Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 07:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Nahh, a responsible doctor should be prescribing painkillers when people are in pain. That's their job. A responsible patient should just make damn sure they don't take any more than they need, any more often than they need to. Because when that day comes and you really think you need them, your doctor may not agree. The benefit of doubt should be weighted toward the patient, not the doctor, unless abuse is taking place. Most people do not become addicted..
You make it sound so easy, but apparently it's not or we wouldn't have the problem we have in this country with people addicted to opioids. Sure, not everyone becomes addicted but a LOT do, and coming from a long line of drug and alcohol abusers, I'm not taking any chances unless I'm DYING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Oxycodone makes me nauseous. I'll be out for 2 days once the nausea kicks in.
Fentenyl makes me extremely nauseous. So much so that I told the colonoscopy doctor to cancel procedure because the last episode put me out for 3 days.
I can't figure out how druggies can even use opiates when my reaction is so bad.
I don't even like the way Advil-PM makes me feel between the time I take it and the time I fall asleep, so I'm with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 10:25 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I saw an elderly woman without her normal multiple daily doses of Tramadol off of it for 24 hours and she was the most agitated, belligerent and hysterical person I've ever seen. And, I've worked in psych before, too. I wouldn't go near the stuff.
I've never had Tramadol but the stuff works. The vet gave it to my elderly dog who was in too much pain to stand or walk and 45 minutes later she was literally trying to run and play with the other dogs like she was a puppy again. We had to intervene to keep her activity down so that she didn't exacerbate her old joints with too much activity. Otherwise we were going to have to put her down. It added two happy and mobile years to her life. I don't know about the old lady's condition, but what is wrong if an elderly woman wants to use drugs? Afraid it's going to ruin her career? People will stop visiting her? She'll be treated like she can't take care of herself? I've never understood why healthy people restrict pain relief or pharmacological pleasures from the terminally ill including those dying of old age. It's not like they can go rock climbing or sky diving to get a rush, or whatever it is that would assuage their suffering. If it takes their minds off their bedsores, dead friends and relatives, loneliness, depression, etc, let them do whatever they want if it's not harming anybody else. And if it reduces their life by 10%, let them die with dignity 3 days (or whatever) earlier.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:39 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Oxycodone makes me nauseous. I'll be out for 2 days once the nausea kicks in.
Fentenyl makes me extremely nauseous. So much so that I told the colonoscopy doctor to cancel procedure because the last episode put me out for 3 days.
I can't figure out how druggies can even use opiates when my reaction is so bad.
I feel this way too. I took oxycodone after knee replacements, but after day 2 I gave it up. It made me feel worse than the knees did.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:15 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Nahh, a responsible doctor should be prescribing painkillers when people are in pain. That's their job. A responsible patient should just make damn sure they don't take any more than they need, any more often than they need to. Because when that day comes and you really think you need them, your doctor may not agree. The benefit of doubt should be weighted toward the patient, not the doctor, unless abuse is taking place. Most people do not become addicted..

Agree. The addicted people had other things going on with them that made them reach for the pills when they didn't need them. You don't just get addicted like that from taking them responsibly.

A responsible patient puts them in a 7 day container so they don't take more then what's prescribe if they feel they can't keep count. It works for a lot of people.

That day is here when doctors don't agree with giving pain meds.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
My husband is a recovering opiate addict. Any time he has a surgical procedure, the doctors/surgeons insist he had to have opiates. He cannot take one pill or he will start using again. He knows that and I know that. I actually got into a heated argument with his surgeon at the VA after he had shoulder surgery. He had made it clear that he could not take opiates. The surgeon was insisting that he HAD to take them to manage the pain. I don't understand why it's so hard for some of these doctors to understand.

On the other hand, he had one really good doctor when he was still on my insurance, who put together an alternate pain easing combo of meds that did not include opiates for him to take after his surgeries.

*my husband has muscular dystrophy and has had to have over 30 different surgeries in the 30 years we've been married and is looking at shoulder replacement surgery later this year*
Pain is HORRIBLE. I think also that doctors don’t know about how many different NSAIDs there are out there. The last time I had hand surgery, ice worked better than anything, but the doctor said to take a powerful NSAID — they were recommending Aleve at the maximum dose— and chasing it with a Tylenol. My NSAID worked.

My knee is toast, and I am in a great deal of pain if I do not take my NSAID twice daily. I take one called Lodine, generic etodolac. I’ve run into multiple doctors who have never heard of this NSAID.

So, I really think there should be way more research into pain relief. Because to me there should be a middle ground between NSAIDs and opiates. Just for people who can’t take opiates.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:37 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,924,107 times
It's the system. Big pharma gets rich. The doctors get rich. And the private prisons get rich.

It's really quite the racket.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:44 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Pain is HORRIBLE. I think also that doctors don’t know about how many different NSAIDs there are out there. The last time I had hand surgery, ice worked better than anything, but the doctor said to take a powerful NSAID — they were recommending Aleve at the maximum dose— and chasing it with a Tylenol. My NSAID worked.

My knee is toast, and I am in a great deal of pain if I do not take my NSAID twice daily. I take one called Lodine, generic etodolac. I’ve run into multiple doctors who have never heard of this NSAID.

So, I really think there should be way more research into pain relief. Because to me there should be a middle ground between NSAIDs and opiates. Just for people who can’t take opiates.

That works both ways. I refuse to take NSAIDS when I have severe pain because they do not work and cause stomach upset. If I have an owie or mild arthritis I may take NSAIDS. If I have serious PAIN I want a serious PAINKILLER.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:16 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-steed View Post
Does taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) help you guys?

I have 800mg capsules which work wonderfully usually for things..... If you cant get them that high,taking 2 400mg would be the same
Motrin (ibuprofen) is an NSAID. The brand name isn't as important as the active ingredients. There are people who cannot use NSAIDS because their GI tract doesn't tolerate them, because of other health problems (heart conditions) or because of interaction with other medications such as blood thinners. Different classes of pain relievers work in different ways. Sometimes combining different classes of OTC pain relievers works better than either one can on its own even at a higher dosage.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-17-2021 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 06:23 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-steed View Post
Does taking Motrin (Ibuprofen) help you guys?

I have 800mg capsules which work wonderfully usually for things..... If you cant get them that high,taking 2 400mg would be the same
I take a Motrin 800 every morning, I have the usual old age arthritis and have had two knees replaced. I think of the Motrin as the lube that masks the pain of the arthritis. I could, if I wanted, take 3 of these per day, instead of one, but fortunately, one does the job.

Old 07-17-2021, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,044 times
Yes 1 of those lasts all day!! (Thank goodness)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness