Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 01:57 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Correct. That's why I said most of us use our nose as a pointer, not all of us, and that progressives don't work for everyone. My artist patients prefer lined bifocals.
(sigh) thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 05:56 PM

472 posts, read 244,298 times
Yes!! I had a pair and had to get rid of them this year, and instead got two pairs of glasses (one for close up and one for distance). Because my eyesight is pretty bad, these two pairs set me back about $1K (and that was WITH insurance!) I just couldn't get used to the progressives because they drove me nuts!!

Old 07-24-2021, 06:08 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
You know you can get a pair of glasses with frames online for $6.95, right? Some of the places I've bought are 39dollarglasses.com, zennioptical.com, and payneglasses.com

If you don't trust getting them online you can take your Rx to Costco and you can get a decent set of glasses for $40ish.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:05 PM

111 posts, read 47,236 times
I wear progressive contacts; my brand is Bausch and Lomb's SofLens. They're multi-focal and work very well for me. I'm verrrry nearsighted, have been since 2nd grade. These address my nearsightedness and I can read with these too.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:19 PM

768 posts, read 859,390 times
No Problem whatsoever and I order all my progressive transition glasses from Zenni.....have about 6 pairs and one from the local "vision place on my insurance". They are terrible and even with insurance cost more than any of those I purchased from Zenni.....just like anything else....tomatoes are not tomatoes, cherries are not cherries, and glasses at a stand alone place who hires minimum wage workers are not true helpful glasses.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:41 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
yup, i have them too. I hate them. Totally useless. the eye dr said oh you wont have any trouble drawing or reading etc. Such nonsense and a big waste of money.
I threw mine in the trash nash.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:56 AM

157 posts, read 110,249 times
I've worn progressives for more than 10 years. Before that, I wore contacts for decades and got tired of them. The only problem I have with progressives is that you have to hold your head at an angle when driving so you don't look out the bottom end of the lenses. Other than that, I like them.

I buy the frames from Zenni.com and take them local to have the lenses made. I really can't stand the new style of glasses and like old school frames.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:38 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaladane714 View Post
I wear progressive contacts; my brand is Bausch and Lomb's SofLens. They're multi-focal and work very well for me. I'm verrrry nearsighted, have been since 2nd grade. These address my nearsightedness and I can read with these too.
I'm currently trailing B&L Ultras multifocal lenses. I'm also trialing a pair of Accuvue Oasis mono vision lenses. Both are significant improvements to my current contact prescription. I want to change my contacts because I was having to wear my reading glasses too often outside of the house to do things like read menus at restaurants, read my shopping lists at the store, etc. For me, wearing glasses outside of the house is where I draw the line; I don't want to do it.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to order the multi focal or the mono vision. There are things I like and dislike about both. For me, the B&L's are less comfortable and much harder to put in my eyes than the Accuvue's, they're also significantly more expensive.......but, if I'm being really honest, they give me slightly better vision than the mono vision ones, so I'll probably buy the B&L's.

Old 08-01-2021, 12:14 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,214,139 times
Do the size of the lenses affect how these work? I would a think bigger lenses would give more area for each stage of viewing.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:09 AM

326 posts, read 200,597 times
Larger ones create more distortion. With lower powers that’s not a huge problem but becomes exponentially more of the problem as the power goes up
The biggest factor is your tolerance
If you are a very persnickety person you must take care to get the very best progressive lenses
If you’re a laid-back easy-going person you can often get away with basic progressives
With progressive lenses there are so many variables. I recommend staying away from big box stores because they will sell only a limited inventory of progressives and not necessarily what is the best one for you.
Measurements for a progressive are not necessarily an absolute.A good Optician will take into account your posture , as well as random things such as how tall you are. 6 foot five person needs the measurements to be different from a 5 foot person.

When progressives first came out it was common to tell the client that they should also supplement with a pair of separate reading or distance glasses depending on what their needs are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness