Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 03:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,639,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The only thing that reverses heart disease is diet. Absolutely not one medication reverses heart disease.

That is a very big driver for me.

I was a vegetarian for almost twenty years and went vegan in 2019. It was easy.
Some will argue its not the animal fat in the diet that causes heart disease, its the excess carbs most modern urban diets include. And yes you can eat low carb as a vegetarian, its far more difficult as a vegetarian than as a meat eating omnivore.

I ended grain and bean consumption to deal with my T2 diabetes. seriously much easier than trying to count carbs and limit quantities of high carb foods to thimble size portions. I had been vegetarian my entire adult life, but very grain and potato heavy kind of diet, meaning a high carb diet. Substituted high fat seeds like flax, chia, sunflower seeds, sesame, etc. Worked for me. And greatly increased consumption of low carb raw produce. My body doesnt do well with meat, nor dairy in any significant quantity, but have greatly increased egg consumption cause to make "bread" out of oily seed meal rather than flour from grain, you need a binder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 05:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 4,224,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
The term for "vegetarians" that eat fish is pescatarian. And no a pescatarian is not a vegetarian, they eat fish... duh. But they dont eat red meat or poultry.

Oh and there are what are called "fruitarians", vegans that eat only flesh of fruits which includes lot things besides what most people think of fruit. If it has seed inside then they dont eat the seed, just the flesh of the fruit. The part that the plant is offering animals to entice them to help spread the seed.

There is the media depiction of the air-head blond (usually a teen or early 20s ) that self describes as vegetarian but eats hamburgers and other fast food containing animal products and uses leather. Those are usually the six month to two year kind of vegetarian where its their Bambi phase.... Maybe best described as the Bambi vegetarian.

Ovo, Lacto-ovo, fishy-ovo, pescatario-vegio, I don't care. Vegan is the only thing that really means anything. Everything else is just a human with some dietary preferences.

I don't eat pate fois gras, snails or worms, do we need a term for me?

Old 08-12-2021, 04:50 AM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
I've been vegan for 7 years and take one B12 supplement weekly - that's it, in addition to a balanced whole food diet. I don't know which micronutrients you are referring to, but like I said my doctor is very thorough in ordering my bloodwork because he knows I am vegan and I've never shown any deficiencies.
In general, plant-based micronutrient are not as easily absorbed and utilized by the human-body, when
compared to animal-based micronutrients.

So, the possibility of developing nutritional-deficiencies is higher in people eating a plant-based diet.
Also, certain vitamins in a vegan diet supply inferior forms of the vitamins they do supply, such as
beta-carotene, a Vitamin-A precursor.

Old 08-12-2021, 05:10 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,639,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ovo, Lacto-ovo, fishy-ovo, pescatario-vegio, I don't care. Vegan is the only thing that really means anything. Everything else is just a human with some dietary preferences.

I don't eat pate fois gras, snails or worms, do we need a term for me?
Sure why not? Course more interesting if you only ate pate fois gras, snails, and worms. Escargotinarian? LOL

Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 PM

14,263 posts, read 11,578,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Sure why not? Course more interesting if you only ate pate fois gras, snails, and worms. Escargotinarian? LOL
Snails have faces. Does a worm have a face?

Old 08-12-2021, 01:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,078,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
I've been a vegetarian for the past 48 years, six of those years being vegan. I am really pissed that the media, and it seems everyone thinks there is either vegan or non vegan when it comes to non meat eating alternatives. Why aren't people talking about vegetarianism?

It's really hard to be a vegan while being a vegetarian, with the introduction of cheese makes eating a lot easier. I still don't drink milk or have ice cream, but pizza rocks.

So I would hope that people can consider the alternative of being vegan or a meat eater. Personally, my thing is that I don't, or won't eat anything that has or had a face.
How long have you been really pissed about people not understanding your dietary needs? And why?

Old 08-12-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

Some look like they do. if it looks like a face, it must be. Bon appetit!

Old 08-12-2021, 04:45 PM

10,865 posts, read 7,293,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Another worm probably thinks so.

I've known a number of people who claimed to be vegetarians but ate meat or fish under certain circumstances. For instance, one friend didn't buy meat, but would eat it if somebody else paid for it, like at a potluck or dinner party.
I think these people give others a bad idea about all vegetarians.

Last edited by steiconi; 08-12-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-12-2021, 04:50 PM

1,434 posts, read 727,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
Yes, vegans can definitely be perfectly healthy. I have a nutritionist who designed my vegan food plan and my doctor monitors my labs regularly - all are in a great range and show me to be in perfect health. Protein levels, B12 levels, vitamin D levels, no anemia, etc, etc. The vegans who are not healthy are the ones who eat a vegan junk food diet - packaged fake meats, vegan baked goods, fake cheese, etc. If you eat real whole plant based foods and supplement as necessary it works beautifully.
you mean plant based foods that actually taste good with a good texture as in not mushy when you chew it?

Old 08-12-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Another worm probably thinks so.

I've known a number of people who claimed to be vegetarians but ate meat or fish under certain circumstances. For instance, one friend didn't buy meat, but would eat it if somebody else paid for it, like at a potluck or dinner party.
I think these people give others a bad idea about all vegetarians.

You just described every vegetarian I've ever met in my entire life. I don't see a need for the term, personally. You're either vegan or you're one of us.

Bwahahahahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness