U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 08:30 PM

1,933 posts, read 2,842,168 times

Advertisements

At midnight after my knee revision surgery a nurse came in and woke me up to take another percoset. I didn't want it. I had had a little trouble going to sleep and found that simply hobbling across the room and back made my knee feel much better. A heated argument ensued. I was told that if I delayed the percoset it would be too late for it to have any effect. I don't believe that. She practically forced one down my throat. This conflict didn't do much for a good night's sleep but eventually I was able to relax again. When I have had surgeries or been injured I refuse many offers of opiate scrips or say "I only need about half that many." They end up being stashed for emergency use. Cleaning out some drawers in my study I found opiates that had expired 10 years ago. If my wife is given an opiate after a surgery or injury she has severe psychosis with nightmares and quasi-suicidal thoughts.

I have two friends, also elderly males, who absolutely HATE how they feel on opiates and would far rather stick it out without taking them. They both have had bike wrecks, one has suffered back trouble, and both have been placed under considerable pressure to take opiate pain relievers. I don't feel that strongly against them, but I like my brain to work and strongly dislike opiate induced constipation. After each knee surgery. (left knee, car with automatic transmission) I wanted to be able to drive safely soon so took very few opiates and none whatsoever before long.

Sure there is a place for these pills, but those who don't want them should be respected.

Now we have substances like tramadol which are not legally opiates but sure act like they are. I don't like them either.

I have joked that I could significantly supplement my income if I asked for maximum scrips and took all my leftovers to 6th street, here in Austin, Texas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 1,559 times
Im sorry they did this....... They often do as they are told wheather the paitent wants it or not...... I suppose you could have refused it at all costs but then she may have written on your sheet that you refused......

Yes when in other peoples care we have to watch out for ourselves even more as they may not do whats BEST for us.....

I hope you dont have any further dissapointments!!

Last edited by vcood; 07-12-2021 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-12-2021, 09:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,948,543 times
If you don't want opiates, tell them you are allergic to them when you check in. It will be prominently displayed on your chart not to give you any.

But frankly, I don't know what world you live in, around here people have to suffer in agonizing pain because nobody prescribes pain medication anymore. The minority addict population who couldn't control their addictions indirectly rigged the system so that the majority of people that have legitimate pain have to be disabled by it.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:33 PM

46,931 posts, read 67,423,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
But frankly, I don't know what world you live in, around here people have to suffer in agonizing pain because nobody prescribes pain medication anymore.
You wonder?
The US has less than 5% of the world's population but consumes roughly 30% of the world's opioids, including more than 99% of the world's hydrocodone and 80% of the world's oxycodone. And even that seems to be not enough.
There is nothing left for others ... They just learned to cope with the pain.

In most countries, the use of opioid prescriptions is limited to acute hospitalization and trauma, such as burns, surgery, childbirth and end-of-life care, including patients with cancer and terminal illnesses. But in the US, every adult in America can have "a bottle of pills and then some"...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-12-2021, 09:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 2,948,543 times
"including more than 99% of the world's hydrocodone and 80% of the world's oxycodone"

I'm sure that many people in Afghanistan have never heard of those drugs. When they are in pain they take opium.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:29 PM

2,620 posts, read 1,233,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
At midnight after my knee revision surgery a nurse came in and woke me up to take another percoset. I didn't want it. I had had a little trouble going to sleep and found that simply hobbling across the room and back made my knee feel much better. A heated argument ensued. I was told that if I delayed the percoset it would be too late for it to have any effect. I don't believe that. She practically forced one down my throat. This conflict didn't do much for a good night's sleep but eventually I was able to relax again. When I have had surgeries or been injured I refuse many offers of opiate scrips or say "I only need about half that many." They end up being stashed for emergency use. Cleaning out some drawers in my study I found opiates that had expired 10 years ago. If my wife is given an opiate after a surgery or injury she has severe psychosis with nightmares and quasi-suicidal thoughts.

I have two friends, also elderly males, who absolutely HATE how they feel on opiates and would far rather stick it out without taking them. They both have had bike wrecks, one has suffered back trouble, and both have been placed under considerable pressure to take opiate pain relievers. I don't feel that strongly against them, but I like my brain to work and strongly dislike opiate induced constipation. After each knee surgery. (left knee, car with automatic transmission) I wanted to be able to drive safely soon so took very few opiates and none whatsoever before long.

Sure there is a place for these pills, but those who don't want them should be respected.

Now we have substances like tramadol which are not legally opiates but sure act like they are. I don't like them either.

I have joked that I could significantly supplement my income if I asked for maximum scrips and took all my leftovers to 6th street, here in Austin, Texas.
Its seems like they cannot understand those who don't want these drugs.

And there was this decades long war on drugs that failed while Big Pharma-doctors-nurses pushes opiates.

Lawyers go from the FDA to work for the Pharma lobbies.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:46 PM

13,651 posts, read 8,963,294 times
Quote:
If you don't want opiates, tell them you are allergic to them when you check in. It will be prominently displayed on your chart not to give you any.

THEN, what happens if you really need opiates...You will never get them again

Once in your record, it's there forever

Old 07-13-2021, 03:33 AM

17,556 posts, read 25,787,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

I can tell you from experience that the nurse is right. If you didn't take it and bad after surgery pain kicked in, they can't catch you up on pain medication. It could be an uphill battle.

Happened to my daughter after tonsil surgery when she didn't "need" meds that 1st night. I had her in the ER screaming in pain. I believe they had to give her IV morphine.

You're right, there is a place for pills, after surgery is one of them, especially right after surgery.

Quote:

But frankly, I don't know what world you live in, around here people have to suffer in agonizing pain because nobody prescribes pain medication anymore. The minority addict population who couldn't control their addictions indirectly rigged the system so that the majority of people that have legitimate pain have to be disabled by it.

You're so right that it's not easy to get pain meds these days. There are many threads here about it.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:08 AM

899 posts, read 427,325 times
Default same w benzo

Quote:

Amen. I feel this way about a benzo. I was on correct amount, don't drink or mix with other pills. Then when covid hit we hear of ODs in Vegas. Well, I remember the office had a lot kids, perhaps early 20s that I know mix and drive. So yes, a responsible person doesn't get the dose they need. They abruptly lowered my dose when covid hit. Great timing.

Old 07-13-2021, 06:12 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,891,992 times
My husband is a recovering opiate addict. Any time he has a surgical procedure, the doctors/surgeons insist he had to have opiates. He cannot take one pill or he will start using again. He knows that and I know that. I actually got into a heated argument with his surgeon at the VA after he had shoulder surgery. He had made it clear that he could not take opiates. The surgeon was insisting that he HAD to take them to manage the pain. I don't understand why it's so hard for some of these doctors to understand.

On the other hand, he had one really good doctor when he was still on my insurance, who put together an alternate pain easing combo of meds that did not include opiates for him to take after his surgeries.

*my husband has muscular dystrophy and has had to have over 30 different surgeries in the 30 years we've been married and is looking at shoulder replacement surgery later this year*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness