Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 01:07 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times

Advertisements

Felt much worse after the shingles
shot than any flu, pneumonia or covid vaccine.

Old 07-17-2021, 01:18 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
My 86 year old mom just had first shingles (Shingrix) shot last week...no side effects whatsoever.

Supposedly needs 2nd shot in a few months...

Old 07-17-2021, 01:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
I got the Shingrex shots. Yes, I was sick for a couple of days. And yes, it was worth it rather than taking a chance that I would never come down with it. Rare or not, living with shingles can be agony for those unlucky enough to have repeat attacks.

Quote:
I also heard about a surgeon with shingles who could find no relief for his pain and took a scalpel to his back in an attempt to dig out the painful nerves; he wound up in his own ER—as a patient. I heard of another man with ophthalmic shingles who finally shot himself because of unrelieved pain. A Boston surgeon I met was on the verge of suicide due to unrelenting pain from a rare autoimmune disease.
(source)

Quote:
A car salesman jumped to his death off a motorway bridge after he was struck down by a severe bout of shingles.
(source)

Old 07-17-2021, 02:10 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Here's the other thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...-reaction.html

I had bad side effects for both sets that lasted about 36 hours. I was prepared after reading the above thread and did it on a Friday and spent Saturday huddled in a blanket on the couch. To me it was worth it.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I had worse symptoms after the second shot. My first was not bad at all.

I truly hope my shingles vaccines keep me from getting shingles, or at least a serious case of them.

Old 07-17-2021, 02:22 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Here's the other thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reti...-reaction.html

I had bad side effects for both sets that lasted about 36 hours. I was prepared after reading the above thread and did it on a Friday and spent Saturday huddled in a blanket on the couch. To me it was worth it.
Thanks, that is a great thread.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:14 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
But, I only know two other people who ever had shingles. I have read that up to one third of the population gets it. That is just not what I am seeing in my family/friend/acquaintance circle.
Maybe they were mostly vaccinated?

Anyway the side effects are worse for younger people. If you are only 60 for example you might take a chance and not get the 2 shot series again until you are 70, when you're less likely to have a strong reaction. My older friends did not have the reaction that I had. As long as you understand the chance you are taking, its your choice. The single shot may provide some protection, but not nearly much as if you got the booster.

Personally I may take that chance myself. My symptoms were not as bad as yours, but I am a weeny and do not like feeling sick.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:36 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Maybe they were mostly vaccinated?

Anyway the side effects are worse for younger people. If you are only 60 for example you might take a chance and not get the 2 shot series again until you are 70, when you're less likely to have a strong reaction. My older friends did not have the reaction that I had. As long as you understand the chance you are taking, its your choice. The single shot may provide some protection, but not nearly much as if you got the booster.

Personally I may take that chance myself. My symptoms were not as bad as yours, but I am a weeny and do not like feeling sick.
Yes, I am not even 60! Also, the side effects are more severe in women, apparently. I am now 26 hours post-shot. Still have a mild fever(100.5), headache, muscle pain, fatigue and mild nausea.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:55 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I had shingles on my face following cancer chemo. Luckily no eye involvement. Ramsay Hunt Syndrome/Bell's Palsy was a concern. You don't want that! I was also lucky enough to have post-herpetic neuralgia which isn't a picnic either. I've known a few people who've suffered shingles outbreaks. When we compared notes, my case was "mild". Mine resolved in about 3 weeks with anti-viral treatment, but some of theirs lasted longer and covered large areas of their trunk...where you have to tolerate clothing. At least on the face you don't.

Having experienced all that and knowing the long term damage a shingles outbreak can do, I'm planning to get vaccinated. No way do I want to experience that again at some older age. The potential side effects of the vaccine don't worry me. I'll schedule it when I can hole up at home for a few days just in case.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:34 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I did search a couple of times before making this thread. The threads you refer to must be buried in along with the copious threads on the Covid vaccine. Anyway. sorry you went through that.

I am feeling a little better, but am pretty medicated at the moment. Still with the headache, myalgias, headache and fatigue. Basically just lying in bed all day trying to sleep. I have read that these side effects can last up to three days …

I understand that these symptoms are way better than getting shingles. But, I only know two other people who ever had shingles. I have read that up to one third of the population gets it. That is just not what I am seeing in my family/friend/acquaintance circle.

I just feel a little blindsided by this.
I'm sorry this happened to you. I am also sorry but not surprised, that your experience is being invalidated or minimized.

That happens to me too, a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness