Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,509 times

Advertisements

My family and I tried the only raw food diet for a while when I was a teen.

I ate about 70% raw when I was in college and I exercised a lot then also.
I felt the best I ever have and I really need to go back to some of my good habits again. When I married my husband I fell back into bad habits and after my first pregnancy my metabolism has been a lot slower. Now my hormones are out of whack and I am overweight and trying to get back to my more raw food lifestyle as well as exercise again... anyways..

Not sure if you have done much consideration about your blood type. That will be a big factor. I would guess you are probably an O blood type of some sort? I am O- and my blood type requires high protein and lower carbs. I could never go 100% raw, because my body would crave protein and I would go from feeling great on 70% raw to feeling hungry and sluggish if I tried to go 100% raw...

Now I forget what blood type it is, but there is a blood types out there that thrive on 100% raw foods and smaller amounts of protein. In fact I have a friend on another forum that says she has always eaten predominately raw food and it just came natural it is what made her body feel great, and I asked her her blood type and it turned out she had the blood type that thrived on mostly veggies. It fascinated us both when I found this out for her.

I know for myself and many others, that I feel the best when I eat according to my blood type.

The stinky thing is my blood type does not do well with simple carbs at all, and I love bread and pasta but my body doesn't love it so well. Veggies aka complex carbs does well in moderation for my blood type, hence the reason I can't go 100% raw.

My husband's blood type which is AB and my daughter's B+ they eat completely different than I do. Their blood type does not do well with large amounts of food all at once, they eat like birds (small meals) and snacks through out the day. They are not predominate "Protein eaters" or "Raw food eaters" balance is key for this blood type. Their blood type often struggles with immunity though. Where my blood type O- has a very strong immunity.

Anyways my blood type explanation is probably really vague and basic. Hopefully I make sense... but it is definitely worth the read doing a google search about it. Type in the search " Blood type diet "

Best of luck to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:34 PM

I forgot to mention, even though my blood type doesn't do so hot on too many simple carbs, moderate amounts of whole grains are definitely beneficial. Especially things like Flax seed ect...

Old 05-16-2008, 02:46 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Keeping at 90% raw is still pretty good!
90%. That's excellent! Good for you.

Something I find easy to make and healthy, are smoothies.

If you freeze your fruit first, the smoothie stays icy and doesn't get 'thick' as it does with fresh, especially bananas. Prefer vanilla soy to milk, as it seems to keep the smoothie thinner also, and plain yogurt.

So frozen banana, (or half) frozen blackberries, blueberries, what have you .. frozen kiwis, yogurt, soy milk .. *pack as much fruit in as you can until you need a spoon to eat it .. yum!

Easier to peel the fruit before freezing.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:14 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
I don't know if you're into it but both Chinese medicine (TCM) and Ayruveda (from India) are ancient approaches to medicine (through herbs and foods), and healing. They both, though coming up with their systems separately, do not give a "one size fits all" approach like is so often the case in the US, as we are full of extremes.

So, they take a careful look and analysis at what sort of "constitution" you have, based on many physical and personality traits and then you fall into different categories. For one person, leaning toward raw foods might be advisable whereas for another type, it would be the worst thing they could do for their body.

I highly recommend looking at a few books on one of the disciplines--it's not some idea that's been around for 100 years--it's been around for thousands and makes a ton of sense. That would be my personal starting point.

Some foods are considered "warming" and others "cooling", and how they are prepared matters as well. Depending on your own body, one would be great for some and bad for others.

A huge thing in Ayurveda is eating FRESH (well, in TCM too). That means no preservatives, no chemicals, no microwaving things, no pre-packaged foods, etc. You cook it (or not) and eat it on the day prepared. Work on the correct sizes when you cook so that you on't have leftovers, but can eat fresh every day.

I think if you're gaining weight back on cooked food, then you probably aren't eating really healthy food. If you cook up a fresh vegetable stirfry with chicken for example, you just aren't going to gain weight on that. I think it's what you're cooking, not that it is cooked food.

I would never do a raw food diet--my constitution in both Aryuveda and TCM says that would be terrible for me, and it does not appeal to me at all. I think if you listen to your body, it will tell you what you need. I eat locally grown, seasonal, organic foods and cook them in very healthy ways. I can easily find some broiled fish or something on a menu, and don't mind indulging once in a while at a party (although I don't like heavy foods, so don't eat them much). Just eat healthy--whether raw or not. And check out Aryurveda or TCM--they might be of interest.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
My family and I tried the only raw food diet for a while when I was a teen.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Kristy! (I'm considering a move to Sheridan in about a year, actually!)

I'm A+ in blood type. I don't know what that means food-wise, but I do believe that everyone is intuitive about their own bodies and can figure out for themselves what's working and what isn't. It didn't take me long to figure out quantities and types of food that work for me. Sadly, I can't eat but a few nuts at one time because they give me heartburn, although I can't figure out why. I have loads of raw nuts in the house, but I use them to make milk.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
90%. That's excellent! Good for you.

Something I find easy to make and healthy, are smoothies.

If you freeze your fruit first, the smoothie stays icy and doesn't get 'thick' as it does with fresh, especially bananas. Prefer vanilla soy to milk, as it seems to keep the smoothie thinner also, and plain yogurt.

So frozen banana, (or half) frozen blackberries, blueberries, what have you .. frozen kiwis, yogurt, soy milk .. *pack as much fruit in as you can until you need a spoon to eat it .. yum!

Easier to peel the fruit before freezing.
I'm a smoothie addict. I tend to drink more than I eat and smoothies are the best of both worlds to me. I use homemade nut milks instead of soy milk because there isn't a single source of soy that isn't genetically modified. Can you believe it? No more natural soy in the world?

I use a minimal amount of liquids in my smoothies. It's mostly just pure fruits and veggies. The smoothie habit isn't a cheap one though! Uff-da!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
I don't know if you're into it but both Chinese medicine (TCM) and Ayruveda (from India) are ancient approaches to medicine (through herbs and foods), and healing. They both, though coming up with their systems separately, do not give a "one size fits all" approach like is so often the case in the US, as we are full of extremes.
I explored this path, too. I know people who are using Ayurvedic Practices. Ayurveda doesn't support or suggest the raw foods lifestyle for anyone. Some practitioners can get very snooty about that, but many will support you in your decisions and let you know if it's harming your body in any way.

As for western medicine, forget it! I avoid doctors like the plague. People don't understand what actually goes into an immunization shot and yet they willingly allow them to be given to them. In Minneapolis, there are only two ayurvedic practitioners: one guy is a self-important jerk and the woman is too pushy with her views.

For me, eating more God-made food than man-made food is my goal. I want to honor God with my food choices. I'm not trying to "be" a raw foodist or assimilate into any other classification. I'm just trying to do what's best for me.

The weight gain stopped. The reason for the weight gain was from going from 100% raw to eating regular cooked foods again. For me, it's just the expense of going raw and organic that's disheartening. Especially in today's economy!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Kristy! (I'm considering a move to Sheridan in about a year, actually!)

I'm A+ in blood type. I don't know what that means food-wise, but I do believe that everyone is intuitive about their own bodies and can figure out for themselves what's working and what isn't. It didn't take me long to figure out quantities and types of food that work for me. Sadly, I can't eat but a few nuts at one time because they give me heartburn, although I can't figure out why. I have loads of raw nuts in the house, but I use them to make milk.
You are very welcome

If I remember right you are in the same or similar category as my husband and daughter. I will research it for you and see what I find...
I think with your blood type your stomach can only handle smaller quantities at a time...
I thought I recognized your screen name from the Wyoming forum
Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness