Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 10:31 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Prior to agriculture, the natural forest/jungle/veldt did not have fruits and nuts in abundance. They don't have them in abundance even now. Edible plants are very hard to find in the natural jungle, and those that are edible take a great deal of preparation (cutting, grinding, mashing, boiling) to make them digestible. A jungle/forest/veldt dweller can't just reach up into any tree and pluck food.
Not completely true. Yea not like supermarket where everything available in abundance (except toilet paper) year round and in form easy to eat. But there were times of year where nuts and fruits more abundant than others. Nuts did store well, but competition from wildlife so you had to harvest them when you got the chance.

Where I live there are lot wild hickory trees producing nuts and oaks producing acorns. Both are edible, but they arent some easy food. Wild hickory nuts are very hard to get the inner edible parts out (more shell than nut), tasty if you have lot patience... But the native Indians in this area crushed the nuts and boiled them shell and all and strained and drank the liquid to get the nutrition. The acorns are high in tannic acid so though they may resemble a filbert/hazelnut, they arent. You have to blanch them to make them edible for humans. If you are needing food, they are worth it. Otherwise better let wildlife have them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSSk9I8u7g

Wild foods are edible, they just arent convenient and lot times unless you are starving, not particularly palatable. And they arent available year round though usually some fruit of one variety or other havestable during summer and fall. In tropical areas guessing something or other available most of year. Maybe not what you want to eat, but something to eat. And you are competing with wildlife for it too. Its amazing how fast the acorns and hickory nuts disappear in season here and I pretty much live in an oak and hickory forest. The wild black walnuts not so much, they also take lot work to process. Less popular with the wildlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 11:20 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Prior to agriculture, the natural forest/jungle/veldt did not have fruits and nuts in abundance. They don't have them in abundance even now. Edible plants are very hard to find in the natural jungle, and those that are edible take a great deal of preparation (cutting, grinding, mashing, boiling) to make them digestible. A jungle/forest/veldt dweller can't just reach up into any tree and pluck food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Not completely true. Yea not like supermarket where everything available in abundance (except toilet paper) year round and in form easy to eat. But there were times of year where nuts and fruits more abundant than others. Nuts did store well, but competition from wildlife so you had to harvest them when you got the chance.

Where I live there are lot wild hickory trees producing nuts and oaks producing acorns. Both are edible, but they arent some easy food. Wild hickory nuts are very hard to get the inner edible parts out (more shell than nut), tasty if you have lot patience... But the native Indians in this area crushed the nuts and boiled them shell and all and strained and drank the liquid to get the nutrition. The acorns are high in tannic acid so though they may resemble a filbert/hazelnut, they arent. You have to blanch them to make them edible for humans. If you are needing food, they are worth it. Otherwise better let wildlife have them.

Wild foods are edible, they just arent convenient and lot times unless you are starving, not particularly palatable. And they arent available year round though usually some fruit of one variety or other havestable during summer and fall. In tropical areas guessing something or other available most of year. Maybe not what you want to eat, but something to eat. And you are competing with wildlife for it too. Its amazing how fast the acorns and hickory nuts disappear in season here and I pretty much live in an oak and hickory forest. The wild black walnuts not so much, they also take lot work to process. Less popular with the wildlife.
You just totally repeated what I said. I used to teach jungle survival...yeah, it has to be taught, because otherwise you'd starve to death even in a jungle. That's why hunter-gatherers spend most of every day hunting-gathering and not partying.

And it's not as though human beings can survive on nuts alone.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:10 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Quote:
You just totally repeated what I said. I used to teach jungle survival...yeah, it has to be taught, because otherwise you'd starve to death even in a jungle. That's why hunter-gatherers spend most of every day hunting-gathering and not partying.

And it's not as though human beings can survive on nuts alone.
They are in abundance AT PARTICULAR TIMES OF THE YEAR. Thats why humans learned to dry and preserve foods. No local Piggly Wiggly, you had to be thinking ahead. When there was abundance you gathered and preserved it. Anybody that thinks food is easily available in wild 24/7 is fooling themselves. Everything has its season. And you dont want to overharvest wild foods or less available next time. Those nuts are the start of new trees. Most people growing up on small farms even into 50s and 60s figured this out as traditional ag worked same way. You arent going to grow a garden in January most places in northern latitudes. You needed to preserve food. Now its all factory farming farmers farming half a county dont grow their own food, they specialize and buy at super market like everybody else.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:40 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
My doctor (a traditional MD) advises avoiding them. The plants used to make those oils tend to be some of the most modified and pesticide ridden.

She recommends Avocado Oil instead. Works the same as the other vegetable oils (withstands high heat, no real flavor, etc.) and it tends to be "cleaner." It may not be perfect, but it's probably a little better at least. I buy it at Costco, and it's really not much more expensive.

Old 08-02-2021, 08:38 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I think the biggest issue is excessive Omega-6 in the diet.

Most plant-based oils are very high in Omega-6

Old 08-02-2021, 11:18 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
No.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:43 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,077,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If you want a good sear on a steak then wont the olive oil, and butter burn?

I don't sear steaks on the stove- steaks always go on the grill.

However, I do brown roasts on the stove (if I'm not smoking it). When I do, I use olive oil, never had a problem with the oil burning. I generally use either a cast iron pan, or high-carbon steel.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:18 AM

164 posts, read 127,245 times
Hi,

I use olive oil to cook food on the recommendation of my physician and I think it is healthy than other vegetable oils.

Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 02:22 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
Quote:
For the bulk of human evolution we ate nothing but meat and animal products including bugs. Hunter-gatherers would eat things like berries if they happened upon them but such foods were usually not around and most berries only fruited a few weeks out of the year. How many cave paintings depicted humans picking berries? They all show humans killing animals. Plants and plant products were famine food, though some were used as medicine. Humans only ate plants if they absolutely had to because they had little knowledge if the plants would make them sick or kill them or not. The animals were always safe to eat. Most plants ARE toxic. If you look at staple crops like potatoes, yams, cassava, etc these are all toxic foods that are rendered safe to eat by cooking. Rendering something 'safe' doesn't mean the same as 'healthy'. Other foods like wheat humans can't extract any nutrition from it unless it is made into something else like bread. Essentially every plant that humans eat that has any nutritional value has to be modified by some scientific process in order to be consumed. Eating plants isn't natural for humans. Mammals that are good at it, like cows, have a four chambered stomach with what amounts to a bio-reactor that allows bacteria to break down the plants into a form that can be digested.

There are a number of chronic human conditions like type-1 and 2 diabetes, obesity, seizure and migraine disorders, eczema, etc that can be completely cured by eliminating plants from the diet. It's often called the zero-carb or carnivore diet. Some people can't completely give up their carbs and find the low-carb keto diet can cure many of their ailments, but it won't cure things like diabetes or seizure disorders.

Meanwhile, bad science is preaching that we should all eat a plant-based diet. They are ignoring facts and pushing millions of people into having life-long chronic illnesses. The worst kinds of plant products to eat are the types where science purposely concentrates plants into a form that humans never encounter in nature. Things like high-fructose corn syrup and seed oils top the list. Probably the worst of all is cottonseed oil. It is rendered "safer" to consume during the refining process when a dangerous toxin called gossypol is removed. Unrefined cottonseed oil is sometimes used as an insecticide.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:15 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times
Good manufacturers will use antioxidants to keep the oil from going rancid as fast. That said I've smelt clearly going bad canola oil purchased from Costco. Most important is that the oil doesn't smell rancid. I'm not totally convinced all this bad internet hype about processed seed oils is true.

People say too many omega 6 oils are bad but in reality in moderation I'm sure they are fine. Now if someone lives off potato chips and french fries maybe not.

They do make high oleic versions of some oils using GMO crops but they haven't replaced the regular versions yet likely due to costs being higher from patents and the like. Fact is we need to feed a lot of people on this planet and growing soybeans for oil is one of the more environmentally friendly ways to achieve this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness