Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 11:00 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

We bought the BinaxNOW tests after a possible exposure. Wife and I are fully Pfizered. Kids are not old enough. youngest tested positive twice so we are quite certain he has it, but is asymptomatic, the rest of us are negative.

Very easy to use and $12 a test. 2 pack is $24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
We bought the BinaxNOW tests after a possible exposure. Wife and I are fully Pfizered. Kids are not old enough. youngest tested positive twice so we are quite certain he has it, but is asymptomatic, the rest of us are negative.

Very easy to use and $12 a test. 2 pack is $24.
Just watch for secondary infection kids can develop from even mild/asymptomatic cases of CoVid
Can be very serious and show up couple weeks after

Old 08-20-2021, 09:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I ordered BinoxNow tests from WalMart but my grandson’s ISD here in Fl will only accept results from Ellume test
About twice expensive and takes longer
Read 1 person’s report (not medical/science based) that gave Ellume fewest mistakes on positive and negative results…meaning most accurate both ways
So hope it is worth it

Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 PM

158 posts, read 156,572 times
Some people have been looking for proof of the V, which would be needed for a home test
https://www.bitchute.com/video/ttI8xvoJx19B/

Old 08-22-2021, 09:54 PM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiecd View Post
Some people have been looking for proof of the V, which would be needed for a home test
https://www.bitchute.com/video/ttI8xvoJx19B/
LOL some people?

Procedure on how to culture COVID.

"Nasopharyngeal samples were collected with flocked swabs in universal transport medium (Copan Diagnostics, Brescia, Italy). A previously published rRT-PCR protocol for detecting the E gene [3] was adapted for processing on the Panther Fusion Hologic (San Diego, CA, USA) automated molecular diagnostic platform, using its open access functionality [11]. The Ct value obtained in this assay was employed as a measure of relative quantification throughout the study.

For the cell culture, an aliquot (250 μL) of the residual sample was decontaminated using gentamicin and amphotericin B, inoculated into 24-well plates on Vero E6 cells (ATCC CCL-81) and cultured in Medium 199 supplemented with L-glutamine and 10% foetal bovine serum. The plates were incubated in a 5% carbon dioxide atmosphere for 5 days. The development of a cytopathic effect (CPE) was examined daily. SARS-CoV-2 CPE specificity was confirmed by immunofluorescence (shell-vial technique) by using a commercial anti-SARS-CoV-2 N protein (Rockland Immunochemicals, Inc., Limerick, PA, USA) as the primary antibody and a goat anti-rabbit IgG labelled with Alexafluor 488 (Abcam, Cambridge, UK) as the secondary antibody. Upon CPE observation and at the end of the cell culture incubation period, culture supernatants were collected from each well and an rRT-PCR was performed, which was confirmed positive if it was at least 3 Ct lower than the original sample. All cell culture-related procedures were performed at a biosafety level 3 facility."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7898982/

The cell line is kidney I believe

"Vero 76 (ATCC No. CRL-1587)
Isolated from Vero in 1968, it grows to a lower saturation density (cells per unit area) than the original Vero. It is useful for detecting and counting hemorrhagic fever viruses by plaque assays.
Vero E6, also known as Vero C1008 (ATCC No. CRL-1586)
This line is a clone from Vero 76. Vero E6 cells show some contact inhibition, so are suitable for propagating viruses that replicate slowly."

Briefly what one does is take a sample of respiratory secretions and a swab and puts it in pink viral transport media cone tube. One take aliquots of the liquid and antibiotics are added to kill off bacteria and fungi and hopefully all that is left is any viruses. One then takes this treated sample and puts a little into a cell culture which is a monolayer of cells and in this case kidney cells. The tricky part is to select the proper cell lines because not all viruses infect all cells. In this case that cell line was good for COVID and hemorrhagic fever viruses which is something you don't really want to do without a biosafety level 3 setup. Biosafety level 4 is for extraterrestrial samples and very bad bugs. One checks every day with an inverted microscope the bottom of a flat bottom bottle flask for cellular disruption and destruction called the cytopathic effect. The virus was identified with the use of antibodies that react to the virus and a positive will give immunofluorescence. They also did a PCR on the culture to confirm COVID.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:18 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I haven't felt sick enough to ever suspect I had Covid19 so I've had no need to test. I needed one to go back to the office and it was done at a clinic but that's the only one I've ever done.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:00 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
I'm not going to buy a home test as long as our state continues to offer free testing (SC). I'm a bit shocked that other states aren't doing the same. I just drive over to the health department office in our county, pull around back, the techs do the nasal swirls (not shoves) and I get results the next morning. No appointment required, but if you sign up online ahead of time, you save a few minutes.

With so many vaccinated people spreading the virus, I wish testing was more convenient and encouraged in other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness