Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 11:33 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
I first met my coworker a decade ago when we were both 40. I understand that with my hormones and thyroid issues I cannot compare myself to him in any way. In the first 9 years, I witnessed how much energy he always had (he claimed to be that way at home too) so I was reading this article and the only factor that was 100% true about him was the standing up part. During those years he slept maybe 5 hours a night; he drank a lot of coffee; he drank water but not 8 glasses worth while at work; he didn't take breaks; his only exercise was an elliptical a few nights a week; he ate peanut butter on tortillas every day for lunch for years - is that "the right" food??

https://www.thehealthy.com/fatigue/h...lot-of-energy/

In the past year, his personal life has changed and he is now sleeping 8 hours a night - he says that pretty much as soon as he lays down, he falls asleep. He still has incredible energy all day long, always willing to help anyone with anything, never takes naps, is alert and aware of everything constantly. I've just never known someone like this especially at age 50 (almost 51 now). He does have sleep apnea. He was never in the military (I thought that might explain the falling asleep quickly). I'm guessing this is just a personality type? I would love to know or understand where all this energy comes from.

If there is anything important I didn't mention please let me know.
I am 65. I have never taken naps. I work out every day for my lunch hour. I drink about 64 oz of water a day. Until a year ago, I ran 3 miles nearly every day (hip issues which are now resolved).

50 years old is relatively young. When I was that age I ran half-marathons. I would not understand a 50 year old being low on energy unless there were some medical issues going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 11:53 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I don't think I have high energy. But I'm 65, my wife and I walk 2 or 3 miles every day, depending on weather. We swim 20 laps, M-F in a 25 meter pool (about 1/2 mile). We try to make actual hikes of a couple miles about once a week when it's not too hot. I very rarely take naps, but I like my 9 hours. Early to bed early to rise...

I can't get up and down as easily anymore, so I avoid doing floor tile or crawling under cars if I can. My scuba diving and rock climbing days are behind me. But I can still out work any 25 year old gamer I've encountered.

45 years ago I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes as a paratrooper in the Army. That may be part of it. Paratroopers aren't like regular people, we are qualified and capable of doing... anything. We are experts on... everything. If things suck we suck it up and drive on. I believe mindset is a lot of it.

And we eat well. Fresh fish, chicken, veggies, fruit, soy, oats and chocolate chip cookies. And MRE's... Yum yum!

Old 08-14-2021, 06:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I think some people do have more energy than others. I guess I’m about average; I wake up kind of tired, but within 30 minutes or so I have energy. I don’t sleep as well as I should, and definitely feel beat by the end of the day often.

My dad, on the other hand, had incredible energy. He just never quit. He rose early and stayed busy usually until late at night. Seems that he could seldom just relax.

People have different rhythms, so to speak.

Old 08-14-2021, 08:56 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
I used to take naps after work when I was in my 20s and 30s. I'm also a lifelong insomniac, and never tried to get treatment for it until I was in my 40s. Now that I'm appropriately treated for the insomniac, I no longer need to nap during the day. I get between 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Medicated, but it's better than not sleeping.

I have plenty of energy, I can still enjoy a night out dancing, spend an hour or two riding my bicycle every week, walk to our postal station and back (around 1.5 miles) even if it's 90° with 70% humidity, and have energy left over at the end of the week to weed my garden, the beds under the eaves of the house, and the neighbor's garden (while she's out of the country for the season).

I'm 60.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Off-topic, but what was your successful treatment for insomnia, if I may ask?

Old 08-15-2021, 08:31 AM

532 posts, read 1,465,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
anxiety
True anxiety will make you very tired.
Also when the stress and worry leave it takes time for the symptoms of anxiety to fade.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:48 AM

1,465 posts, read 622,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Fifty isn't old.
Yeah it is.

Just not THAT old.

It certainly isn't young.

Old 08-15-2021, 01:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Yeah it is.

Just not THAT old.

It certainly isn't young.
It's well before most people retire. People can look very good and feel very good and be very healthy at aged 50. I'd call it middle aged. I sure wouldn't call it old. Unless I was twelve. Then everyone over 18 seems old.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:11 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Not me, I am well in to my fifties and feel not a day under eighty.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:17 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
The man's energy level doesn't seem unusual to me, judging from your description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness