Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 02:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
When the cravings go away the notion will likely appear that you can now have just a cigarette or two and not get addicted because you don't crave them anymore.

Don't let yourself believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. Addiction lies.
Totally agree - I quit smoking after just a decade and it was really rough - and I know if I had a single cigarette I'd be right back there.

And my understanding of addition is that stronger addictions occur when the mode of imbibing is faster. So with something ingested - that can take an hour or more to feel the impact so there is less of a psychological connection between the taking of the drug and feeling the effect. Smoking is quite fast, and so is very addictive. Patches I'd think are between ingestion and smoking...nicotine gum is buccal/sublingual and I would say much more prone to addiction than patches. If you feel the "hit" fast that's much worse.

Contrats on your great success - keep it up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 09:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Totally agree - I quit smoking after just a decade and it was really rough - and I know if I had a single cigarette I'd be right back there.

And my understanding of addition is that stronger addictions occur when the mode of imbibing is faster. So with something ingested - that can take an hour or more to feel the impact so there is less of a psychological connection between the taking of the drug and feeling the effect. Smoking is quite fast, and so is very addictive. Patches I'd think are between ingestion and smoking...nicotine gum is buccal/sublingual and I would say much more prone to addiction than patches. If you feel the "hit" fast that's much worse.

Contrats on your great success - keep it up!
I dont really feel the 'nicotine hit' from chewing the gum instantly, its more of a slow process, but I have started to chew regular gum during the day in place of the nicotine gum, I will see how that works out, too soon to tell if its going to work.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:07 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,040,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I skipped wearing the patch yesterday, and had a fairly bad day, although im not sure it was due to lack of nicotine, I had some problems with a concrete sawing company I hired to cut a trench, (laying a new driveway drain...I specifically told them I needed a 6" wide trench from the old drain to the dirt...I even had it marked in spray paint...I get home and find they only did about half of it...and I paid them $300. GEEZ!!) I think there was some misunderstanding, but it still frustrated me.

I dont think I would have been as frustrated, had I had my nicotine 'fix' from the patch...but who knows, maybe I would have been equally frustrated! LOL

***I wanted to ask you Fisheye...did you ever develop COPD from your days of smoking? Im not getting much relief from my pulm doc, so I asked my primary care doc about it and she told me they treat COPD all the time, she finally put me on a 'control medicine'...(something my pulm never did for some reason), Ive been feeling much better since, I still have to use my nebulizer, but I no longer wake up out of breath and can sleep the night thru without needing a nebulizer treatment overnight)

My primary doc told me my lungs will clean themselves out over 9 months to a year, so 1 month smoke free is still fairly soon, I should feel better as time goes on.

I know what you mean about the last part of your post...I pretty much heavily rely on things going smoothly, (work, personal life, etc)...I get frustrated pretty easy when things go wrong...this is something I have to work on in the future.
The effects of smoking can surface long after you quit......COPD, cancer. Many long term smokers wind up on oxgen machines, long after they quit smoking.....I know some of these folks. Not to mention second hand smoke, and the effects of it on loved ones.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:19 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,944,888 times
OP, glad to see your primary care doc has put you on a new bronchodilator (sounds like) and that you're breathing easier.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:20 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
My doctors keep telling me my breathing/lung function will greatly improve over the next 9 months to a year (as long as I remain tobacco free of course).
That sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not sure I get the connection between your liver and sweets. Never heard of sugar affecting the liver.
Too much sugar can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, which can be just as damaging to the liver as alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness