Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 01:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,383,354 times

Advertisements

I am losing vision fairly rapidly (over the course of weeks) in one eye and my optometrist is 100% without a clue. Everything about my eye looked great on all the tests. (In fact, he more or less accused me of malingering on the eye exam: “What do you mean you can’t see anything on the chart!?!?!” Yes, you can!” Um no. I couldn’t. )

The vision in this eye was at 20/25 with my current lenses back in a July when I saw my retinal surgeon for a six-month checkup in July. (I had macular hole repair surgery in early February). In fact, in mid-July, my operated eye was better than my other eye. It was also like this at my three-month check-up. At my last check-up (the one in mid-July), he said that my eyesight was stable enough for me to go ahead and get new lenses. He said he saw the beginnings of a cataract forming, but that it would take months for me to notice it.

Anyway, my vision in the operated eye has been at 20/25 with my current lenses for quite a few months. But today, he could barely get it to 20/40 with any lenses at all.

Almost immediately after my July eye appointment (like on the way home), I noticed that my operated eye was much blurrier than the left. But my eyes were still dilated so I didn’t think too much of it. Six hours later, my operated eye was still blurrier than the other, but still I thought it would eventually improved. A week later, I thought of it again … and it was still way blurrier than the other.

At this point, I just assumed that it was the cataracts that were developing rapidly (it definitely can happen after retinal surgery, in fact some people’s cataracts develop over the course of a few weeks). However, today, my optometrist said it was definitely not a cataract. He simply had no explanation.

I have an emergency appointment with my retinal surgeon soon, but I am not hopeful. I am thinking I will get more shoulder shrugging, “everything looks great on the scans” and “are you really trying?” on the vision test.

Feeling stressed out and not sure what to do or what to think …
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 03:45 PM

2,265 posts, read 4,098,332 times
Hopefully your surgeon will have answers for you. I know it is difficult, but try not to stress yourself out before your appointment. I hope everything works out for you.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:54 PM

61,170 posts, read 85,998,837 times
Maybe you should get CT or MR scan. Who knows , maybe something is compressing your optic nerve, or orbital tumor
is growing in your brain.
While it may be scary to bring up this topic, bear in mind that there could be a simple reason behind the vision problems, as brain tumors are relatively rare.
However, I would think that an eye doctor should be able to detect problems with the optic nerve.
Another cause could be rapidly progressive macular degeneration.

Last edited by elnina; 08-17-2021 at 04:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe you should get CT or MR scan. Who knows , maybe something is compressing your optic nerve, or orbital tumor
is growing in your brain.
While it may be scary to bring up this topic, bear in mind that there could be a simple reason behind the vision problems, as brain tumors are relatively rare.
However, I would think that an eye doctor should be able to detect problems with the optic nerve.
Another cause could be rapidly progressive macular degeneration.
Right, but wouldn’t any optical nerve problems result in a loss of field of vision or blind spots not overall blurriness. Wouldn’t this be more of a problem with the cornea?

Old 08-17-2021, 04:35 PM

7,207 posts, read 4,473,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Right, but wouldn’t any optical nerve problems result in a loss of field of vision or blind spots not overall blurriness. Wouldn’t this be more of a problem with the cornea?
Vaccine.

Old 08-17-2021, 04:46 PM

15,989 posts, read 10,550,537 times
If you live near a major university with a good med school see if they have an eye clinic. You might need a referral. My opthalmologist was worried about my optic nerves and sent me there. It was helpful and they resolved the question. (Turned out to be a genetic anomoly. My daughter also has it.)

Old 08-17-2021, 06:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I had an emergency visit with my excellent retinal surgeon today. And, guess what? My optometrist misdiagnosed me. I do indeed have a cataract in that eye (“stage 3”). What a relief! Pretty sure I’m going to “fire” my current optometrist though. Not only did he get it wrong, but he was pretty rude to me in the process.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:45 PM

17,609 posts, read 22,528,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Thanks everyone. I had an emergency visit with my excellent retinal surgeon today. And, guess what? My optometrist misdiagnosed me. I do indeed have a cataract in that eye (“stage 3”). What a relief! Pretty sure I’m going to “fire” my current optometrist though. Not only did he get it wrong, but he was pretty rude to me in the process.
I had a feeling you might have a bad cataract. I'm very glad you found out. What a relief.

Are Ophthalmologists doing cataract surgeries NOW during the COVID-19 virus/ Delta Variant ?
I have a cataract in my right eye which is getting worse/blurry.

I'm praying you get your sight back to normal very soon.

Old 08-17-2021, 06:51 PM

18,793 posts, read 27,231,162 times
I had cataracts in both eyes and it took YEARS to get to a point when I said let’s do it.
Such a rapid loss?

Old 08-17-2021, 07:03 PM

12,972 posts, read 7,347,489 times
Botox?
Insecticides & flea/tick control on animals?
Diabetes?
Alcohol?
High Blood Pressure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness