Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 10:46 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am looking at patterns of increases. I'm not picking some random data point at all.
It's not really a pattern. Look at the waves of previous surges RIGHT before, those all contribute to the deaths. We had 3 waves pretty much right after another. Right now we are coming out of longer period of low cases. That affects the death numbers. Dying isn't always fast.

Ugh. Scratch my ref to the death rate on WOM, that wouldn't pertain to the subject. My bad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 10:47 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Because I can easily look up other surges in positive cases and hospitalizations and compare the death rates then and the rates are lower now. Seems to me that the virus is becoming more contagious and less lethal, as most viruses tend to do over time.
-can't rep you again yet....You got it right.

The only data I've seen is the initial report from GB about death rate vs Delta var--The initial death rate (for alpha var) was 1.9%--same as here in the US. Now the Death Rate for delta is only 0.1%.

Factors involved include changes in virulence of the bug, changes in immune status of hosts (like from the vax, for instance), and improved treatment. Treament hasn't gotten that much better, and most new infections seem to be in the unvaccinated, so the virulence factor would have to be the dominant one.

The population dynamics of an epidemic follow the same mathematical course as a car with a bad shock absorber (a system of under-damped forced oscillation for you physics buffs)-- Push down on the corner of a car with a bad shock and the car bobs up and down 3 or four times , each bob a little less than the previous one, until it comes to rest at equilibrium again.----That's EXACTLY what we're seeing with the CoV numbers-- a series of gradualy diminishing waves.

The present new "wave" was to be expected...Maybe even another one or two-- we can't predict because we don;t have accurate info to deterermine the values of constants in the math equation....Equilibrium will be establsihed when the bug causes a low but constant rate of new infections-- ie- it's no longer epidemic, but endemic....Keep in mind that SmallPox was the only bug ever wiped out completely-- and that took 50 yrs of hard work.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's not really a pattern. Look at the waves of previous surges RIGHT before, those all contribute to the deaths. We had 3 waves pretty much right after another. Right now we are coming out of longer period of low cases. That affects the death numbers. Dying isn't always fast.
There wasn't a big surge nationwide before the huge surge in November. In fact, in mid September 2020 we dropped to where we were in mid July of this year.

It definitely IS a pattern - it's very easy to see.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

The only data I've seen is the initial report from GB about death rate vs Delta var--The initial death rate (for alpha var) was 1.9%--same as here in the US. Now the Death Rate for delta is only 0.1%.

Factors involved include changes in virulence of the bug, changes in immune status of hosts (like from the vax, for instance), and improved treatment. Treament hasn't gotten that much better, and most new infections seem to be in the unvaccinated, so the virulence factor would have to be the dominant one.

The population dynamics of an epidemic follow the same mathematical course as a car with a bad shock absorber (a system of under-damped forced oscillation for you physics buffs)-- Push down on the corner of a car with a bad shock and the car bobs up and down 3 or four times , each bob a little less than the previous one, until it comes to rest at equilibrium again.----That's EXACTLY what we're seeing with the CoV numbers-- a series of gradualy diminishing waves.

The present new "wave" was to be expected...Maybe even another one or two-- we can't predict because we don;t have accurate info to deterermine the values of constants in the math equation....Equilibrium will be establsihed when the bug causes a low but constant rate of new infections-- ie- it's no longer epidemic, but endemic....Keep in mind that SmallPox was the only bug ever wiped out completely-- and that took 50 yrs of hard work.

Link please?

Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Thanks for the breakdown and examples! I bolded the most critical element of what you're saying in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Link please?
Here are some interesting links:
https://asm.org/Articles/2021/July/H...iant-B-1-617-2

Quote:
A greater number of COVID-19 relevant comorbidities increased the risk of COVID-19 hospital admission (appendix p 3).
Quote:
Among S gene-negative cases, the effect of vaccination (at least 28 days after first or second dose) was to reduce the risk of hospital admission (HR 0·28, 95% CI 0·18–0·43) compared to unvaccinated.
Quote:
Considering the whole population cohort (rather than just hospital cases), the test-negative analysis to estimate vaccine effectiveness in preventing RT-PCR-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection showed that, compared to those unvaccinated, at least 14 days after the second dose, BNT162b2 (Pfizer–BioNTech vaccine) offered very good protection: 92% (95% CI 90–93) S gene-negative, 79% (75–82) S gene-positive.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...358-1/fulltext

I think this is interesting as well, though it has nothing to do with the information out of Great Britain:
Quote:
Fully vaccinated people with Delta variant breakthrough infections can spread the virus to others. However, vaccinated people appear to be infectious for a shorter period: Previous variants typically produced less virus in the body of infected fully vaccinated people (breakthrough infections) than in unvaccinated people. In contrast, the Delta variant seems to produce the same high amount of virus in both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated people. However, like other variants, the amount of virus produced by Delta breakthrough infections in fully vaccinated people also goes down faster than infections in unvaccinated people. This means fully vaccinated people are likely infectious for less time than unvaccinated people.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...a-variant.html

Old 08-07-2021, 11:21 AM

Ok, that is changing the conversation.

Your links are saying that Delta is probably more dangerous.

Among the unvaccinated.

Which I agree with.

We know the largest percentage of current hospitalizations are among the unvaccinated.

So is this conversation about just mutations...... and just the vaccinated?

I could have missed that in the beginning.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:23 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Lose weight, take supplements, go outside in the sun for at least half an hour daily, exercise even if it's a brisk walk, wash your hands, don't touch your face, get plenty of sleep, stay hydrated. You won't get colds, flu or covid. If you are still worried, keep a supply of HCQ or Ivermectin on hand.

People get addicted to drama and fear. That adrenaline rush makes them feel alive.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

People get addicted to drama and fear. That adrenaline rush makes them feel alive.
Not the 632,000 who are dead.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:36 PM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You still need to do the safety and effectiveness testing. You can't jab 300 million people with an untested vaccine. The process needs to be streamlined and improved. It's not like we don't know how to jab 20,000 people for a clinical trial in a couple of days and test them weekly to get efficacy data.
The variants won't wait that long while bureaucrats shuffle paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness