyll gelcaps.

Best of luck to you and more power to you. I once lived with a smoker who just could not quit for trying. They would smoke to get rid of the jitters and then get a sick feeling when they did smoke. Those things have so much poison in them. I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. So difficult. Another smoker, my ex husband, only stopped when his heart surgeon told him he would die if he didn't quit.

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-12-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 AM

83,345 posts, read 6,977,760 times
Well done, keep it up, every day will be better. I can't remember how long it took to stop coughing, as I quit many years ago, but am very glad I did. You will also start to smell thing better. Hang in there.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Congratulations on the quit! Good luck keeping it up! It's the hardest thing I've done in my life.

I don't remember how long I coughed when quitting. I've heard it takes a few days to a few months. You will feel better soon but you might have cravings for a long time. Not to discourage you, but I quit 15 years ago and I still get the odd thought of "Where are my cigs?", but it passes quickly.

I was a hard core smoker, 2 packs a day for about 30 years. I am convinced I did damage, how can I not have?

I wore a patch for about a year, I started with the highest dose one and worked my way down to the lowest. I'm not sure they are the same today. I would put one on and then when I got a craving, I'd scratch it to get the nicotine inside me. Maybe that was psychological?

Are you using chantix? I had friends who took that, I didn't. I was on a message board with others when we all quit. Maybe there is a similar thing today? I still keep in touch on FB with a few of these people, we have never met but we supported each other at that time.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
I was a heavy daily smoker for about 30 yrs as well, The cravings are actually not that bad right now...but I think this is due to the fact that Ive reached a point where I cannot breath (if I were to continue to smoke), so that is more or less overpowering the cravings.

Old 06-12-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Drink tons of water, use a nebulizer or inhaler and do postural drainage. I've never smoked but I have lung issues where the lungs can't clean themselves like normal people. What about oxygen therapy? Is that a thing? I don't know but you could check it out. Another thing: chlorophyll gelcaps.

Best of luck to you and more power to you. I once lived with a smoker who just could not quit for trying. They would smoke to get rid of the jitters and then get a sick feeling when they did smoke. Those things have so much poison in them. I'm glad I've never had to deal with that. So difficult. Another smoker, my ex husband, only stopped when his heart surgeon told him he would die if he didn't quit.
I hope I dont need oxygen therapy (Im only 47 yrs old), but the times in the hospital when ive had oxygen, it definitely helped.

Its also pretty costly as well, and I believe you have to qualify to get it, (doctors cannot just write a script for it), you have to take some kind of exertion test to see how bad your breathing truly is, before they will put someone on oxygen therapy.

I will have to look into the postural drainage

Old 06-12-2021, 11:23 AM

4,048 posts, read 2,228,614 times
The mental side is the hardest part, and it could torment you for days or much much longer or not much at all. The patch really helped me but steel yourself for the long haul, and if it you turn out to be one of the lucky thats great. It was easy when I quit the first time at 31 and hell when I quit the 2nd time at 41.

On the bright side you probably have nothing to worry about in regard to the coughing as long as you don't start up again.Give it at least couple weeks before you even start to worry about that. You need to just focus on not smoking.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:38 AM

7,467 posts, read 10,570,040 times
I was a heavy smoker for 10+ years when I decided to quit cold turkey. I remember feeling pretty lousy at first but after a point I started to feel A LOT better. I also began to realize how much time I had been wasting smoking - all that "quick" stepping outside to have a smoke had a way of really dragging out the time it took me to complete tasks at work and at home.

You don't realize what a slave you are to cigarettes until you break free of them. I quit decades ago and now it's hard to believe that I ever smoked.

You will never regret not smoking. It's one of the best things that I've ever done for myself. You can do this.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 8,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was a heavy daily smoker for about 30 yrs as well, The cravings are actually not that bad right now...but I think this is due to the fact that Ive reached a point where I cannot breath (if I were to continue to smoke), so that is more or less overpowering the cravings.
I think the worst part of it for many is the first few days when your mind is preoccupied with wanting another but wanting to resist it. While any physical craving tends to diminish after a few days, the mind can still be preoccupied for weeks or months with the temptation for "just one more". Keep reminding yourself to hang in there and not give in. Take it one day at a time. If you "stumble", don't worry about it. Just start with quitting again. There's no need to put yourself on a guilt trip. If you're having trouble with breathing, talk to your doctor about it. He might want you to have and x-ray or a scan done to see what's going on. Don't get yourself freaked out about it possibly being too late. You don't know that without an exam. Worrying about what might be only adds greater stress and anxiety. Your doctor might recommend using an inhalant like Albuterol until you feel better.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:36 PM

633 posts, read 216,502 times
Quitting is hard but great job, keep going!
I think a couple of weeks to clear your lungs out .
I have also quit a few times. I mostly love being a non smoker but still have some moments. I'm not sure I could quit again though as it kept getting harder.
Your lungs will feel better and that heavy feeling in my lungs in the mornings is what got me to quit. I hated that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness