Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 04:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times

Advertisements

My friend's mom had a similar problem after a minor stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 06:38 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
She keeps referring to it as her hearing problem. But I don't think it's a hearing problem. She says she can hear you but she can't understand. I think it's a neurological issue. She has a shunt in her brain because fluid was building up somehow and that was supposed to help. Has anyone ever had this issue?
It sounds like an auditory processing problem. See if she can understand when you write something down vs saying it. If so that would confirm it, and you would ask her doc to refer her to a speech therapist. We had a patient like this recently. She couldn't process commands verbally but if we wrote them down she had no problem.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:01 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The hearing loss we experience as we get older affects the tones on the lower end of the spectrum more than the higher...That's where the consonants tend to be, so the sspeaker's voice is loud enough to hear, but too indistinct to understand...They sound like Charlie Brown's teacher-- a trumpet slurring notes together .

Deeper males' voices are more difficult to understand than females' high pitch voices.
"Why are high frequency sounds typically the first to go in hearing loss?"

https://www.newyorkhearingdoctors.co...-of-blog-post/

Old 07-24-2021, 02:09 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
She has had hearing aids for a long time. They no longer help. I think this is a brain issue. Once, she flew home and said it resolved itself. I think it had to do with air pressure.

It came on pretty suddenly, too. She has had hearing issues for a bit longer but could use her hearing aids. But this is different. She CAN hear.
It still would be a good idea to have her/her hearing aids, checked. Even if just to rule it out.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:13 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
She has had hearing aids for a long time. They no longer help. I think this is a brain issue. Once, she flew home and said it resolved itself. I think it had to do with air pressure.

It came on pretty suddenly, too. She has had hearing issues for a bit longer but could use her hearing aids. But this is different. She CAN hear.
I could hear too. Sort of. The thing is that even though I could hear when someone was talking to me, I had a difficult time making out what they were saying. More often than not, it sounded more like mumbling or someone speaking more softly. I'd often find myself asking people to repeat what they said. Somewhere along the line it dawned on me that I was having a hearing problem. I've had hearing aids for about 5 years, and I started to notice I was having a hard time clearly hearing. I went in to a hearing center for a free hearing test, and it was determined that there was a slight change in my hearing loss. The solution is for have the hearing aids adjusted to match your ability to hear more clearly again. In my case, the manufacturer of my hearing aids, no longer make that particular model, so the software to make the adjustments is no longer available. Today, hearing aids don't necessarily require a professional to make adjustments. It can be easily done by an app on your phone. The point is that hearing loss can be a gradual thing that you don't even notice. It'd be a good idea for her to have her hearing checked. Most hearing centers will do that for free, but best to check about that to be sure before making an appointment.

Old 07-25-2021, 01:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Hubby cannot understand women who have HIGH voices...thankfully, I don't, so he CAN understand what I'm saying. And with the masks nowadays, that really messes things up for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness