U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM

23 posts, read 19,124 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my sister. She was looking for a new doctor. She said they changed networks. They would accept her if she answered some question. One was "how much is your rent?". When she said she looked shocked, the staff asked "Are you section 8?". She got flustered and left. This sounds like a scam. Can they legally ask such questions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 04:40 PM

14,592 posts, read 8,109,196 times
Hard to answer. You only have your sister's version of the conversation to go on OP. Other factors that might be important: is she disabled? Is she over age 62? On Welfare? Receive Medicaid? Those factors can affect eligibility for Section 8 housing and the same factors could affect who pays for medical care she wants. Just speculating, so take this FWIW (not much ). They may be trying to get a snapshot of her ability to pay for services. If she can only afford subsidized housing, and can't afford private health insurance, they may have to write off a higher percentage of any charges they bill her for. They might refuse her as a new patient.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-17-2021 at 04:59 PM..

Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 PM

Thanks. I wasn't there. She went into the office and a staff member spoke with her. I don't know if the staff was medical or only billing. It just seemed like bizarre questioning. I know anytime I've changed doctors (or dentists or optometrists) they just say if they take my insurance and what the copays is either way. Even out of network practices never asked me such questions.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-steed View Post
They may be checking if she can pay them easily or not..... (Sometimes they dont like dealing with Medicaid/Medicare for example as they do not pay what they want)
In my experience, but could be the area, Medicaid/Medicare is taken in more places and gets better treatment.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:03 PM

She is under 60, has a mortgage, and has decent insurance through her job. The issue was the doctor was once in network, but recently got out of the network.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:08 PM

789 posts, read 282,885 times
Anyone can ask anything. You can answer anything or nothing. Very little is legally required.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:51 PM

89,971 posts, read 85,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-steed View Post
They may be checking if she can pay them easily or not..... (Sometimes they dont like dealing with Medicaid/Medicare for example as they do not pay what they want)
If the sister is on Medicare but the practice doesn't like Medicare, then it's just as well that she got up and left. OP, what kind of expenses would the expect the patient to pay out of pocket, besides the usual co-pays? IS your sister on Medicare/Medicaid? I thought Medicare, depending on the supplementary coverage one gets, covers everything.

Unless your sister's going to need expensive back surgery, which tends to bankrupt people just for the co-pays, I don't see how it could be a concern. Maybe that practice has had section 8 patients before. Are they allowed to discriminate?

Old 07-17-2021, 08:00 PM

6,537 posts, read 10,708,920 times
It may be possible that this doctor dropped the network because he was converting to what is called a "concierge" practice.
The staff may have been fishing to see if she could afford such a practice.

Basically the doc is not in any network, and charges a "retainer" fee, in addition to fees for service.

This happened to my daughter after seeing her doctor for 8-10 years. Daughter declined to join, and found new doc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concierge_medicine

Old 07-17-2021, 08:06 PM

726 posts, read 248,236 times
I'd be asking why they need information not medically related to my appointment.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:03 PM

12,761 posts, read 11,666,501 times
Yes, they can ask if she's trying to get free or sliding-scale care, which is based on her income/expenses.

It sounds to me as if her real problem is the fact that she gets flustered and walks out, instead of asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness