Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:53 AM

558 posts, read 433,648 times

Advertisements

My experience has been just the opposite. When I broke my wrist, BCBS initially refused to cover therapy. I received a $4500 bill that I was supposed to pay out of pocket.

I appealed the denial and won. The bill dropped to $360 because of BCBS's negotiated rate.

So as the uninsured, I was expected to pay 10X what insurance pays?

Please don't tell me that the hospital was going to drop that $4500, write it off, etc. For the truly impoverished, probably. For a middle-income family of 2, they said that I had to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 12:27 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,560,839 times
It costs more for uninsured to pay unless the facility is providing the procedure pro bono after checking insurance coverage and financial need. The outpatient surgery centers will cost less but they provide for treatments that generally don't result in complications and overnight bed stays. I paid over 1000 dollars at an orthopedic surgeon's office for broken hand 20 years ago. The New York Times has been running these articles touting low-cost alternatives in residential care homes and ambulatory surgery centers for many years.

Old 08-25-2021, 04:06 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes, things have changed since 2004. It's your responsibility to educate yourself about the terms of your insurance policy. There are no provisions in them that say "if you don't want to pay a bill, just throw it in the trash"

Sending me a $17,000 bill after being in the hospital for 4 weeks is a joke because no average working person doesnt have that kind of money. They should have tacked on another $10,000 to make it $27,000 because I didnt have that either

Old 08-25-2021, 04:33 PM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
medical debt has no effect on your credit score. The credit score deals with loans and credit cards

Wrong.

It's treated more leniently, but it still counts.

https://www.aarp.org/money/credit-lo...dit-score.html

Old 08-25-2021, 04:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
My experience has been just the opposite. When I broke my wrist, BCBS initially refused to cover therapy. I received a $4500 bill that I was supposed to pay out of pocket.

I appealed the denial and won. The bill dropped to $360 because of BCBS's negotiated rate.

Please don't tell me that the hospital was going to drop that $4500, write it off, etc. For the truly impoverished, probably. For a middle-income family of 2, they said that I had to pay.
That's exactly what the hospital did when I stayed 4 days and had surgery for my broken wrist and elbow. I didn't even ask.

And then when I went to therapy, I just asked for the cash pay rate which was 80% off the "list" price.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:00 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Sending me a $17,000 bill after being in the hospital for 4 weeks is a joke because no average working person doesnt have that kind of money. They should have tacked on another $10,000 to make it $27,000 because I didnt have that either
that isn't the point.

You don't get to walk into a car dealership and take a car that you can't afford to pay for and say no worries, they can send me bills and I'll just throw them away because no average person can afford this but I still feel like driving this car.

You received medical services, and you signed paperwork agreeing to pay for them. In reality, most hospitals will work out a payment plan that typically includes forgiving some of the debt. But you have to make a good faith effort, not just assume you don't have to pay because you don't feel like it.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wrong.

There are actually a quite a few different scoring models used by various industries. The model used by mortgage lenders is not likely the same model used by auto lenders or bankcard lenders.

Industry-specific FICO® Scores incorporate the predictive power of base FICO Scores while also providing lenders a further-refined credit risk assessment tailored to the type of credit the consumer is seeking. For example, auto lenders and credit card issuers may use a FICO Auto Score or a FICO Bankcard Score, respectively, instead of base FICO Scores.
https://www.myfico.com/credit-educat...score-versions

Old 08-25-2021, 05:33 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

Did the total amount drop from $4500 to $360, or was $360 your copay?

Old 08-25-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Wrong.

I dont see any medical debt on my credit report

Old 08-25-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that isn't the point.

You don't get to walk into a car dealership and take a car that you can't afford to pay for and say no worries, they can send me bills and I'll just throw them away because no average person can afford this but I still feel like driving this car.

You received medical services, and you signed paperwork agreeing to pay for them. In reality, most hospitals will work out a payment plan that typically includes forgiving some of the debt. But you have to make a good faith effort, not just assume you don't have to pay because you don't feel like it.
What type of effort for $17,000 and only make $31,000 a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness