Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 09:48 AM

3,123 posts, read 2,068,179 times

Advertisements

Medical schools are now teaching the next generation of doctors the importance of food in health.

The first culinary medicine center in a US medical school opened at Tulane in 2013. Other schools have followed.

"Culinary medicine is a new evidence-based field in medicine that blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Culinary medicine is aimed at helping people reach good personal medical decisions about accessing and eating high-quality meals that help prevent and treat disease and restore well-being."

"As food is condition-specific, the same diet does not work for everyone. Different clinical conditions require different meals, foods, and beverages."

"Some eating patterns have been found to be as or more effective than prescription medication for some conditions. ... For many patients, nutritious food is medicine."

More: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739343/

Delicious and nutritious foods have been my medicine for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 12:55 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
it's an elective

Old 06-12-2021, 01:18 PM

7,124 posts, read 12,665,237 times
That's good news!

Hippocrates, the so-called father of medicine said back in his day, "“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” .

Took us a few years to heed his advice, eh? And we've a long way to go, but it's a start....

And it's good advice.

Just look in people's shopping carts at the grocery store to sleuth out if they're healthy. Most obese
people have similar items in their carts--lots of snacks such as chips and cookies, soda, packaged goods, frozen pizzas, etc. with very few fresh vegetables or whole foods.

We are what we eat.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:19 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,473 times
Of course, this idea of food as medicine has been the mainstay in Chinese and Indian cooking for thousands of years. It is why the Indians use so many different spices in their cooking. Each one supposedly has a unique health benefit.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:35 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Of course, this idea of food as medicine has been the mainstay in Chinese and Indian cooking for thousands of years. It is why the Indians use so many different spices in their cooking. Each one supposedly has a unique health benefit.
I would love to know more about that. Anyway, this has been a long time coming and I hope it's not just a passing fad because we need this. Way back in the late 1970s they were saying drs were now going to be trained in nutrition. Ha!

I especially like the idea of knowing what to eat to benefit which particular condition. Hope this does go mainstream.

Even our grandmothers knew more about how to help specific ailments with food than the usual MD of today. Ginger for upset stomach, honey for sore throat, and they seemed to know which foods would build you back up if you had been sick. People with rheumatoid arthritis were told to avoid the nightshade family of vegetables (potato, tomato, eggplant) and it often worked--sometimes it was some other food that they had to avoid but I think most rheumatoid arthritis can be cured by avoidance. Just hope they're looking into that instead of allowing people to suffer and simply prescribing medicine.

Old 06-12-2021, 01:38 PM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Medical schools are now teaching the next generation of doctors the importance of food in health.

The first culinary medicine center in a US medical school opened at Tulane in 2013. Other schools have followed.

"Culinary medicine is a new evidence-based field in medicine that blends the art of food and cooking with the science of medicine. Culinary medicine is aimed at helping people reach good personal medical decisions about accessing and eating high-quality meals that help prevent and treat disease and restore well-being."

"As food is condition-specific, the same diet does not work for everyone. Different clinical conditions require different meals, foods, and beverages."

"Some eating patterns have been found to be as or more effective than prescription medication for some conditions. ... For many patients, nutritious food is medicine."

More: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4739343/

Delicious and nutritious foods have been my medicine for years.
Poor quality science because you can't put people in a cage in order to control their food intake for 20 years. One is left to accept the word of somebody what and how much they eat and then make inferences as to its impact on disease.

These are not well controlled experiments that we are talking about but rather retrospective survey studies that lack specificity even while talking about foods as not all fish is equal and not all vegetables are equal and not all meats are equal. The extrapolations of such studies will always be suspect.

It reminds me of some doctors who are treating cancer with "whole foods", whatever that means", but when faced with controlled random studies have patients losing appetite and then succumbing to cancer. They excuse they give is that the person was unable to eat the foods thus that is why they died.

The common excuse given for failures in studies are that one did not use the correct product or food form or one did not use the right concentration or amount of food.

The only clear success with regards to nutrition and medicine are the well known conditions of food avoidance to diseases that have been well defined and mechanisms worked out. There's also some limited success with certain preventions such as with heart disease but as far as treating disease other than weight disorders is really lacking.

The common complaint is that doctors only get one day of nutritional education or whatever the allegation is implying to be a staggering lack of education. Although more is getting to known each day about nutrition there still is a large void of clinical science out there. The last thing you want is to fill the gaps with imagery generated hype and over stating the effects. Advocates tend to cherry pick studies and assume prove. Speaking of cherries do they prevent gout? You have to question studies when one reads "Recommended serving sizes are uncertain. Some studies recommend ½ cup of fresh cherries or 1 cup of unsweetened cherry juice per day. Supplements containing extract typically have suggested servings on the labels." How can you not know how much is recommended if studies were done? A new drug was released today by the FDA but the recommended dose is unknown. Never fly.

If you want to make food a drug then by all means specific the exact active ingredient and form. Don't tell me to take probiotics when you don't care to state the exact bacteria. Don't tell me to take them without telling me how much to take. Don't tell me it will take months to years before you will see results.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
Food as medicine has been the mainstay in every indigenious population around the world for most of human history. We have an advantage that didn't exist in the past, and that is combining science with it. Granted, we could have done it much sooner.

It's good to see modern medicine starting to circle back to basics, and also recognizing that one pattern of eating doesn't fit everyone. It took many frustrating decades of research findings showing that chronic illnesses are related to diet/lifestyle factors.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I would love to know more about that. Anyway, this has been a long time coming and I hope it's not just a passing fad because we need this. Way back in the late 1970s they were saying drs were now going to be trained in nutrition. Ha!

I especially like the idea of knowing what to eat to benefit which particular condition. Hope this does go mainstream.

Even our grandmothers knew more about how to help specific ailments with food than the usual MD of today. Ginger for upset stomach, honey for sore throat, and they seemed to know which foods would build you back up if you had been sick. People with rheumatoid arthritis were told to avoid the nightshade family of vegetables (potato, tomato, eggplant) and it often worked--sometimes it was some other food that they had to avoid but I think most rheumatoid arthritis can be cured by avoidance. Just hope they're looking into that instead of allowing people to suffer and simply prescribing medicine.
It should help when more doctors are better equipped to advise their patients. I think so many people just don't know where to start and/or don't have the time to study nutrition or to experiment with foods. At least that is what I hear most often.

I experimented with foods on my own and it has worked extremely well. I know very well the difference it can make.

Old 06-12-2021, 05:47 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It should help when more doctors are better equipped to advise their patients. I think so many people just don't know where to start and/or don't have the time to study nutrition or to experiment with foods. At least that is what I hear most often.

I experimented with foods on my own and it has worked extremely well. I know very well the difference it can make.

"Culinary medicine is not nutrition, dietetics, or preventive, integrative, or internal medicine,..."

Old 06-12-2021, 06:14 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
All the crap food on the grocery store shelves and fast-food menus has led to an epidemic of obesity, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and high BP. A few years ago, life actuaries were telling me that the improvements in longevity that they saw every time they updated mortality tables were leveling off because of bad eating habits and sedentary lifestyles. According to a Freakonomics podcast, the cost of dialysis (mostly to treat end-stage renal failure from Type 2 diabetes) is 1% of our GDP. Not 1% of our healthcare costs, but our GDP.

Doesn't it stand to reason that reversing some of the changes in eating habits over the last few decades could reverse these problems? I watched a dear friend who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes after he suffered a stroke (yeah, he had high BP, too) change to a keto diet, lose weight (he was teddy-bear shaped), get his BP down and now he's almost completely off Metformin, with the agreement of his doctor. Read Dr. Robert Lustig's book "Fat Chance" about how unhealthy eating leads to metabolic syndrome, which is a risk factor for a lot of bad health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Just look in people's shopping carts at the grocery store to sleuth out if they're healthy. Most obese
people have similar items in their carts--lots of snacks such as chips and cookies, soda, packaged goods, frozen pizzas, etc. with very few fresh vegetables or whole foods.

We are what we eat.
Yep. In my neck of the woods it's 7-Up and Little Debbie snack cakes. But, those types of food are cheap (on sale more often than fresh produce), don't spoil and need no preparation. It's hard for docs to get most people to change their habits, especially when the patients know that all their friends are on pills to "solve" those problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness